• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two Months of Lifers Down Under (1 Viewer)

27 October 2019

The next morning we spent an hour or so in the garden before setting off back to the folk festival.

A Red Wattlebird joined us for breakfast, then a couple of New Holland Honeyeaters (those white eyes make them look terrified LOL). These pictures were taken through the window.

Then a sweet wee Brown Thornbill came down for a drink and a wash.

Wandering the grounds we next came across a juvenile Crimson Rosella (Adelaide) who wouldn't give me anything but a back view and a Horsfield's Bronze Cuckoo; this guy was quite distant and so high, I had to find a wall to lean against for a bit of stability!!

What a garden!!!

Attachments

• BF Red Wattlebird thread.jpg
    BF Red Wattlebird thread.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 22
  • BF New Holland Honeyeater thread.jpg
    BF New Holland Honeyeater thread.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 20
  • BF Brown Thornbill thread.jpg
    BF Brown Thornbill thread.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 25
  • BF Crimson Rosella, Adelaide juvenile thread.jpg
    BF Crimson Rosella, Adelaide juvenile thread.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 23
  • BF Horsfield's Bronze Cuckoo thread.jpg
    BF Horsfield's Bronze Cuckoo thread.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 26
The last picture is taken at one of the few places you're able to stop on the very scenic steep hill road back down into town. I think Peter said he does (did?) surveys there.

OMG this almost brought tears to my eyes! I was at Cleland in January 1989 - 31 years ago! :eek!:
:-C

I wasn't a birdwatcher then but a very amateurish wildlife enthusiast, but I did take the pic below! Thanks for the memories!

Attachments

• kooka.jpg
    kooka.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 18
Oh dear Cristiana, I'm so sorry - I really didn't mean for my reports to make anyone cry!!!

That was a wonderful picture you took of a bird in pre-digital days lass.

The Adelaide Hills are lovely aren't they.

They were tears of the good kind Delia, don't worry! I loved my time down under and I remember being particularly struck by SA and the city of Adelaide. Keep it up! I am already dreading the end of your report and no new instalments to look forward to!

I grabbed a picture of a juvenile Red Wattlebird through the window as we were having breakfast! (sorry... I missed that picture in the previous post.)

Thank goodness I managed to get a better picture of the Mistletoebird that morning - they're stunning aren't they. The Red-browed Finch picture wasn't so good though, sorry.

But following that disappointment, I was then rewarded with sightings of two new birds... a Purple-crowned Lorikeet and a Crescent Honeyeater

Attachments

• BF Red Wattlebird juvenile thread.jpg
    BF Red Wattlebird juvenile thread.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 21
  • BF Mistletoebird thread.jpg
    BF Mistletoebird thread.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 19
  • BF Red-browed Finch thread.jpg
    BF Red-browed Finch thread.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 21
  • BF Purple-crowned Lorikeet thread.jpg
    BF Purple-crowned Lorikeet thread.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 26
  • BF Crescent Honeyeater thread.jpg
    BF Crescent Honeyeater thread.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 24
I'm getting greener by the day Delia.....Mistletoe Bird absolutely gorgeous....Purple Crown Lorikeet the same....your photos are wonderful, keep them coming and then I can go back to the beginning and start all over again...........thanks for sharing!

Aaaw Nora, thank you. Change of avatar today in your honour;)

We then set off back to Willunga for the folk festival. No sooner had we got out of the car than Peter spotted two Straw-necked Ibis flying over... so that was just a quick grab before they went out of sight.

In one of the trees lining the festival grounds was a Noisy Miner (I'm sure they're following me around LOL)

In a dark corner I spotted this moth, but forgot to try and get it identified and a quick look on line hasn't helped at all. NB: now identified by Nora as a Southern Old Lady, Dasypodia selenophora, many thanks.

Back at John and Dora's after a very enjoyable time taking in most of the acts, a White-browed Scrubwren welcomed us home. This is the nominate subspecies, so a sort of new one for me.

A Yellow-footed Antechinus had made a nest behind the glass of my bedroom window. John had placed some cardboard on the outside to protect it. I was never lucky enough to see her in there, but we spotted her moving around outside... but I wasn't quick enough to get a picture!

The final picture shows the view from the veranda (the mist had lifted). This looks over St Vincent's Gulf. Wouldn't mind seeing that every morning eh?

Attachments

• BF Straw-necked Ibis thread.jpg
    BF Straw-necked Ibis thread.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 12
  • BF Noisy Miner thread.jpg
    BF Noisy Miner thread.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 14
  • BF Moth Willunga thread.jpg
    BF Moth Willunga thread.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 13
  • BF White-browed Scrubwren nominate thread.jpg
    BF White-browed Scrubwren nominate thread.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 20
  • BF St Vincent's Gulf, Fleurieu thread.jpg
    BF St Vincent's Gulf, Fleurieu thread.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 25
And they keep on coming! I am now very definitely Shrek coloured. Another brilliant batch of photos and prose. Your final photo of the view is to die for, to wake to that everyday would be heaven.

28 October 2019

We did a bit more garden watching before setting off towards home.

Another bird I had to find some support for was this high Laughing Kookaburra. Plenty of walls and trees around, so no problem LOL

I'm not too sure what the Rainbow Lorikeet was up to, but I just managed to catch him at the end of that snag. Not the best of pictures that, sorry. But I was better pleased with the wee Dusky Woodswallow, thought that one turned out quite well.

What looks to be an adult Crimson Rosella this time, so maybe a parent of the one I showed you yesterday. Lastly for this set, is a New Holland Honeyeater. They really have a remarkable eye, don't they.

Just one more picture from John and Dora's garden, which I'll post shortly, along with the list of species I didn't manage to photograph.

Attachments

• BF Laughing Kookaburra thread.jpg
    BF Laughing Kookaburra thread.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 20
  • BF Rainbow Lorikeet thread.jpg
    BF Rainbow Lorikeet thread.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 13
  • BF Dusky Woodswallow thread.jpg
    BF Dusky Woodswallow thread.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 18
  • BF Crimson Rosella, Adelaide thread.jpg
    BF Crimson Rosella, Adelaide thread.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 15
  • BF New Holland Honeyeater thread.jpg
    BF New Holland Honeyeater thread.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 17
Just as we were getting into the car, a Horsfield's Bronze Cuckoo called from above our heads just about

So other species seen/heard in the garden at Normanville were: Tree Martin, Brown-headed Honeyeater, Grey Fantail, Brush Bronzewing (heard), Golden Whistler, (heard), Superb Fairywren, Striated Pardalote, Grey Shrike-thrush, Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo, Sulphur-crested Cockatoo, Grey Currawong, Eurasian Blackbird, Galah, Australian Magpie, Feral Pigeon.

Attachments

• BF Horsfield's Bronze Cuckoo thread.jpg
    BF Horsfield's Bronze Cuckoo thread.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 28
Thanks Delia, the Avatar looks wonderful!
Great list so far with Peter and Adrienne (& John/Dora's) the view, I agree with Keith!
Your adventure keeps on coming LOL..........thanks for sharing!

Thanks again Nora.... I've added your ID info to the post about the moth.

I used to think the fairy wrens were my favorite Australian bird, but man those Laughing Kookaburras are winning my heart.

Heading home to Adelaide, we detoured to Mount Compass. There's a school there that owns a swamp (not sure how that came about). It is full of various types of wildlife with a board walk through.

So first up was a European Goldfinch, followed almost immediately by a New Holland Honeyeater.

Getting deeper into the swamp we found a female Superb Fairywren. Then started hearing a Shining Bronze Cuckoo, seeing him in flight a few times. Chased him here there and everywhere then .... gotcha!!! Gosh... my second cuckoo of the day and I'm lucky to see any in the Scotland these days.

Needed eyes everywhere, for then a couple of Australian Pelicans flew over.

Attachments

• BF European Goldfinch thread.jpg
    BF European Goldfinch thread.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 19
  • BF New Holland Honeyeater1 thread.jpg
    BF New Holland Honeyeater1 thread.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 17
  • BF Superb Fairywren female thread.jpg
    BF Superb Fairywren female thread.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 18
  • BF Shining Bronze Cuckoo thread.jpg
    BF Shining Bronze Cuckoo thread.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 24
  • BF Australian White Pelican thread.jpg
    BF Australian White Pelican thread.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 22
Lovely photo of the Shining Bronze Cuckoo. I like the bit of shining green on the back.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back