• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss: Victory 8x40 vs the 8x30B/GA T*P Classic (1 Viewer)

rfield54

I'm trying to decide whether the Zeiss Victory is worth maybe $200 more than the 8x30B/GA T*P Classic. They apparently share the same field of view, which surprised me. I assume the 8x40's will be a bit brighter, and a little better in low light, but a bit heavier and bulkier (710g vs 590g...minor). I'm not in a situation where I can try either of them, henceforth I'm asking for opinions. Anyone out there experienced with both of these fine instruments? Thanks in advance. - Roy

There are two situtations with these 30 and 40mm lesnes. Either the 30mm is a wider field of view, or they are the same. Both are equally difficult to judge without the binoculars in hand.

The classic is a little harder to come by, to compare. "Zeiss made only 1,000 units of this 150th anniversary 8x30 Classic binocular."

I kind of don't like the way the eye cups look, but I never did try the Victory eye cups either. I actually prefer the eye cups on many cheaper brands to most of Zeiss.

Good luck.

Roy,

They both have problems with flare,especially when pointed towards the sun. From recollection, I would write that the 8x30 suffers rather more from this problem, which makes the Victory I and II better. I used the Victory I for a long time before the flaring became evident to me.
However buying something without trying it is not a good idea, unless you patronise a shop with an excellent return policy.
If you have a specific question, I might be able to help. Incidentally, I wear specs and never extend eye cups.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies...

Pinewood said:
"However buying something without trying it is not a good idea, unless you patronise a shop with an excellent return policy"
Arthur :hi:

Unfortunately, these two models are no longer being produced and the chances of finding either one of these in a store close by are slim. I'm curious as to what the differences in the view might be through the optics of these two binoculars. Might the Victory's produce a noticeably wider stereo view? In general, is the size, weight and price increase a worthy tradeoff? - Roy

Roy,

The Victory, for its class, 8x40, gives a very bright view,a consequence of the Abbe Koenig prisms. A friend found it brighter than the Nikon 8x42 LX. I have relegated the Classic 8x30 to use in the theatre but find the Victory a good glass, especially on dull days when I want to carry only one binocular. In effect, I am writing that the Victory suits me better than the Classic for bird watching.
Yes there is a slight stereoscopic effect with the Victory, but its main impact may be reducing the sense of greater magnification in a roof over a Porro of the same stated magnification.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :brains:

Last edited:
Pinewood said:
. . . "but its main impact may be reducing the sense of greater magnification in a roof over a Porro of the same stated magnification.
Happy bird watching"
Arthur :brains:

Thanks for your reply Arthur. I'm not sure I follow you on this sentence, though (my own limitations). Are you saying that the view through the Victory 8x40 is more natural than that of a porro 8x40? Do you own the Victory 2's? - Roy

Roy,

I own the Victory I. Because of the use of Abbe Koenig prisms, the objectives are slightly more widely set than the eyepieces, but not nearly as much as in a Porro glass. Other roof binoculars generally have no such offset. The offset provided the stereo view of Porro binoculars. An optical illusion is that roof binoculars of the same power seem to have greater magnification. When I compared a seven power Porro and the Zeiss Dialyt, I could not see this effect. I do not have an eight power Porro to make a comparison with the Victory. The Classic 8x30 uses Schmidt Pechan prisms as do most roof binoculars.
I certainly do not find the Victory to have much of a stereo effect but I do not notice much of a stereo effect with any Porro.

Does that help?

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Yes, that helps. Maybe a good analogy might be to sit maybe 7 feet in front of good stereo speakers. Listen first with them 4 feet apart and then 6 or 7 feet apart. The narrower configuration seems louder (like the illusion of greater magnification in closer spaced roof prisms), while the wider spaced speakers offer noticeably improved realism (like, arguably, a more natural view with a good porro). If I end up with a Zeiss roof, it will likely be the Victory.

Robert / Seattle said:
Zeiss ClassiC 8x30.... .Built like nothing else made by Zeiss since. ... Recommended.

I have a pair also. There are comments on these in the review files at this site. Find them now to be my most used bin. My 7x42 classics are brighter, but the size of these is really nice in the hand. Essentially similar to the 7x42's in quality of view. Have not noticed the flare. But since i wear eyeglasses, i almost always get glare at some angles anyway, so i would not be a good judge of that.
I would assume the modern-materials of Victory and later series is very sturdy etc. But, the 8x30 classics are obviously (in the hand) very well built.

jaymoynihan said:
I have a pair also. There are comments on these in the review files at this site. Find them now to be my most used bin. My 7x42 classics are brighter, but the size of these is really nice in the hand. Essentially similar to the 7x42's in quality of view. Have not noticed the flare. But since i wear eyeglasses, i almost always get glare at some angles anyway, so i would not be a good judge of that.
I would assume the modern-materials of Victory and later series is very sturdy etc. But, the 8x30 classics are obviously (in the hand) very well built.

Hi Jay. Glad to find that you are enthusiastic about the 8x30 ClassiCs as well. Actually, I think the ClassiCs are better built and far sturdier than the Victories (which I also have and which seem to have a higher plastic or composite content). In addition to the websource I posted above, they also come up new and unused on EBay from time to time. Great value, regardless of source. And incredibly ergonomic, too; a real pleasure to hold.

Well friends, I just closed on a new (unopened)/pre-owned 150 anniversary 8x30B/GA. I'm looking forward to a comparison session with my late model Oberkochen 8x30B, and maybe someday a side by side with a Victory 8x40. Thanks for all your help. - Roy

PS: Robert, I just checked those sites and they're out of the 150th Anniversary model as well...which as a modest collector I'm more interested in.

Last edited:
rfield54 said:
Well friends, I just closed on a new (unopened)/pre-owned 150 anniversary 8x30B/GA. I'm looking forward to a comparison session with my late model Oberkochen 8x30B, and maybe someday a side by side with a Victory 8x40. Thanks for all your help. - Roy

PS: Robert, I just checked those sites and they're out of the 150th Anniversary model as well...which as a modest collector I'm more
interested in.

Good score, Roy. Enjoy.

Looks like I have arrived rather late to the party, but I'll add my sixpence worth anyway.

The Zeiss 8x30 Classic is not water proof, although it is rain proof, and it would probably survive all but prolonged immersion. The view is wide, clear, with good edge sharpness, and surprisingly free of CA, especially when compared to the competition. (This is probably because it focusses by moving the objectives, rather than using internal focussing lenses.) It is not as contrasty as more recent offerings such as the Nikon 8x32 HG, but that is minor IMO. IMO the view is comparable to anything out there, and better than many. The only real flaws are the limited eye relief (but no worse than the old Leica 8x32 Trinovid, and useable), rubber eye tubes rather than the modern extending ones (a pain for eyeglass wearers) and flare. In day to day use I never noticed flare, but at dawn and dusk it was obvious. For example, when I would look into a dark wood with a bright sky in the top of the field, I saw nothing in the wood due to light spill from the sky. Most of the time though the flare was not an issue.

Overall this is a little gem. it is a bit old fashioned looking, but then again, isn't "retro-chic" trendy?

I hope Roy enjoys his new binocular.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back