• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

visit to Arizona next September - help please!! (1 Viewer)

annikins

Hi

I will be travelling from the UK to the Tucson area next year in mid September.

I would appreciate some advice from the local birders about the best places to visit in the Tucson area to get the best chance of seeing hummingbirds while I am there.

Is it getting too late in the year or should hummingbirds still be about?

There is a well known UK birder called Bill Oddie who came to Arizona to film hummingbirds, and I recall that he visited a town which was called "hummingbird city" ( or similar ) because everyone in the town had feeders out to attract hummingbirds - I can't remember the name of the town - does anyone know where he means?

I would appreciate any advice and apologise if I am repeating a question already asked elsewhere - pointers to good websites/forum threads would be great!!

Many thanks

Annikins

Welcome, Annikins. There are several hummingbird birders in the Tucson/Bisbee area and as soon as Sherrie and Liza reads your post I am sure you'll hear from them. If you do a Google search and type in such words (separate searches) as: Sierra Vista, Ramsey's Canyon, Patagonia Preserve you'll get a good headstart.

I once visited the area southeast of Tucson in April. Not sure if September is the best time for hummingbird viewing, but perhaps that is not the sole reason for your choosing that time of year. Good luck; you won't be disappointed visiting the area.

thanks for the info wings!

look forward to hearing from Sherrie and Liza so as to maximise the chances of seeing these little gems!!.

Annikins

We saw lots of hummers in Madera Canyon. Some other good birds there, too.

Don't miss the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum in Tucson. It's really a botanical garden and has lots of birds. Good displays of hunting by captive Roadrunners and Harris Hawks also.

For desert birds and really stunning landscape, go to the Saguaro National Park north of Tucson.

Jeff
www.jeffincypress.blogspot.com

Don't miss the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum in Tucson. It's really a botanical garden and has lots of birds. Good displays of hunting by captive Roadrunners and Harris Hawks also.

They have a dedicated hummingbird aviary. (The roadrunners on my property are always picking off the smaller birds: Sparrows, tits, and finches, along with the baby Gambel's Quail - a heartbreaking sight I'm afraid.)

For desert birds and really stunning landscape, go to the Saguaro National Park north of Tucson.

I second this. But not on the north side. You may be thinking of Sabino Canyon, another famous tourist site. There are two Saguaro National Parks, one on the west side of Tucson, and one on the east side. BTW, the Saguaro Cactus only grows naturally in the Sonoran Desert, of which Tucson and Phoenix are part.

Not exactly a birder trip, but Kitt Peak, about an hour's drive SW of Tucson is a world famous home for astronomical telescopes: http://www.noao.edu/kpno/

For tour information at Kitt Peak: http://www.noao.edu/outreach/kpoutreach.html

Here are live webcams atop Kitt Peak, looking south and north: http://www.noao.edu/kpno/kpcam/

Also, the drive up Mt. Lemmon, on the north side of Tucson, is another great trip. The paved road goes from the desert floor almost all the way to the peak, at approx 9000 ft. Beautiful views along the way. At the top are restaurants and other touristy places.

Last edited:
As stated earlier in this thread, Sheri and Lisa will be along to fill you in on the best hummingbird viewing sites.

Hi

I will be travelling from the UK to the Tucson area next year in mid September.

FYI, weather info: In mid-September the temps here in Tucson can still reach the low 100s but normally max out in the low to mid 90s. The summer rainy season (commonly called the monsoon) should be over by then. But don't confuse our summer rainy season with monsoons in other parts of the world - Tucson only gets on average 11 inches of rain each year. The last ten years we have been in a drought - a pretty bad drought. The summer rainy season in Tucson is famous for its lightning displays. I read somewhere that Tucson is third on the list of "Number of Lightning Strikes per Year", behind some place in Florida and and Australia.

I hope you don't mind these posts of mine about Tucson that are not related to birding . . .

Within Tucson there is a square mile enclave town of South Tucson, with it's own mayor, police, fire dept, etc. It is predominantly Mexican/American and has some of the finest Mexican restaurants in the US. A large part of the South Tucson tax revenue comes from its restaurants (and, some say, its radar speed traps).

http://www.urbanspoon.com/nf/59/5920/5836/Tucson/South-Tucson/Mexican-Restaurants

(President Clinton ate at Mi Nidito during a visit.)

Last edited:
thanks for replies so far!

please keep the local info coming - hummers are the priority but good birding hotspots would be welcome!

thanks from
Annikins

Hello,
Hope this will help some. Hummingbirds will still be traveling through Southeast Arizona in mid-September, but the numbers would have dropped off some from the mid to late August influx. Some great places to see hummingbirds are about 1 1/2 to 2 hours southeast of Tucson in the Huachuca Mountains around Sierra Vista.
Three areas of note are Ash Canyon B&B my preferred sit and watch the hummingbird place. You don't have to stay there to go in and visit. Mary Jo Ballator, the proprietor, does ask for a donation at the gate. (as do most places that are open to birders) She is extremely friendly and knowledge about the hummingbirds, and she normally has some male and female Lucifer's Hummingbirds still hanging around in mid-September. (see my avator). Mary Jo also gets a lot of other Arizona bird specialties and migrants through. I've seen 5 different types of Woodpeckers in her yard within 30 minutes. A great place.
And Beatty's Orchard which probably has more variety, but by mid-September his numbers are down as he is high in the mountains.
Ramsey Canyon Preserve is also very nice for hummingbirds and other Arizona specialties. It used to be the place for hummers, but I've heard the numbers have fallen off in recent years. I still really enjoy going there and seeing the other birds and wildlife.
I would normally recommend the Paton's in Patagonia, but sadly Mrs. Paton died this fall and I am not sure if it will be open next year. If it is you would get a nice variety in her yard, to include the Violet-crowned. Patagonia is closer to Tucson than Sierra Vista.
I've only been to Madera Canyon in the spring for the Flame-colored Tanager. But it is also supposed to have some good hummingbirds at both Kubo Lodge and up at the gift shop feeders.
If I can be of any other help, don't hesitate to ask.
Lisa (Liza - misspelled in other posts)

Last edited:
Lisa (Liza - misspelled in other posts)[/QUOTE]
____--

Oops, sorry Lisa. On the other hand the places you mentioned are spot on.

Hello everyone

thanks for all the further information - I do appreciate the advice which should help us when we get to Tucson.

I will keep coming back to check for further updates and may ask other questions shortly

thanks again

Annikins

Sorry. I meant the Saguaro Park section east of Tucson.

Jeff

We live a few miles from the East side park and on my hikes in there, I've seen groups of birders, led by a guide. I don't know how one would get hooked up with these groups. I will try to find out.

I hope you enjoy our Sate. I think everyone has covered everything you need to know. I have Hummingbirds year round and I'm in the Phoenix area. So I think you will see and enjoy. Miller canyon and Ash canyon are two good spots. I have never heard about a town called Hummingbird. The person may be talking about the projects around the Tucson area.
http://hummingbirds.arizona.edu/Index.htm
I hope you enjoy our pretty state lot to see here.

Hi All

Great tips from everyone -thanks!!

I should explain both me and my husband will be visiting Arizona for the second time.
In 2006 we celebrated our 25th anniv with our first trip to the USA.
After NYC we flew to Phoenix and stayed in Flagstaff to visit Grand Canyon,Meteor Crater , Lowell Observatory etc then to Utah for Bryce Canyon and finally Las Vegas - a fantastic trip.
We had a great time although we had a shock when going from cloudy Scotland at 10 degrees to walking out of Phoenix airport at 103degrees!!
It felt like walking into an oven to us as you can imagine!!
We enjoyed going to places that we knew would have birds that would ALL be life ticks!!

For PumaMan - yes Kitt Peak is on the list as I am a keen armchair astronomer as well as enjoying birds!!

At the moment I sit here with the UK at or below freezing point with frost and snow ( South Arizona residents will probably have to look up the meaning of those two words!!)
We dont have hummingbirds but our nations favourite at this time of the year is the Robin , and our garden resident comes to the back door for food every day to keep him going in this cold weather
I include an attachment pic of a local Robin taken by me for your enjoyment -he is much smaller than your US version!!

Best Wishes

Annikins

Attachments

• a local robin.jpg
    a local robin.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 115
Since you'll probably be headed south and east of Tucson to the hummingbird havens, another hour's drive will get you to the Chiricahua National Monument, a beautiful place in the SE corner of the state.

http://www.nps.gov/CHIR/index.htm
http://chiricahua.areaparks.com/
http://www.go-arizona.com/Chiricahua-National-Monument

Twenty seven million years ago a volcanic eruption of immense proportions shook the land around Chiricahua National Monument. One thousand times greater than the 1980 eruption of Mount St. Helens, the Turkey Creek Caldera eruption eventually laid down two thousand feet of highly silicious ash and pumice. This mixture fused into a rock called rhyolitic tuff and eventually eroded into the spires and unusual rock formations of today.

Last edited:
We had a great time although we had a shock when going from cloudy Scotland at 10 degrees to walking out of Phoenix airport at 103 degrees!!
It felt like walking into an oven to us as you can imagine!!

That was a mild Phoenix day. Even here in Tucson we get temps as high as 109. Phoenix routinely sees 115 in the summer with peaks higher than that. And you don't EVEN want to know about the temps in Yuma. :eek!:

@Jeff:
Lisa (Liza - misspelled in other posts)
____--

Oops, sorry Lisa. On the other hand the places you mentioned are spot on.[/QUOTE]

Jeff, no worries. Just wanted to let her know that I was the one you mentioned earlier.
o:D

A couple of non-birder attractions in and around Tucson:

- University of Arizona's Flandrau Science Center (In Tucson) is a great place to roam (http://www.flandrau.org/). Great mineral display.

- Tombstone (about an hour SE of Tucson) is a big tourist place, although I'm not too keen on it.

- The town of Bisbee (2 hrs SE of Tucson) is a great little town. My wife loves going there. Maybe Lisa can expand on this. http://bisbeearizona.com/content/

- In years past I would have recommended a short afternoon visit to Nogales, Mexico, a border town about 2 hrs south of Tucson, but with all the drug cartel-related homicides in Sonora, I can't recommend the trip anymore.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back