• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Harris Hawk? (1 Viewer)

Free said:
Is it true this is the only Hawk that will hunt in Packs?
Anyone no much about them?
don't know if this counts but i read about a pair of goshawks creating merryhell near their disturbed nest.The unfortunate human was distracted by one bird which made as if to fly at him, when he suddenly felt a thwack on his back from the other.Apparently he fled from tree to tree seeking shelter while the goshawks took it in turn to hold his attention while the other one swooped.If this isn't a co-ordinated attack i don't know what is!
regards....john

Yes they do, usually in family groups.

They show a bit of intelligence as they drive rabbits into ambushes laid by other members of the group.
Amazing sight.
Falconers have exploited this habit and often hunt Harris hawks in pairs.
John.

John M said:
Yes they do, usually in family groups.

They show a bit of intelligence as they drive rabbits into ambushes laid by other members of the group.
Amazing sight.
Falconers have exploited this habit and often hunt Harris hawks in pairs.
John.

I've seen three H. Hawks hunted together - quite spectacular to watch, though they caught nothing! They followed us around the hillside like dogs - except they flew of course!

Falcons can be flown as a 'cast' - ie. two birds. It used to be far more prevelent than it is now - in fact I don't know anyone that does it. The 'classic' cast flights might be gyrs flown at heron; peregrines at magpie; merlins at skylark.

Wild peregrines have been observed to drive quarry towards another falcon 'waiting on'. I've seen this myself, but couldn't decided whether the behaviour was deliberate or accidental.

saluki

Ned Z said:
Don't know, Dave and Alli, if it's the only hawk that hunts in packs, and can't say that I know a lot about the Harris Hawk, which is not native in my part of the States. But I have watched them at work; see my comment in "Favorite Hawk" thread.
http://http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=34029

There are quite a few raptors which will hunt in pairs in the wild (one flushes, the other catches)- examples would Golden Eagle, Saker Falcon. What's unusual about Harris Hawk is that they hunt in larger co-ordinated groups.

The Harris Hawk does hunt in family packs, and tghey share there prize. I have two Harris Hawks. They are amazing birds. They are the most successful predater on the planet with a 70 % sucess rate

mikealison said:
The Harris Hawk does hunt in family packs, and tghey share there prize. I have two Harris Hawks. They are amazing birds. They are the most successful predater on the planet with a 70 % sucess rate

Only in a group.The Goshawk is a faster and more of an efficiant predator. They are relentless in their persuit of prey and will run on the ground through thick undergrowth to catch their dinner.

Nethertheless they are both superb birds of prey.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back