• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (2 Viewers)

Hi Ian,

Glad you enjoyed your visit. Siskins have been very scarce this year so that is a good sighting. I've only seen one so far this year.

Your Pipit is much more likely to have been a Meadow Pipit at this time of year. As far as I'm aware no Tree Pipits have been recorded in the UK so far this year - they usually arrive from Africa in April. Of course there is always an outside chance of a very early one turning up somewhere. Did you hear it call?

Look forward to seeing you down there sometime. Cheers :t:

Hi.... There was one Siskin and yes could have been a Meadow Pipit....it was a way off in the top of a tree over the other side of the canal and my view wasn't brill....and no I didn't hear it call but have seen an early Tree Pipit in Chaddesley Woods. The Redwings were in the coppice behind the Church at Salwarp and there were 2 Goldcrests in the same place.
Have you been to Upton and seen he Glaucous Gull? I saw it a few days ago. I think I also got a view of a Godwit there a few days ago...
Regards Ian

Hi.... There was one Siskin and yes could have been a Meadow Pipit....it was a way off in the top of a tree over the other side of the canal and my view wasn't brill....and no I didn't hear it call but have seen an early Tree Pipit in Chaddesley Woods. The Redwings were in the coppice behind the Church at Salwarp and there were 2 Goldcrests in the same place.
Have you been to Upton and seen he Glaucous Gull? I saw it a few days ago. I think I also got a view of a Godwit there a few days ago...
Regards Ian

Yes I saw the Glaucous Gull last week - really chuffed to add it to my Upton list.

Siskins are present in small flocks most years and flyovers are usually frequent - they have been very scarce this winter however and I haven't recorded a single Redpoll so far this year either.

Meadow Pipits quite often perch in trees and there have been small numbers in the adjacent fields - I saw about 9 just west of Coney a few days ago.

Good birding :t:

A pair of shelducks in the flooded field just past Egg Lane on Wednesday afternoon, the river level is unbelievable. 5 or 6 lapwing displays and calling. Herring, LBB & black headed gulls also present with up to 30 of the latter. A muscovy duck swam with a pair of mute swans further down. Half a dozen pied wags around the edge of the flood and a pair of grey wags on the canal lock by the car park. 200 yards back up the towpath a water rail was calling constantly, drowning out a distant skylark as a cetti blasted out its call from the reeds. Redwing, mistle thrush, bullfinch & jay all seen on the walk back to Porters Mill with green woodpecker & nuthatch heard.

Last edited:
A lovely sunny morning for a long walk:

2 Greylags near the confluence
1 Lapwing displaying near Chatley
Cettis Warbler singing near Linacre Bridge and another calling nearer Mildenham
A couple of Blackcaps singing between Salwarpe and Ladywood

Other species noted over the weekend:

Little Owl calling from near Chatley on Saturday, Tawny Owl calling from Droitwich Woods yesterday evening, Yellowhammer Sinton Lane, Snipe flew from Coney Meadow yesterday morning, several singing Blackcaps in various places along the canal, Ravens, Linnets, Meadow Pipits, Skylarks, Buzzards, Kestrel, Sparrowhawk, winter thrushes, Mistle Thrushes, Treecreeper, Coal Tits, Goldcrests, Green and Great spotted Woodpeckers, Water Rails heard from Coney reedbed, Reed Buntings, Greenfinches, Goldfinches, etc.

Several Bumblebees freshly emerged.

Seen and heard my first Chiffchaff halfway between Porters Mill and Mildenham Mill. Also M & F sparrowhawks displaying over Porters mill

6 Chiffchaffs between Salwarpe and Tapenhall this morning
2 Gadwall on Tapenhall pool and 6 more by the confluence.
Pair of Teal by the confluence
1 Redpoll over Linacre Bridge
3 Greylag Geese over Horford fishing pools
Cetti's Warblers at Tapenhall, Mildenham (showed well) and Linacre Bridge.
Snipe at Mildenham
Kingfisher, singing Blackcap, Water Rail, Grey Wagtail, Grey Herons, Coot, Kestrel, Buzzard, Sparrowhawk, Linnets, Meadow Pipits, etc

A few more Chiffchaffs seen and heard in various places over the weekend. Singing Blackcap near Salwarpe.
A Peregrine over Copcut area
Raven over Coney Meadow
20+ Chaffinches in one bush next to the canal near Coney Meadow yesterday

A Cetti's Warbler with a BTO ring on along the canal adjacent to Coney Meadow this afternoon showing well.
3 Snipe flew from Coney Meadow and did several laps before dropping back in.
Water Rail calling.
Several singing Blackcaps in various places.
Good numbers of Chiffchaffs (c 10) around Salwarpe Coney and Droitwich Woods.
Raven, Skylarks, Meadow Pipits, Grey Wagtails, Pied Wagtails, Goldcrests, Nuthatch, Coal Tits, Treecreepers, Grey Heron, Cormorant, 20+ Linnets, Reed Buntings, Sparrowhawk and Buzzards.

10 Snipe flew from Coney reedbed at dusk
40+ Pied Wagtails roosted
Water Rails calling
2 Greylags near the confluence this morning
Coot on Tapenhall pool
Good numbers of Chiffchaffs all over the patch (20+)
Singing Blackcaps in various places
Singing Cetti's Warbler near Linacre bridge showed well plus another near Coney Meadow
Mistle Thrushes, Fieldfare, Skylarks, Meadow Pipits, Goldcrests, Treecreeper, Bullfinches, Linnets, Herons, Grey Wagtails, Buzzards, Cormorant, Kestrel, Green Woodpeckers, etc.
Several Brimstone butterflies, Small Tortoiseshell, Comma and Peacock.
Noctule bat yesterday evening.

I'm very fortunate in these current times that my birding patch is easily accessible by foot and is in the immediate vicinity of my house. I can take my binoculars on my daily exercise and cover a reasonable number of my regular spots without encountering many people. Over the past few days I have recorded the following species:

Red Kite today near Porter's Mill
12 Lapwings near Chatley yesterday
A pair of Gadwall
2 Coots
2 Greylags
2 singing Cetti's Warblers
Little Owl and Barn Owl 2 days ago
Several Snipe
Yellowhammer, Meadow Pipits, Skylarks, Kestrels, Linnets, Water Rails, Sparrowhawks, many Blackcaps and Chiffchaffs, Redwings, Fieldfares, Goldcrests, Mistle Thrushes, Grey Wagtails, Grey Herons, Green and Great Spotted Woodpeckers, Nuthatches, Coal Tits, Treecreeper, etc

A few Butterflies including Peacocks, Small tortoiseshell, Brimstone and Large White.

Bats including Pipistrelles and Noctule.

Wheatear on ploughed field between Station Rd and Martin Hussingtree from footpath alongside Acorn Farm.
Not really on the patch but worth a mention.

A few Common Snipe and one Jack Snipe flew from Coney Meadow reedbed this evening.

The Cetti's Warbler with the BTO ring showed well along the nearby canal earlier.

Today's Osprey was only the second I've ever seen on the patch. Other species recorded today included:

4 Cetti's Warblers
Still good numbers of Redwings
2 Greylags
Snipes
Water Rail
2 Coots
Meadow Pipits
Sparrowhawk
Cormorants
Grey Herons
Blackcaps
Chiffchaffs
Buzzards

Red Fox

Took my exercise this evening and walked from Copcut to Salwarpe. Crow, Canada Goose, Tawny Owl. But also had my bat detector. Soprano Pipistrelle, Pippistrelle and one other that I need to identify.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back