• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coopers Hawk? Prairie Falcon? (1 Viewer)

Walter, do you know the width of that vertical board of the fence on which the hawk is sitting in your first photograph? Knowing that could perhaps give us an indication of the size of the bird.

Lady in the room

Guys

Haven't you noticed there is a lady asking questions here?

Would be nice if you would answer her and show that you do have some good manners after all.

Lee

Thanks, Lee, for your post.

Sorry, Annabeth2, no disrespect intended. I took your questions to be rhetorical and therefore did not respond to them.

Annabeth said:
What about the capped vs hooded appearance?
I'm having difficulty telling from the pics.

Seems we are all having the same difficulty.

Annabeth said:
Wouldn't the capped head pattern be diagnostic for coopers?
In the third pic it looks hooded but this could just be shadow.

Edit: but in the first photo it looks capped

Yes, capped head pattern is diagnostic for Cooper's Hawk.

* A rhetorical question is a figure of speech in the form of a question that is asked in order to make a point.

I measured the fence slats, they are 3.5 inches (8.9 centimeters) wide. From the horizontal board, to the top of the fence is - I think - 4 inches (10.16 centimeters).

Again, I want to mention that the photo on the far left (4.jpg) may be a different bird than the bird in the other three photos.

The bird also looks something like the Chilean hawk on this page.

http://www.avianweb.com/hawks.htm

Thanks Lee and Larry. btw I do know the meaning of rhetorical. :)
If the photos were less blurry we might be able to make a positive
ID. I can't say for sure whether this is a SSH or CH. I think we'll
need more opinions since it seems we haven't been able to reach a consensus yet.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back