Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Faulty Swarovski binoculars.

Old Sunday 17th December 2017, 14:56   #1
john.roberts

Faulty Swarovski binoculars.

After having nothing but trouble with my 18-month-old Swarovski 8.5x42 EL and returning them back to the factory in Austria 3 times in under two years.Twice for a jammed focus wheel and the other for faulty zoom focusing.They've actually spent 12 weeks in transit to Austria in that 18 months i've owned them. I've finally got rid of the most troublesome pair of binoculars I've ever owned.I think my pair was a late Friday afternoon assembled pair.I know there a top brand and make good optics but my binoculars let me down so many times they had to go after spending a lot of money on top of the range pair of binoculars i've never been so disappointed.So now I've got a new pair or Leica noctivids 8x42 and there brilliant.
Old Sunday 17th December 2017, 15:22   #2
jan van daalen

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.roberts View Post
After having nothing but trouble with my 18-month-old Swarovski 8.5x42 EL and returning them back to the factory in Austria 3 times in under two years.Twice for a jammed focus wheel and the other for faulty zoom focusing.They've actually spent 12 weeks in transit to Austria in that 18 months i've owned them. I've finally got rid of the most troublesome pair of binoculars I've ever owned.I think my pair was a late Friday afternoon assembled pair.I know there a top brand and make good optics but my binoculars let me down so many times they had to go after spending a lot of money on top of the range pair of binoculars i've never been so disappointed.So now I've got a new pair or Leica noctivids 8x42 and there brilliant.
Hi John,

Sorry to hear about your bad experiences and congrets with the Nocti.
Together with the SF they are The Three Musketeers

I wonder, what did you do with that EL?

Jan
Old Sunday 17th December 2017, 16:52   #3
ticl2184

Swarovski binoculars are simply the best on the market in my opinion. ....I've only had to send a pair back twice in 10 years ...They sent me a new pair on the second occasion ...No argument. ...Can't praise Swarovski enough....

I wonder what the hell happened to yours ....I don't doubt you ...It just doesn't sound like Swarovski customer service to me....

Cheers Tim
Old Sunday 17th December 2017, 17:18   #4
Jabberwocky

Good luck with the Leicas, if they need repair be prepared to wait at least twice as long for the repair.

Lewis
Old Sunday 17th December 2017, 17:44   #5
john.roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan van daalen View Post
Hi John,

Sorry to hear about your bad experiences and congrets with the Nocti.
Together with the SF they are The Three Musketeers

I wonder, what did you do with that EL?

Jan
I Part exchanged them.
Old Sunday 17th December 2017, 17:51   #6
john.roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ticl2184 View Post
Swarovski binoculars are simply the best on the market in my opinion. ....I've only had to send a pair back twice in 10 years ...They sent me a new pair on the second occasion ...No argument. ...Can't praise Swarovski enough....

I wonder what the hell happened to yours ....I don't doubt you ...It just doesn't sound like Swarovski customer service to me....

Cheers Tim
Hi Tim.I never once had any trouble getting them repaired but when I did ask them to exchange them they said they do repairs free of charge but don't exchange them.I was just fed up with all the trouble with them in the end and all the hassle and cost of sending them back to the uk branch then they would send them to Austria.
Old Sunday 17th December 2017, 19:15   #7
ticl2184

Do you like the Noctivids better John...
Old Sunday 17th December 2017, 19:17   #8
Torview

Hi John, I guess even at the top tier a lemon gets made every once in a while, glad you are pleased with the NV, out of curiosity what do you mean by zoom focusing ?
Old Sunday 17th December 2017, 19:29   #9
john.roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torview View Post
Hi John, I guess even at the top tier a lemon gets made every once in a while, glad you are pleased with the NV, out of curiosity what do you mean by zoom focusing?
Focus wheel wasn't working the first time then it jammed twice.I did say it was a dam one-off pair I called it late Friday afternoon assembly.
Old Sunday 17th December 2017, 19:56   #10
john.roberts

Quote:
Do you like the Noctivids better John...
Really pleased with the Leica Noctivids for short time I've owned them.I don't like slagging off optic company's I even told Swarovski that my pair was one off pair.
Old Monday 18th December 2017, 02:01   #11
james holdsworth
Consulting Biologist

Quote:
Swarovski binoculars are simply the best on the market in my opinion. ....I've only had to send a pair back twice in 10 years
Cheers Tim
Hardly a ringing endorsement. Bins at this level should last a lifetime without problems. They are, after all, very simple devices with very few parts to fail. If any of my 'alpha' level bins need to go in for service, I'll be pretty displeased.
Old Monday 18th December 2017, 05:11   #12
[email protected]

Quote:
Originally Posted by james holdsworth View Post
Hardly a ringing endorsement. Bins at this level should last a lifetime without problems. They are, after all, very simple devices with very few parts to fail. If any of my 'alpha' level bins need to go in for service, I'll be pretty displeased.
Many members on Bird Forum have had some kind of trouble even with their alpha-level binoculars. Not even Zeiss, Swarovski, Leica or Nikon are immune from problems. Zeiss has had their fair share of problems with poor eye cups and staining armour and Swarovski has had sticky focuser complaints while Leica has had water leaks and Nikon even with their top binocular the EDG had had diopter problems. Nobody puts out perfect binoculars all the time but I have had a lot of binoculars and even though not all have been perfect I would agree with ticl2184 and say overall I think Swarovski makes very fine binoculars especially if optics are important to you and in my experience has some of the best service and support.

Last edited by [email protected] : Monday 18th December 2017 at 05:41.
Old Monday 18th December 2017, 08:39   #13
ticl2184

James Holdsworth. ...

It is a ringing endorsement for Swarovski actually .....I've owned Zeiss, Leica and Nikon Alphas...
Zeiss were the worst ...Must have sent them back about 9 times ...Leica were second about 6 times closely followed by Nikon...

I've owned several Swarovski binoculars and scopes over a 15 year period....In that time I've only had to send one pair back twice ...And that was for a minor optical issue that the majority wouldn't notice, let alone send back if they did....

Can't praise Swarovski highly enough ..

Cheers Tim
Old Monday 18th December 2017, 13:32   #14
jan van daalen

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.roberts View Post
I Part exchanged them.
John,

This, not being my native language, I don't understand.
You mean you traded it in to get the Nocti?

Jan (Dutch for John
Old Monday 18th December 2017, 13:40   #15
john.roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jan van daalen View Post
John,

This, not being my native language, I don't understand.
You mean you traded it in to get the Nocti?

Jan (Dutch for John
Hi Jan.Yes, I traded them in for Noctivids and I did tell the dealer that they had just come back from being repaired by Swarovski.
Old Monday 18th December 2017, 14:02   #16
james holdsworth
Consulting Biologist

Quote:
James Holdsworth. ...

It is a ringing endorsement for Swarovski actually .....I've owned Zeiss, Leica and Nikon Alphas...
Zeiss were the worst ...Must have sent them back about 9 times ...Leica were second about 6 times closely followed by Nikon...

I've owned several Swarovski binoculars and scopes over a 15 year period....In that time I've only had to send one pair back twice ...And that was for a minor optical issue that the majority wouldn't notice, let alone send back if they did....

Can't praise Swarovski highly enough ..

Cheers Tim

I guess I have been lucky - my alphas [Elites for 10 years] then Zeiss have all been faultless.

I stand by what I said - at this price-point, sending bins back twice in 10 years is not top quality. I've had ''sub'' alpha problems [Conquests] and have been vocal about that. If my HT's crap out, for sure you will hear about it and not in a fawning manner.
Old Monday 18th December 2017, 17:36   #17
ticl2184

James Holdsworth. ..

It's not fawning ....It's fact ....
And if you think your never going to have to get a pair of Alphas serviced you should move LA....They'd love you there ...They live in a dream world as well..

Cheers Tim
Old Monday 18th December 2017, 18:38   #18
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by james holdsworth View Post
I guess I have been lucky - my alphas [Elites for 10 years] then Zeiss have all been faultless.

I stand by what I said - at this price-point, sending bins back twice in 10 years is not top quality. I've had ''sub'' alpha problems [Conquests] and have been vocal about that. If my HT's crap out, for sure you will hear about it and not in a fawning manner.
Quote:
James Holdsworth. ..

And if you think your never going to have to get a pair of Alphas serviced you should move LA....They'd love you there ...They live in a dream world as well..

Cheers Tim
Gentlemen
We are all prisoners of our own experience to some extent and sometimes it can be difficult to relate to someone else's experience and how that fits with their expectations if different from our own.

Lee
Old Monday 18th December 2017, 22:58   #19
james holdsworth
Consulting Biologist

Quote:
James Holdsworth. ..

Cheers Tim
I've got four pair of Classic Zeiss and a Design Selection and Oberkocken - these range in age from 18 to 40 + years. All are perfect / faultless and are still used regularly. I expect them to remain so for years to come.

Like I said, if my HT craps out, I'll be very displeased with the company as well as the durability / reliably of the product. Alpha bins should be engineered for a lifetime of reliable use. Maybe thats just me though......I just don't want the hassle of shipping my bins to Germany, waiting for weeks or months and then [possibly] having them come back damaged or even unfixed - like the stories posted here for all makes.

Seriously though, this is not rocket science and the mechanics of a binocular are not that complicated nor should they be failure prone - we have sealed glass tubes and a focus mechanism - if they can't make that last then they are under-engineered. IMO.

We should focus on the thread topic - which is another Swaro focus problem. It is just not on to think that Swaro didn't completely screw the pooch on the SV focusers - there are a great many complaints on this forum alone.

Last edited by james holdsworth : Tuesday 19th December 2017 at 00:08. Reason: removed some hot-button language
Old Tuesday 19th December 2017, 08:47   #20
ticl2184

I love the way Lee intervenes on these occasion's when members disagree ....Like some all wise all knowing binocular guru...
Not being funny Lee....But James Holdsworth and I are quite capable of discussing this matter without arbitration....
I actually agree with James....At this level the binoculars should be faultless. ..If Swarovski can't fix a problem they should replace it....But anything with moving parts will eventually need servicing at some point even a Alpha bin....

Cheers Tim
Old Tuesday 19th December 2017, 13:31   #21
ceasar

This is still a public forum isn't it?

Bob

BF Supporter 2010 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 19th December 2017, 17:34   #22
Torview

Is it fair to Swarovski to say they have focus problems ?, this is the first account I can recall reading on these pages of a mechanical failure with an EL.

Its true that many have complained about Swaro focusers but this was mainly about the feel of the action rather than any problem achieving sharp focus. Lets not forget the EL once released has had no reports I can remember of diopter drift, which has been reported in Leica and Nikon models using an integrated focus diopter system.

I`v used several Swaro`s with a less than buttery action but all worked effectively, my own experience is that its a non issue now with the FP models.

Lets not forget the grey SF had an underwhelming focus action.
Old Tuesday 19th December 2017, 18:14   #23
Troubador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torview View Post
Is it fair to Swarovski to say they have focus problems ?, this is the first account I can recall reading on these pages of a mechanical failure with an EL.

Its true that many have complained about Swaro focusers but this was mainly about the feel of the action rather than any problem achieving sharp focus. Lets not forget the EL once released has had no reports I can remember of diopter drift, which has been reported in Leica and Nikon models using an integrated focus diopter system.

I`v used several Swaro`s with a less than buttery action but all worked effectively, my own experience is that its a non issue now with the FP models.

Lets not forget the grey SF had an underwhelming focus action.
That some folks have found EL focusers not to their liking is undeniable. That others have had more significant problems with their EL's focuser (including me) is true.

But I still maintain what I have been saying for years (and I am more a Zeiss fan than a Swaro disciple) and that is that the Swarovski EL didn't become the number one market best seller amongst alpha models by a large percentage of units having rubbish focusers.

Lee
Old Tuesday 19th December 2017, 18:34   #24
ticl2184

Lee....

Zeiss are not the top seller my friend ...Don't know where you got that info from ...I'm in touch with most of the main suppliers in the UK and I'm told Swarovski sell on a 3:1 ratio compared to Zeiss..

Cheers Tim
Old Tuesday 19th December 2017, 19:58   #25
jan van daalen

Quote:
Lee....

Zeiss are not the top seller my friend ...Don't know where you got that info from ...I'm in touch with most of the main suppliers in the UK and I'm told Swarovski sell on a 3:1 ratio compared to Zeiss..

Cheers Tim
Tim,

That is not what I read in Lee's post. He doesn't say Zeiss is the top seller. IMHO he says Swaro didn't become the top dog for no reason. The may have (had) issues with their focusser but Swaro is still the top seller.
That is what he is saying.

Now I am saying that in Holland (2017) it is 60/39 in regards to SV/SF and NV is 1. HT versus SLC is 30/70. In the past it was ratio 5:1 (green:blue).
A complete Generation grew up with green because red and blue weren't compatible. For blue these days are over.

Jan
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: