• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seabird seen in flight - South West Victoria - Australia (1 Viewer)

kerrybv

Solitary bird seen flying low over the ocean off the coast at Nullawarre (between Peterborough and Warrnambool) this morning. Size and shape, bill and feather colour made me think Southern Fulmar, but am far from confident so would appreciate ID assistance

Very distant so photo quality poor I'm afraid

Attachments

• Seabird25Feb2019_SWVictoria_1.jpg
    Seabird25Feb2019_SWVictoria_1.jpg
    949.8 KB · Views: 78
  • Seabird25Feb2019_SWVictoria_2.jpg
    Seabird25Feb2019_SWVictoria_2.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 47
  • Seabird25Feb2019_SWVictoria_3.jpg
    Seabird25Feb2019_SWVictoria_3.jpg
    959.9 KB · Views: 54
  • Seabird25Feb2019_SWVictoria_4.jpg
    Seabird25Feb2019_SWVictoria_4.jpg
    717.5 KB · Views: 59
It's an albatross, mostly likely a Thalassarche sp. based on the dark leading edge to the wing, the overall jizz and what looks like a grey back. It doesn't appear to have the dark 'thumbprints' in its armpits that you would expect of a Shy/Salvin's/Chatham Albatross. But the underwings are too extensively white for most of the other species. It may actually be a Diomedia of some description as the trailing edge fits better for this genus, but someone who is better on the albatrosses than me would need to make the call, as I can't work out anything more from that picture

It's an albatross, mostly likely a Thalassarche sp. based on the dark leading edge to the wing, the overall jizz and what looks like a grey back. It doesn't appear to have the dark 'thumbprints' in its armpits that you would expect of a Shy/Salvin's/Chatham Albatross. But the underwings are too extensively white for most of the other species. It may actually be a Diomedia of some description as the trailing edge fits better for this genus, but someone who is better on the albatrosses than me would need to make the call, as I can't work out anything more from that picture
Thanks Mike, that's a great help, I was miles off! Hopefully someone might be able to pin it down

Shy Albatross for mine (White-capped impossible to exclude if you consider them separate species).

Pale bill, proportionally long wings, and very narrow dark border to the underwing rule out other contenders. Underwing and upperwing/upperbody pattern rule out any of the larger Diomedea albatrosses

Shy Albatross for mine (White-capped impossible to exclude if you consider them separate species).

Pale bill, proportionally long wings, and very narrow dark border to the underwing rule out other contenders. Underwing and upperwing/upperbody pattern rule out any of the larger Diomedea albatrosses
Thanks John, much appreciated

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back