• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fledgling at Herdsman Lake, Perth, WA (1 Viewer)

delia todd

If I said the wrong thing it was a Senior Moment
Staff member
Opus Editor
Supporter
Scotland
Really struggling to put a name to this wee guy.

I do have some other poses if they help, but thought this showed enough ID features for you.

Attachments

• BF for ID DSCN4357.jpg
    BF for ID DSCN4357.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 67
Aaaah!! Thank you Alan.... that does look a pretty good match.

Thanks so much for the confirmation Sicklebill. It's much appreciated.

I'd thought of a honeyeater but didn't know where to start looking!

Could i suggest its Brown Honeyeater, rather than Singing.
In my experience, juvenile Singing appear quite similar to adults whilst this photo shows a bird much more closely resembling juvenile Brown.

Thanks Bruce. I've been trying to find some pictures of one of a similar age to compare, but have failed to find any fledgling images so far.

Looking at images on the net just now I saw an adult Singing feeding a juv, and the juv had the black mask like an adult. I'm even more convinced that this must be a Brown.

Apart from Brown Honeyeater, there's not too many other possibilities in Perth for a bird that looks like that pictured. And because of several features, including the lack of an obvious white/yellow spot behind the eye, its pretty certainly a juvenile and not a female or non-breeding adult male.

Its definitely not a Singing Honeyeater, of any age. I'm reasonably familiar with the juveniles of that species, as they breed in my back garden area here in Perth and as Larry has pointed out, even just fledged, they have the black mark on the face and also, as i noted in my earlier post, they also look quite similar in other aspects to an adult.

Hope this is some help. I'm sorry I don't have any pictures of the young birds in my garden to share. The species is so common here that I seldom take photos of it any more and I've never actually had my camera ready when a juvenile has been around.

Good luck in your search to put a definitive name to the bird in the photograph. To my mind, its 100% certain to be a Brown Honeyeater as it conforms virtually identically to all the examples of that species which I have seen or photographed either here in Perth or in some other parts of Australia where the Brown Honeyeater ranges, but perhaps others may have greater insights to its conclusive identification.

Hi Bruce

Indeed... thanks very much for that response. I'm quite content to go with your expertise.

A Brown Honeyeater it is then.

Thanks very much John. Much appreciated.

Fledglings can be a bit of a nightmare sometimes, can't they.

Yep, fair enough, Agree with Brown Honeyeater, a good learning exercise and as you say juvs. can be problematic, I got misled by the blackish around the eye and was too hasty.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back