• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Exotics in Italy (1 Viewer)

MarkHows

Mostly Mammals
Does anyone have any information on the following species in Italy

Tree Sparrows - Corsica (I know its in France)
Erkells Francolin - Zannone Island, Italy
Red Avvadat - Mainland Italy somewhere
Village Weavers - Sienna, Italy

Or any others

Thanks

Mark

Though I would not exactly call a Tree sparrow exotic, I know they do occur in Corsica and are quite wide spread. Strangely they did not occur on Sardina just across the water until they were introduced.

On Erkells Francolin I can not find out much. In 97 it was suggested that a colony was on Ponziane, but nothing has been confirmed.

Red Avvadat's occur in a number of places, but the best one is on the River Sile in Veneto.

There is a small weaver colony around Montepulciano lake close to Sienna. There is also supposed to be one at Maccarese pools near Rome, but I either keep missing them or it has died out.

Italy seems to do quite well in breeding escaped exotics's:eek!: Parrots and Parakeets in Genoa, Sacred Ibis all over, Peking Robin in Tuscany and last year we saw video of a Black leopard living wild up by Venice.

Thanks, it is really hard to get info out of Italy particularly about exotics.
I have sites for Bobwhite, Ibis, parakeets.

Any ideas who to try for the Francolin?

Thanks

Mark

Tree Sparrows - Corsica (I know its in France)​
:eek!:

Erkells Francolin - Zannone Island, Italy​
introduced without success (I think)

Red Avvadat - Mainland Italy somewhere​
River Sile? no more (only in '80s)
BEST SITE is Padule di Fucecchio, or in Lake Massaciuccoli, in Tuscany
link

Village Weavers - Sienna, Italy​
I know about bishops (Tuscany, Latio, Apulia) but weavers...
This is the only weaver I have heard...
photo

cheers

I will be going to Italy in a couple of weeks so any further information appreciated particularly on Bishops

Mark

Close to Lucca you could see, also, the Red-billed Leiothrix...
In the last years it diffused in some valleys close to the town.
ciao

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back