• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Miami Exotics (2 Viewers)

SidmouthBirder

Returning to Florida in April for a couple of weeks birding. I've got the itinerary pretty much planned out, except for the Miami area where I want to find the 'exotics' (parakeets etc.). Will be coming from the north, Brian Piccolo Park for Burrowing Owls, heading down to Homestead. Can anyone give reliable areas in between those where I should find them? Thanks in advance.

EBird will tell you all you want to know with up to the day information. My wife and I will be in Miami in late April. Brewer's Roost, Miami Springs, University of Miami, Kendall neighborhood are several places that come to mind from my research.
Do you have a list?

Steve

EBird will tell you all you want to know with up to the day information. My wife and I will be in Miami in late April. Brewer's Roost, Miami Springs, University of Miami, Kendall neighborhood are several places that come to mind from my research.
Do you have a list?

Steve

Thanks, Steve. Since posting my question, I've just added Key Biscayne and Matheson Hammock as likely locations. Will take a look at your suggestions also.

Brewer's Park is also known as Miller Drive Roost. Another location is Pine Woods Park, which has come to my attention recently through Miami-Dade eBird reports as having Red-whiskered Bulbul, Spot-breasted Oriole, Scaly-breasted Oriole and Monk Parakeet. Looking on satellite view, it is just a small, neighborhood park that appears to be mostly a power line right of way but apparently has what it takes to attract exotics.
One odd place we plan to visit is Ocean Bank, the best location for White-winged Parakeet. I think there are some tall palms where the birds roost. I think for many of the psittacids, staking out evening roost spots will be the surest way to find them.
You might glean some other information out of my 2014 Miami trip report:
https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=281090

Steve

Millers roost can be very productive. Best time is early, sunrise. Watch for macaw flybys. Parrots will roost across canal in Australian pines. Spot breasted Orioles in surrounding neighborhood. Check ebird for Miami springs area also

Randy

Millers roost can be very productive. Best time is early, sunrise. Watch for macaw flybys. Parrots will roost across canal in Australian pines. Spot breasted Orioles in surrounding neighborhood. Check ebird for Miami springs area also

Randy

Many thanks to both, Randy and Steve - that gives me lots to work with. Enjoyed reading your trip report, Steve.

Bob.

Randy

As mentioned in the trip report, we went to Miami Springs twice and never saw a single exotic. Recently though, according to eBird reports, many different parakeets are being seen there. The reports are mostly from the morning; we went in the evening. Lesson learned!

Steve

As mentioned in the trip report, we went to Miami Springs twice and never saw a single exotic. Recently though, according to eBird reports, many different parakeets are being seen there. The reports are mostly from the morning; we went in the evening. Lesson learned!

Steve

Thanks again. So many lessons I need to learn!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back