• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

‘Hensoldt’ your classic Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 (or 8x56) (1 Viewer)

John A Roberts

Australia
Yesterday I posted about a 2007 article by the late professional ornithologist Francois Vuilleumier ‘Are Zeiss binoculars the preferred instruments for birdwatching?’
- see the original article, from page 13 on at https://issuu.com/zeisshistoricasociety/docs/pdf_zhs_journal_spring_2007
- and my post at https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3784288&postcount=40

Part of the article includes Francois explaining his preference for the Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 B GA T* P, based upon his extensive field experience (see the excerpt). Of particular note is it’s performance as a non-airtight external/pump focus design, under arctic and tropical conditions.

He also shows his own customised unit, which has the rubber armour replaced with leatherette, for a great retro appearance - even more so than the current Leica Ultravid Blackline option (I've attached a closeup of Francois’ bino).

Perhaps a DIY project for some Zeiss aficionado's?

Attachments

• 7x42 Dialyt review.pdf
    272 KB · Views: 223
  • 'Hensoldt' a Zeiss.pdf
    270.8 KB · Views: 230
Last edited:
I bought one of these (7x42 BGAT*P) about a month ago. It is a fantastic view and I really enjoyed using it. The focuser and hinge were both a little stiff from debris (I think previous owner got sand in it), so I sent it in to Zeiss USA for a cleaning. They just sent it back and I should get it on Monday -- it looks like they did it for free even, as there was no bill.

Yesterday I posted about a 2007 article by the late professional ornithologist Francois Vuilleumier ( at https://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=3784288&postcount=40 ).

In the article Francois explains his preference for the Zeiss Dialyt 7x42 B GA T* P, based upon his extensive field experience (see the excerpt). Of particular note is it’s performance as a non-airtight external/pump focus design, under arctic and tropical conditions.

He also shows his own customised unit, which has the rubber armour replaced with leatherette, for a great retro appearance - even more so than the current Leica Ultravid Blackline option (see the closeup of Francois’ bino).

Perhaps a DIY project for some Zeiss aficionado's?

Taste varies. but for me, the standard rubber armor is comfortable and functional ... that is, unless it's allowed to overheat, crack, and outgas like a burnt rubber tire. Then, Zeiss will replace it as they did with my 7x42 BGAT*P.

Ed

Fine looking job and indeed recalls the looks of the old Hensoldt roof glasses but... at a weight penalty of only 80 grams I'd personally rather have the rubber armouring. That said, I know the combined number of hours I put on all my binoculars will never approach that of professionals like Francois Vuilleumier.

Just bought a pair of (7x42 BGAT*P) and although they are old, 1988, they are a match for my Leitz 8 x 60 porros in terms of brightness and clarity of image whether distant or not a department I always thought the Leitz unbeatable. I now wonder if the 8 x 56 with phase coatings will exceed my Hensoldt of that configuration. The rubber feels comfortable to me.

I need some help to find where I can date a Dialyt glass by serial no., any help would be appreciated.

Andy W.

I need some help to find where I can date a Dialyt glass by serial no., any help would be appreciated.

Andy W.

It is almost impossible to get a reliable source for this job. Unfortunately it's not like taking the CZJ-SN-Chart and push your index finger up and down to to get to the dob (date of birth) of your particular Zeiss-West-binos. There is no other way to contact Zeiss Sport Optics. But they will answer immediately.

John, thank you for these interesting informations about the 7x42 Dialyt. The more I read it the more I regret that I have sold my pair of binos from 1997. I sold it for almost the same in 2017 price for which I had bought it in 1997. But I wasn't sure if it would make it another 20 years because of lack of water proofness.

Andy W.
Hey Andy, What model and power is it? Might be able to help get an approximation if you don't already have it.
Jack

The best way to find date of mfr. is to call Zeiss customer service, they have the info. just make
sure you get somebody to look it up. I recently talked to Joe, he was good to deal with.
USA. Zeiss, 1-800-441-3005.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back