• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swinhoe's White-eye? Owl. South Korea (1 Viewer)

In Nature

I used to live in South Korea, so I sometimes get questions from there, sometimes passed through many hands.

The questions I got this time were: 1) Is this an example of the Swinhoe's White-eye that is a result of the 2019 re-classification of white-eyes? 2) Is this recording from Seoul on October 3, 2019 an owl? If so, what kind?

1) The photo of the white-eye is said to have been taken in the west coast (Yellow Sea coast) South Korean city of Gunsan in April 2011.

2) The proposed owl in the recording was said to have been heard repeating the "chirping" sound in the recording at intervals of 10-20 seconds 3-4 times. Then a pause for a minute or so and a repeat of that cycle. It did this for 5-10 minutes. Then it was briefly heard in another part of the location where it was recorded and then was gone. It was never seen--only heard.

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• White-eye, Gunsan, South Korea, April 2011, IMG_1037.JPG
    White-eye, Gunsan, South Korea, April 2011, IMG_1037.JPG
    341.1 KB · Views: 21
  • Owl recording, Seoul, 2019 10 03, IMG_6881, mp3 file.mp3
    96.7 KB · Views: 20
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back