• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hants, Berks and Surrey Borders (2 Viewers)

As mentioned on another thread, and also as I'm apparently not the only Farlington regular, I think I'll just mention todays trip to the reserve.

3:30 isn't the best time of day to do any kind of birding really, but I headed down anyway, with the long shot hope of maybe seeing a short eared or barn owl. Dont get me wrong, neither have been reported in a while but you never know unless you have a look.

On route around the reserve, with the tide out, I saw 4 Goldeneyes, Red breasted Mergansers and a few Great Crested Grebes in the channels of seawater between the mudflats. 30 or so Curlew (minus the Wimbrel that has recently been reported), Dunlin, Turnstones and most of the other typical winter mudflat waders, and a few gulls. A decent sized group of Lapwings and thousands of Brent Geese graced the fields, along with the usual Wigeon, Meadow Pipits and Stonechats. I didn't count them, but there has definitely been an increase in the number of Gadwall present on the lakes and river. I also saw 3 Bearded Tits, heard a Cettis Warbler and also heard 2 Water Rails in the reed beds.

Not amazing by any stretch of the imagination, but not bad either, and theres definitely more on offer, especially if I were to visit at a decent time! Keeps me amused anyway!

Jason

EDIT - oh yeah, no owls. Oh well.

Woo hoo! Finally got some goldcrest shots
http://www.tonykeenebirds.co.uk/bbirds/goldcrest.html
Ok, they're a bit ropey, but they were into the sun and it was moving a lot...
No sign of either the yellow-browed warbler or the chiffchaffs on the Blackwater at Hawley Meadows today, but there were a lot of people fishing next to the clumps they usually hang out in, plus some noisy work happeneing over the river as they were putting in a new fence.

Good morning's birding, the Yellow Browed Warbler showing superbly at Hawley followed by the Firecrest at Finchamstead. It doesn't get much better than that & both less than 10 Miles from home!

John.

First Brambling of the winter briefly in a flock of half dozen or so at Crooksbury Common this morning, also a Buzzard at Seale on the way back. Just goes to show how Buzzards have spread geographically, would never have seen any in this neck of the woods 10 years ago!

John.

You're right - buzzards do seem more common than a few years ago.

Might go out goldcrest hunting this afternoon on Yateley Common. Might be lucky and see a firecrest...

Good luck, the Firecrest at Finchampstead could still be about & I see the Yellow Brow is still showing well at Hawley this morning.

Cheers,

John.

Yateley Common North (for a change) came up withvery little. Apart from woodpigeon, the only birds I saw were mallard and Dartford warbler. Heard a few goldcrests, but that was it. A few birds calling, but not showing (blue, long-tailed and great tits, robins, blackbirds). As ever, the paths are either submerged or ruined by the horses, that one they've buggered the bridleways, then go on the footpaths so they don't have to wash their horses off. Thanks.
There's quite a bit of grass coming up on the burnt patches, which I think I read is a sign of over burning of heathland and the silver birch are moving in on a lot of the heath as well.
It surprises me - go over the A30 and you've Dartfords and stonechats everywhere as well as mipits and the odd woodlark, but the North side seems to have a lot less of everything, despite lacking the disturbance from the Army.

Yellow Browed Warbler still showing well at Hawley today & 20 Siskin in the Alders by the car park. At Moor Green 13 Goosander on Colebrook Lake.

John.

Pretty quiet at Thursley common this morning, 1 Dartford Warbler seen near the boardwalk, Curlew heard in the bog area, a few Reed Buntings, & a male Sparrowhawk sat in a tree.

John.

From Birdguides - 2 Lesser Spots at Puttenham Common & 2 Red kites NW over Ash Ranges. From a personal view not much along the Blackwater N of Aldershot this afternoon 1 Grey Wag & a Grey Heron at the SF. Still the Shots won 2 - 1 at Crawley & Chelsea beat Pompey so not a bad day really.

John.

Pied Wags still roosting in the usual place in Aldershot town centre. Yesterday morning spent at Moor Green Lakes, still good numbers of Goosander present, Black Headed Gulls back in force for the breeding season, 2 Egyptian Geese, & a singing Chiffchaff on the banks of the Blackwater.

John.

Dartford warblers and stonechats singing nicely over on Yateley Common South as well as meadow pipits in song flight. A skylark was hopping about the paths and a fair number of linnets were about. Also some siskins in the pines along the tarmac road.
Must be spring already.

Nice male kestrel at Shepheard's Meadows. Got very close to it and it was hovering right over Mrs Boris' head. Not many voles there, I'm afraid.
Also saw the kingfisher on the river after several months of it not being about. A few chiffchaffs singing along the river now, which is nice on a sunny day.

My 1st Wheatear of the year at the London Wetland Centre this morning, a stunning Male! Also 8 Snipe seen but no sign of the Garganey reported yesterday.

John.

Wheatear also seen at Dorney Wetlands today (not by me, though...).
In addition to the birds I saw on Yateley Common South the other day, I also got a really ropey shot of a wood lark, which is always nice to see. They must have come back after disappearing off to farmland for the winter.
The last shot's on there just becuase I'm chuffed with it... (but it was taken on the local patch, at Sandhurst Balancing Pond...)

Tony

Attachments

• lark1.jpg
    lark1.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 143
  • lark2.jpg
    lark2.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 122
  • image106.jpg
    image106.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 273
Walk round the local patch today produced Gadwall,Pochard,Green Woodpecker & 4 Chiffchaff at Tongham GP & 2 Little Ringed Plover, Green Sandpiper, Dunlin, Skylark, Common Gull, & Lesser Black backed Gull at Tices Meadow.

John.

Hi John,
Nice find at Tice's.
Saw your sighting posted on the Surrey Birders website. Went to Tice's after work (5pm) but was only able to find the Green Sandpiper not the Dunlin.
Tice's Meadow looks good at the moment especially with the workings being flooded and is attracting some migrants when other places are not seeing any. Hope a few more visit over the next few months.

Kevin

Alright Kev,

Cheers for the comments, just found the Surrey Birders website the other day, seems an excellent way of encouraging local birders to report their sightings. You're right Tices is looking good, hopeful of finding some more migrants over the Spring, might see you down there sometime.
In case other locals are reading this the url for Surrey Birders is http://www.birders-online.co.uk/ check it out & report those sightings!

Cheers,

John.

The three of us in the kitchen were thinking 'what's that call?' And then we saw it silouhetted and found we had a parakeet over the back garden. We're some miles from the neck of the woods they usually hang around in, but when it moved towards the front garden, we saw it was grey, slightly shorter, squarer tail and light head and white patches on the wings. A cockatiel, no less.
Can I tick it, pleeeeeeease? ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back