• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Chickens? (1 Viewer)

Andrew

wibble wibble
Do we count the many variations of Chickens when out doing our lists? God, there's a whole lotta chicken species out there man!

The real reason for this thread is this . . .

Watching telly and seeing a chicken made me think. Where did they come from in the first place, how come there are no wild chickens yet we eat millions of them? Why are they all on farms? What was the bloke like when he found the first chicken?

There are a few different species of Jungle fowl, which I believe all chickens originate from.
I think the common ancestor is the red Jungle fowl.
They are I think from the far east not exactly sure where, could be wrong.

Rich

http://www.lifetimefitness.com/magazine/index.cfm?web_action=article_detail&article_id=105

Snipped from here, after a quick search:

All chickens are descended from Gallus Domesticus, whose ancestors were wild jungle fowl. The first known domestication of chickens took place in India and China, roughly four thousand years ago. By a.d. 200 the Romans and Celts were breeding chickens specifically for large breast size. Not much has changed since.

And this has more info too:

http://www.xmission.com/~hoglezoo/birds/jungfowl.htm

Thanks for the info, amazed to see there are wild chickens around the world, would you tick it if you saw Gallus Gallus? I reckon I would cos it's wild and it looks great.

Which reminds me...

I saw a couple of Guinea Fowl on the way to Clumber the other day.

Can I tick them???;)

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back