• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baby birds in my garage ... in my kid's gym bag?? (1 Viewer)

DBrinson

I started to wheel my BBQ grill out for a Memorial Day BBQ and here's what I found:

BBQ_Grill_Birdhouse.jpg

BabyBirdBeaks.jpg

I've observed a brown bird going in and out of my garage for the last few weeks. We drive our van in and out of the garage 10 times a day. So it seems improbable.

Few questions come to mind:

1. What kind of mother raises her baby birds on a BBQ grill?
  2. I moved the grill 5 feet before realizing it was inhabited and moved it back (didn't touch the nest) Is the mother going to keep caring for the fledgelings?
  3. Can I move the nest off of my grill? (without touching it) My three "human fledgelings" are hungry and I have a fridge full of uncooked meat.
  4. See #1.

I live on Escambia Bay so we get a lot of bird activity.

I knew before even looking at the links that this would be a Carolina Wren. They are notorious for finding spots like this to nest in.

Is it possible to move it to something stable where the grill was. You've got less of a chance of the parent deserting the nest now that they've hatched but if you move it too far, I can't tell you what will happen.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Your tenant is definitely a Carolina Wren. They will build a nest in the oddest places. I had one checking out one of my boots I had left out on the porch.

The nestlings will fledge 12-14 days after they hatched.

Kudos to you for buying a new grill. It would be illegal (and wrong) to move the nest, although that would not have stopped many people. At this point I would just leave it alone, they will be gone soon enough.

Mike

Last edited:
Thanks for the ID and tips guys!

The baby birds are already trying to hop out of the nest, so I expect them to be flapping around my garage soon. I will try to keep you posted with updates.

I have no idea what it is.

Just a hint, you might want to try not using a flash given the darkness of the garage, it winds up being quite a contrast to the birds. ;)

Looks like they're all doing just fine and we thank you for your patience dealing with this. Karma has a way of paying you back ;)

I have no idea what it is.

Just a hint, you might want to try not using a flash given the darkness of the garage, it winds up being quite a contrast to the birds. ;)

Looks like they're all doing just fine and we thank you for your patience dealing with this. Karma has a way of paying you back ;)

Funny that you mention karma, I am not much of a "bird person" but last year I put up a bird feeder and stocked it with freeze-dried beetle larvae (the kind you get at a pet store to feed to reptiles).

The insects at my house were so oppressive, I thought that attracting insectivorous birds would help control them, and it certainly did based on my observations of the deerfly population.

We had a couple of nesting bluebirds last year in addition to the familiar wren songs that we heard a lot of. So karma has already "come home to roost" here. |8)|

Got my side door set up with a camera and a dark cloth behind it now.

Can anyone guess what this "Mystery Meal" is?

(Looks like a juicy grub is my guess.)

http://www.brinsonfamily.org/images/Baby_Birds/MysteryFood.jpg

Wish the forum let me post images directly but the link works anyways. I took that shot just a few minutes ago.

It looks like a feacal sack to me : )
coming out not going in
Mary
PS you can post directly use the paper clip attachment and make sure images small about 600X600

Carolina wrens are fun to have around. Very inquisitive and love to nest in the oddest places as you found out. The fecal sac is actually the droppings of the young wrapped in a neat package for the mom or dad to get rid of away from the nest keeping the nest neat and not attracting predators to the nest. I've posted a couple pics of carolinas nest in a gourd on my porch.

Thanks for the help birdwatchers!

I am pleased to report that the fledgelings have flown the nest, and are cheeping in a tree outside of my garage, making a surprising amount of noise.

Too bad the parents didn't keep the "diapers" coming, the birds made an astonishing amount of bird poop in my garage on their final day. I am a bit disappointed that I missed their flying lessons.

So ... what do I do to certify my BBQ grill is safe to move?

Does the mother use the same nest over and over?

If she does, I'd like to (before she lays more eggs in it) at least move the gym bag to a safer corner of the garage than where it is now, it is literally in the area of my garage with the highest traffic, right where my boys load into the side of the minivan. It has been very stressful loading them in and out every day while trying to keep them from accidentally disturbing the birds.

I love Carolina Wrens. :) They are so nosy....it's cute. I've caught them inspecting the inside of my windchime pipes on my front porch, and they have had broods in my hanging ferns.

It's my understanding that they do not reuse a nest. After the birds fledge, the nest is usually flat and is unsanitary. I've heard of nests being constructed on top of other nests, but that usually only happens in birdhouses.

Thanks for sharing your story!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back