• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Book Wanted "The Hen Harrier" (1 Viewer)

barontan2418

United Kingdom
Hello out there

the Hen Harrier - Published 1977 - by Donald Watson.

Does anybody know of a copy of this book that might be for sale or in a lending library in the UK? I just missed a copy for sale on EBay going for £60, which would be around my limit. Or anybody who might want to swop a copy for the Sparrowhawk by Ian Newton. Any help much appreciated. I'm lucky enough to be assisting English Nature as a volunteer on the Hen Harrier Recovery Project and am keen to learn all I can about this magnificent raptor.

Mick Baron
Leeds

barontan2418 said:
Hello out there

Does anybody know of a copy of this book that might be for sale or in a lending library in the UK? I just missed a copy for sale on EBay going for £60, which would be around my limit. Or anybody who might want to swop a copy for the Sparrowhawk by Ian Newton. Any help much appreciated. I'm lucky enough to be assisting English Nature as a volunteer on the Hen Harrier Recovery Project and am keen to learn all I can about this magnificent raptor.

Mick Baron
Leeds
Mike - Try going through the Advanced Book Exchange :

http://www.abebooks.co.uk/

If you put your book in the search on the front page it comes back with 9 copies available second hand, the cheapest of which is £52 from Barter Books, Alnwick, UK. ... ranging to £150 from C. Arden of Hreford. I've bought a fiar bit through ABE & they offer a very reliable service.

Annie

barontan2418 said:
Hello out there

Mick Baron
Leeds
Hi,

Any lending Library in the UK will be able to get hold of a copy for you, just ask. It might take some time depending on if they have it in the County. If not they'll order it thro' the UK library network.

Sometimes if the books at another library in the County, next day delivery is the norm. Otherwise it could be about 14 days.

Also you may keep hold of it for 21 days and if nobody requires it you can renew it.

Chris

Thanks for reply

Thanks Chris, I'll try ordering it through my local library, not sure I'm that confident though, it's been out of print for quite a long time.

Mick

barontan2418 said:
Thanks Chris, I'll try ordering it through my local library, not sure I'm that confident though, it's been out of print for quite a long time.

Mick
Yes, the library service will have it and not just one. The problem might be getting it quickly enough for you. If you have the ISBN number the library you go to can tell you where it's stocked, within minutes. And give you an estimate when it will be available.

Chris

Isbn

CravenBirds said:
Yes, the library service will have it and not just one. The problem might be getting it quickly enough for you. If you have the ISBN number the library you go to can tell you where it's stocked, within minutes. And give you an estimate when it will be available.

Chris

Thanks again, I've just found the ISBN number so I will be visiting my local library just as soon as they pos.

Cheers

Mick Baron

barontan2418 said:

Mick

Mick - a few years ago I managed to get a long out-of-print book (about robins) from my local library. It was retrieved from store, and I continued to renew it for several months - until someone put in a request for it! :eek!: I had been on the point of writing to ask if I could buy it, because no-one else seemed to be interested in it!!!

Fortunately I subsequently found it in one of the many book shops in Hay-on-Wye.

CravenBirds said:
If you have the ISBN number the library you go to can tell you where it's stocked, within minutes. And give you an estimate when it will be available.......... Chris
If you haven't got it the ISBN no. is 0856610151 according to ABE

Elizabeth Bigg said:
Mick - a few years ago I managed to get a long out-of-print book (about robins) from my local library. It was retrieved from store, and I continued to renew it for several months - until someone put in a request for it! :eek!: I had been on the point of writing to ask if !!!

Fortunately I subsequently found it in one of the many book shops in Hay-on-Wye.
"If I could buy it, because no-one else seemed to be interested in it"

Luv that;) That's the problem now with libraries having to make money!
Selling their stock from the stores for peanuts! I'll bet a few book dealers have had a field-day in recent years buying a bargain.

ATB

Chris

Elizabeth Bigg said:
Ah Hay-on-Wye ... my spiritual home. The one question designed to make me go weak at the knees is `fancy a trip out to Hay ?' ..... particularly just after payday !!

AnnieW said:
Ah Hay-on-Wye ... my spiritual home. The one question designed to make me go weak at the knees is `fancy a trip out to Hay ?' ..... particularly just after payday !!
When I was young and penniless I used to starve so I could go there! Picked up some rare and irreplacable stuff though so the agony was worth it.

Jason

Bluetail said:
When I was young and penniless I used to starve so I could go there! Picked up some rare and irreplacable stuff though so the agony was worth it. Jason
Strange - I've been known to be penniless & have had to starve after a day out there ;)

With you on the stuff though ..... I may soon have to move out of the house to make room for the books !!

Books

I know the feeling about moving out due to the number of books ! Visited Oxford yesterday and spent loads at Blackwells.Such a pity some of the excellent second-hand shops have re-located (two I can think of ) and one other gone onto Internet sales only.Rents are expensive in cities these days !
Mervyn.

Hello out there

the "Hen Harrier" - Published 1977 - by Donald Watson.

Does anybody know of a copy of this book that might be for sale or in a lending library in the UK? I just missed a copy for sale on EBay going for £60, which would be around my limit.
Mick Baron

Just out of curiosity I did a search for this book. Price ranges from $91 to $300.
Ya just gotta laff at the variations.

Malky @ Westhill

Interestingly, the cheapest copy (which has a torn dust cover, missing title page and 5 pages replaced by photocopies) is available through any one of three different agents at £47.13, £53.54 and £56.48 respectively!

Jason

headington7 said:
I know the feeling about moving out due to the number of books ! Visited Oxford yesterday and spent loads at Blackwells.Such a pity some of the excellent second-hand shops have re-located (two I can think of ) and one other gone onto Internet sales only.Rents are expensive in cities these days !
Mervyn.
Is Thornton's still there ?? I remember spending a rather scary amount of money there several years back - but it looks from their web site as if the shop closed in 2002, which is a shame. Although I purchase many books via the internet (mainly using ABE), nothing beats wandering around an old shop - I find the smell intoxicating.
:smoke:

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back