Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

CEO of Zeiss Sports Optics responds to our questions

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Old Thursday 13th August 2015, 16:32   #51
Troubador
Moderator
 
Troubador's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 9,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post

I do believe he is correct about forums though, management posting in forums is a minefield. That Jensen does it says more about him than about his job title. Most in his position wouldnt touch it with a 10 ft pole.
Dead right PT. Jensen has a talent for it: answering what he can, gently explaining where the can't and all without accompanying BS.

Lee
Troubador is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 13th August 2015, 16:37   #52
ceasar
Registered User

 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: NE Pennsylvania
Posts: 11,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post
I wonder the real impact of no fault warranty on cost. I have read that insiders say in the world of fly rod no fault warranties the impact is around a million dollars a year for some of the larger makers. I know Orvis dropped it to 25 years and it sounds like others may be comtemplating following suit. It has been batted around that dropping the no fault on a $800 fly rod would drop $200 off the cost.


Back in the 1980's I bought a Winston Graphite Fly Rod from a local dealer on the Upper Delaware River and registered it (it had a Serial Number) with Winston, a Montana company. I think I paid $450.00 for it. 2 or 3 years later, after Winston was purchased and under new management, I got a letter from them offering a "Lifetime" guarantee covering any damage to it with payment of $50.00.

It was an eye opener. I had other rods repaired by other companies in the past and unless the repair was very simple I always paid a fee for it.

Bob
ceasar is offline  
Reply With Quote

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Thursday 13th August 2015, 17:15   #53
perterra
Registered User
 
perterra's Avatar

 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: tx
Posts: 1,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceasar View Post
Back in the 1980's I bought a Winston Graphite Fly Rod from a local dealer on the Upper Delaware River and registered it (it had a Serial Number) with Winston, a Montana company. I think I paid $450.00 for it. 2 or 3 years later, after Winston was purchased and under new management, I got a letter from them offering a "Lifetime" guarantee covering any damage to it with payment of $50.00.

It was an eye opener. I had other rods repaired by other companies in the past and unless the repair was very simple I always paid a fee for it.

Bob
$50 in the 80's would probably be close to $200 today. I really wish they would do the no fault similar to the Winston rod you bought. Offer it for those who wish to pay for it.
__________________
"Chan eil aoibhneas gun Chlann Dhomhnaill"
perterra is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 13th August 2015, 20:23   #54
HighNorth
Registered User
 
HighNorth's Avatar

 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Kirkenes
Posts: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post
I wonder the real impact of no fault warranty on cost. I have read that insiders say in the world of fly rod no fault warranties the impact is around a million dollars a year for some of the larger makers. I know Orvis dropped it to 25 years and it sounds like others may be comtemplating following suit. It has been batted around that dropping the no fault on a $800 fly rod would drop $200 off the cost.
It's easy to measure the cost of having a no-fault warranty, but harder to measure the value of having satisfied customers.

HN
HighNorth is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Thursday 13th August 2015, 20:28   #55
perterra
Registered User
 
perterra's Avatar

 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: tx
Posts: 1,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighNorth View Post
It's easy to measure the cost of having a no-fault warranty, but harder to measure the value of having satisfied customers.

HN
Maybe, I probably wouldnt bother with it if it was $200 more. Though in your case, it would have $200 well spent.

I still feel the customer should take some responsibilty for their actions
__________________
"Chan eil aoibhneas gun Chlann Dhomhnaill"
perterra is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 14th August 2015, 02:27   #56
Sagittarius
Registered User
 
Sagittarius's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 182
Thanks for posting the interview from me also, Lee.
__________________
Zeiss Victory HT...simply superb !
Abbe-Konig prisms = superior brightness !
Sagittarius is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 14th August 2015, 03:32   #57
brocknroller
Registered User
 
brocknroller's Avatar

 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Central PA
Posts: 5,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
EtV

You would think so wouldn't you? But actually its not so simple.

How Zeiss has arrived at the quality that the Conquest line possesses at the retail price that it sells for, is not something Zeiss is going to explain in public so that the c,ompetition can do the same thing.

You wouldn't feed this information to your competitors and neither would I....

Lee
In other words, I know something I won't tell, I won't tell, I won't tell, I know something I won't tell, he-hehe-he
brocknroller is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 14th August 2015, 11:20   #58
Troubador
Moderator
 
Troubador's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 9,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pileatus View Post

Laura has an Ultravid...
So does my wife

Lee
Troubador is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 14th August 2015, 11:25   #59
Troubador
Moderator
 
Troubador's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 9,088
More like:

The big ship sails down the ally-ally-oh, the ally-ally-oh, the ally-ally-oh
The big ship sails down the ally-ally-oh, the ally-ally-oh, the ally-ally-oh
The big ship sails down the ally-ally-oh, the ally-ally-oh, the ally-ally-oh
On the last day of September

Go to: http://www.rhymes.org.uk/a122-the-big-ship-sails.htm

And its nothing to do with this thread, but then again I have no idea what you are on about either Brock. Go back to bed.

Lee
Troubador is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 14th August 2015, 11:53   #60
jan van daalen
Registered User

 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: maarssen holland
Posts: 1,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubador View Post
More like:

The big ship sails down the ally-ally-oh, the ally-ally-oh, the ally-ally-oh
The big ship sails down the ally-ally-oh, the ally-ally-oh, the ally-ally-oh
The big ship sails down the ally-ally-oh, the ally-ally-oh, the ally-ally-oh
On the last day of September

Go to: http://www.rhymes.org.uk/a122-the-big-ship-sails.htm

And its nothing to do with this thread, but then again I have no idea what you are on about either Brock. Go back to bed.

Lee
Lee,

Don't waist your breath.

Jan
jan van daalen is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Friday 14th August 2015, 13:22   #61
Troubador
Moderator
 
Troubador's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 9,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagittarius View Post
Thanks for posting the interview from me also, Lee.
Thank you kindly.

Lee
Troubador is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 17th August 2015, 18:27   #62
HighNorth
Registered User
 
HighNorth's Avatar

 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Kirkenes
Posts: 720
Quote:
Originally Posted by perterra View Post
Though in your case, it would have $200 well spent.
Quality product testing ain't cheap!

HN
HighNorth is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Monday 17th August 2015, 19:32   #63
perterra
Registered User
 
perterra's Avatar

 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: tx
Posts: 1,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighNorth View Post
Quality product testing ain't cheap!

HN
__________________
"Chan eil aoibhneas gun Chlann Dhomhnaill"
perterra is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 18th August 2015, 11:01   #64
John Dracon
John Dracon

 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: White Sulphur Springs, Montana
Posts: 908
Lee - Thanks for talking with Herr Scherle. His is a bigger job than some of us may realize. As I read the comments, I'm struck by some that suggest "our wish is his command." Sure some may wish to know more about the inter-workings of Zeiss Sports Optics, but he is under no obligation to satisfy individual curiosities of Zeiss's customers. Certainly, he surpassed anything I've seen coming out of Japanese CEOs. Greater detail may be forthcoming or may not. It is really his choice, and we should honor that.

John
John Dracon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Tuesday 18th August 2015, 18:40   #65
Troubador
Moderator
 
Troubador's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 9,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dracon View Post
Lee - Thanks for talking with Herr Scherle. His is a bigger job than some of us may realize. As I read the comments, I'm struck by some that suggest "our wish is his command." Sure some may wish to know more about the inter-workings of Zeiss Sports Optics, but he is under no obligation to satisfy individual curiosities of Zeiss's customers. Certainly, he surpassed anything I've seen coming out of Japanese CEOs. Greater detail may be forthcoming or may not. It is really his choice, and we should honor that.

John
You are a gentleman, sir, and there aren't many of us left .

Lee
Troubador is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 19th August 2015, 00:23   #66
Subzero888
Registered User

 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: TX
Posts: 185
Lee, Thank you for this interview. I have read many of your posts over the years and your have always been decent and courteous. There aren't many of you left in the anonymity of WWW(World Wild West). If you don't mind I would call you a Proper English Gentleman.
Subzero888 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Wednesday 19th August 2015, 08:02   #67
Troubador
Moderator
 
Troubador's Avatar

 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sheffield
Posts: 9,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzero888 View Post
Lee, Thank you for this interview. I have read many of your posts over the years and your have always been decent and courteous. There aren't many of you left in the anonymity of WWW(World Wild West). If you don't mind I would call you a Proper English Gentleman.
Wow! Errm, crikey.

Thank you for your very kind words.

Lee
Troubador is offline  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
Reply


Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Winners Chosen - Next Drawing is March 4th for Zeiss Sports Optics gr8fuldoug Retailers and Dealers Offers 0 Tuesday 4th February 2014 11:53
Camera Land's One Day Only Zeiss Sports Optics Event gr8fuldoug Retailers and Dealers Offers 0 Saturday 28th September 2013 18:58
Zeiss Sports Optics Show Sample Sale gr8fuldoug Retailers and Dealers Offers 0 Thursday 14th June 2012 13:06
Crazy Deals on Zeiss Sports Optics gr8fuldoug Retailers and Dealers Offers 0 Friday 4th May 2012 21:42
Zeiss Sports Optics Show Sample Sale gr8fuldoug Retailers and Dealers Offers 0 Tuesday 6th March 2012 15:25



Fatbirder's Top 1000 Birding Websites

Help support BirdForum

Page generated in 0.24710608 seconds with 30 queries
All times are GMT. The time now is 02:54.