• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

No Exotics (1 Viewer)

George Garner

I'm not an envious person, at least I try not to be

But I go a little green around the gills, when I read what you others see.

My garden birds are the common sort, no exotic ones among them.

Just the usual suspects, Blackbird, Sparrow, Starling and Wren.

I provide food, water and a birdbath, to make them welcome as can be.

But still the more exoticbirds,refuse to visit me.

George

What a lovely poem George,

You perform an important function for our garden birds. If we didn't feed them there would be even less of them than there are now. Give yourself a pat on the back, well done.

Cheers :t:

Cathy H said:
What a lovely poem George,

You perform an important function for our garden birds. If we didn't feed them there would be even less of them than there are now. Give yourself a pat on the back, well done.

Cheers :t:

Hello George

Cathy is quite right, it doesn't matter what kind of birds they are - they are all important. My favourite is the shy, unassuming Dunnock - it needs feeding and looking after just as much as the Nuthatches, Woodpeckers of this world, probably more so as many people do not take much notice of the little dunnock. You are some birds lifeline in this cold, freezing weather and I am sure if they were able to undersand they would be grateful to call you their friend. |>| |:D| |>|

Bridie

Cracking bit of rhyming there George.
I'd like to get a sparrow in my garden,they are very scarce in my area. We don't actually get that many starlings around here, so don't think you are deprived. I'll swap a few chaffinches for some spuggies.
Keith

Keith Dickinson said:
Cracking bit of rhyming there George.
I'd like to get a sparrow in my garden,they are very scarce in my area. We don't actually get that many starlings around here, so don't think you are deprived. I'll swap a few chaffinches for some spuggies.
Keith

Hi Keith
You have a deal, what's the going rate, I reckon two Spuggies to one Chaffinch. What do you think.
George

Hi George,

Can I get in on the act? I get loads of chaffies. There are spuggies about not far from me but they never seem to move on up the hill. The magpie has only just made it and we've been here 3 years!!!

Bridie, yes I did take it myself. I made a note about it on the thread re new year wishes. It was taken at the Lake of Menteith between Christmas and New Year.

Regards, :t:

Hi George You know I for one envy you I have to travel to see my birds, I wish I could just see common birds as you do. I might see more exotic ones ie Bitterns and Little Egrets and Herons nesting but I drive hundred of miles each year to do my birding, it seems like heaven to be able to watch birds in ones own garden as most posters do. Reckon Bill got it right about enjoying birds anywere you find them.
Good Birding PeterK

Hi George, great poem but I agree with the others that even the commonest of birds can brighten up our days and, as they say "one man's meat...." I've been ecstatic this Winter to have one songthrush and four blackbirds in the garden. That's more than I've ever had in all the years we've lived here.

:bounce:

Don't worry about not having much in your garden.

After setting up a new feeder station at the beginning of december, I have only just began to get the same numbers as I did beforehand.
one thing I don't like though, some people who live closer to the nearby woodlands than me, who also feed the birds, get more, chances are, they also get the local nuthatches on a reguar basis.

ant

Bridie said:
Hello Cathy

I like your avator - did you take it yourself?? You will make Linda jealous!!

Bridie

Bonsoir dear Bridie - you are SO right! Jealous isn't the word!!!
:storm: LOL !!!

Cathy, stop robin me of my pleasures in life!!! :-O

Keith: OK, you may have 10 of our Spadgers for a pair of Robins. Deal? o:D
(I don't want to make you jealous, but we have at least 40 Spadgers now, and Spring is just around the corner... oooooh!)

Hi George! I agree with the others - lovely poem! Sums up the situation chez moi too, except for the Wrens. But we do get the Waddling Woodies, who give us plenty of laughs (and quite a few :eek!: in the mating season!!!)

Bonne nuit, mes amis! :gn:

George Garner said:
I'm not an envious person, at least I try not to be

But I go a little green around the gills, when I read what you others see.

My garden birds are the common sort, no exotic ones among them.

Just the usual suspects, Blackbird, Sparrow, Starling and Wren.

I provide food, water and a birdbath, to make them welcome as can be.

But still the more exoticbirds,refuse to visit me.

George
Cracking poem George and remember your garden birds are just as important as any others elsewhere!

Hi George

Nice poem - I know how you feel but the odd "rarity" always makes it exciting.

My gripe is with all these finch hoggers ! ;) I'll share some of Keiths chaffinches with you.

I also get 30+ spuggies but just one each of goldfinch, greenfinch and chaffinch - and they're only around for about 2 minutes !

It's great to have this banter too.

andy

ps Haven't seen my IBW for a while though!! ;)

Exotics 2

Ive listened to all you good people, and heeded what you have to say.
And now I've resolved to enjoy whatever birds come my way.

Ive been and scrubbed out the birdbath,and the water bowl is all nice and clean.
Iv'e replenished all of the feeders, to show that I'm still very keen.

I'm now sitting here at the computer, watching the garden while I wait.
To see which of my feathered friends, arrive to take up my bait.

George

George Garner said:

Ive been and scrubbed out the birdbath,and the water bowl is all nice and clean.

George
LOL!!!!!
Very good,of course now you've cleaned and tidied you'll be deserted!!!!

Andy,what is an IBW???

Best wishes,

Ruth Daniel said:

LOL!!!!!
Very good,of course now you've cleaned and tidied you'll be deserted!!!!

Andy,what is an IBW???

Best wishes,

Hi ruth

It's a very elusive bird not often spotted in Hemel!

I'm going to leave you to do some research though. It is a bit tongue in cheek too. ;)

George Garner said:

George

Hello George

I do like a poem that rhymes :clap: :clap: !!!

Just you wait, soon your birds will be

hop, hop, hopping round your garden green

and

splash splash splashing in your birdbaths clean.

Happy watching

Bridie

mutleymacclad said:
Hi ruth

It's a very elusive bird not often spotted in Hemel!

I'm going to leave you to do some research though. It is a bit tongue in cheek too. ;)
No you've got me stumped????
I'll have to give in???
Put me out of my misery Andy,please!!!! :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back