• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird I.D. please North East England (1 Viewer)

Ray.Scott

Posted this rescently on my local Bird Forum with mixed results on I.D.

Possibly either yellow wagtail or meadow pipit.

Can anyone confirm It's Identity.

Attachments

• _MG_5168.jpg
    _MG_5168.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 275
Posted this rescently on my local Bird Forum with mixed results on I.D.

Possibly either yellow wagtail or meadow pipit.

Can anyone confirm It's Identity.

Looked at young Yellow Wag pictures on the net and one flava looked very similar. Am sure it's not a Mipit.

Await more sage views than mine however.

As said on the local thread juv Meadow Pipit would'nt have a pale supercilium and they would show streaking on the breast .The colour of the underparts of bird in the pic look yellowish.I would say it was a juv Yellow Wagtail.Also MP have a pale eye ring which the bird in the pic does'nt have.

To me, the bird seems too stocky, and the bill to short and bulky for a young Yellow wagtail. But I have no other ideas at the moment...

Last edited:
First time I saw a recently fledged juvenile Yellow Wagtail I thought about many birds but not a wagtail. Tail action and call eventually lead me to the right species.

Face of a female Bluethroat, shape of a pipit, tail action like a Common Sandpiper, and... call like a Yellow Wagtail!!!
:)

This bird is very similar but more yellowish (my bird was brown).

So to me, I agree it is a Yellow Wagtail!

Regards,

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back