• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2020 (6 Viewers)

This afternoon I ticked a major box in my lockdown list with a Nuthatch calling from the trees outside the back garden. I've heard them on and off all winter but as soon as lockdown began they shut up!

42. Nuthatch

And a few pictures from the back garden:

House Sparrow male
Red Kite X 2
Jay
Sparrowhawk male

Attachments

• 20200325 (8)_House_Sparrow.JPG
    20200325 (8)_House_Sparrow.JPG
    192.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 20200325 (10)_Red_Kite.JPG
    20200325 (10)_Red_Kite.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 20200325 (11)_Red_Kite.JPG
    20200325 (11)_Red_Kite.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 20200326 (5)_Jay.JPG
    20200326 (5)_Jay.JPG
    118.2 KB · Views: 50
  • 20200327 (8)_Sparrowhawk.JPG
    20200327 (8)_Sparrowhawk.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 44
What a start to the day!....Checking out a distant (perfectly lit) Corvid when it morphed into a Rook! think last one was about 5 years ago, however it didn't prepare me for the ''calling'' circling and interacting 3 Woodlark outback over the school playing field thirty minutes later. (my 3rd record of this species in 37 years) over the same field and all in March, nos. 64 and 65 respectively....still in meltdown! :eek!:

March 31st

Four hours and ten minutes of lockdown nothingness and then...

55. Red Kite - #42 on the lockdown list

Steve

Some cracking pictures you have taken! Especially I like Johns flying Jay. :t:

At Sunday morning I spend an hour on sauna's roof and manage to see 21 species + 6 Anser sp's

New garden ticks were:

#43. Jay - I wonder what the 'ell it was doing in a suburb at this time of year?
#44. White-fronted Goose - 4 Ansers flew so close that I had a chance to ID them. And I got a photo too... but one didn't fit the pic. 3:)

Attachments

• ddcaP1320586krop.jpg
    ddcaP1320586krop.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 48
31st March
45) Jay

Still a few Redwings about within half a mile of home today (closest around 800 feet away, as measured on Google Maps), and one Black-headed Gull, but none from the garden.

What a start to the day!....Checking out a distant (perfectly lit) Corvid when it morphed into a Rook! think last one was about 5 years ago, however it didn't prepare me for the ''calling'' circling and interacting 3 Woodlark outback over the school playing field thirty minutes later. (my 3rd record of this species in 37 years) over the same field and all in March, nos. 64 and 65 respectively....still in meltdown! :eek!:

Swap you my daily Rook flock for a single Wood Lark.
Never seen one from any garden. Nor likely to.
Er, well done, Ken.

Some cracking pictures you have taken! Especially I like Johns flying Jay. :t:

At Sunday morning I spend an hour on sauna's roof and manage to see 21 species + 6 Anser sp's

New garden ticks were:

#43. Jay - I wonder what the 'ell it was doing in a suburb at this time of year?
#44. White-fronted Goose - 4 Ansers flew so close that I had a chance to ID them. And I got a photo too... but one didn't fit the pic. 3:)

Envy your image of W.F.Geese Wari :t: I wasn't quick enough on the draw for mine.:-C

Swap you my daily Rook flock for a single Wood Lark.
Never seen one from any garden. Nor likely to.
Er, well done, Ken.

Cheers H....totally unexpected! The lighting and the liquid calls were pure magic, one of the most exciting and jaw-dropping moments from my abode, another bird was reported from West Putney (London) on the day at 10.15am. :t:

Out early checking the (empty) moth trap, so picked up a bird I thought I'd missed for this end of the year, in fact more than one individual:

43. Siskin (three singles East over about half an hour from 0730)

Cheers

John

Hello everyone.

Very late to the party I know...... but I have been enjoying reading this thread, this morning and marvelling about the birds that you all get to see or hear from your gardens, all over the world.

I have just read the January postings and found myself wondering how often Ken gets to see or hear Lesser Spotted Woodpecker from his and the sorts of habitats that are encompassed in dantheman's six acres ?

I have also very much enjoyed seeing the photographs that people have posted of what they see - fascinating....

Also what people's garden patches look like.

I am currently lodging in a very crowded housing estate, so have to be very careful where I point my bins !

Over breakfast this morning I have been watching:

1) House Sparrow, male
Z) Blackbird, male- fiesty
3) 3 amorous feral pigs -apologies Halftwo ;)
4) Male goldfinch
5) Starling

I am not expecting to get beyond 20 here where I am living, but will enjoy the looking and, much more reading about what everyone else is seeing.

Best regards, Carol

Welcome aboard Carol! Never underestimate your abode, as the sky is a great provider, I can attest to that. I’ve had a good number of jaw droppers over the years...keep at it. :t:

Welcome aboard Carol, I bet you can get at least 40 in a year there (after all you're not too far from the sea?)!
A very frosty morning up here so my winter guests are still around (see photo of one of the group of 80 from yesterday) Also yesterday afternoon a pair of Roe Deer visited, the male starting to shed his winter coat? Both pics from through the kitchen windows, east and north facing respectively.

Attachments

• P d n 31.3.20.jpg
    P d n 31.3.20.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2025.jpg
    IMG_2025.jpg
    424.3 KB · Views: 53
Spoke too soon re Gulls. A big flock heading north this morning gave up, under close scrutiny, a couple of Black-headed and at least one Common. Also a smart drake Goosander torpedoed upstream early doors.

1st April
46) Goosander
47) Black-headed Gull
48) Common Gull

Ken, bravo on the Woodlarks. Really hoping extra time at home will, at some point, net me something equally exciting!

Carol, welcome to the thread. Avoiding gaining a reputation as a peeping Tom is indeed one of the challenges of garden birding. I once excitedly photographed a young Peregrine on a neighbour's roof, only to realise afterwards it had been perched just above her bathroom...! If you have a garden- or deck-chair that reclines, spend some time leaning back and scrutinising the sky - it can pay real dividends.

Good luck everyone.

Welcome aboard Carol! Never underestimate your abode, as the sky is a great provider, I can attest to that. I’ve had a good number of jaw droppers over the years...keep at it. :t:

Thank you, Ken , that's kind :t:

How often do you see Lesser Spotted Woodpecker ? Is your garden quite large?

I have had 2 more additions, whilst hoping my neighbours don't think that I am trying to peer through their windows:

6 Herring Gull - in flight - over the house- the Clevedon coast is not too far away - They were the main Gull that we saw on our coastal walk and 32 species, yesterday -about a mile and a half away from the house-

7 Woodpigeon -first heard then perched in the tree in a neighbours' garden.

Kind regards, Carol

Yer cheeky monkey, stop casting nasturtiums as my Gran used to say. Took a picture of our humble abode for you on my way back from the village just now, we are of course the little one in the middle, we’m simple folk oh arr.
Three species seen on my walk that haven’t made it onto 2020’s Garden List ( Starling8-P, Goldcrest and Long-tailed Tit), so hoping for some additions soon.

Thank you for your welcome to the thread Richard, that's kind of you.

I was enjoying looking at your picture of your home, earlier this morning. It's really good to see where you are making your garden observations from .

When you say " in the middle" did you mean in the middle of the lower row ?

I was fascinated to read that you have Spotted Nutcracker on your garden list..... and somewhat envious, lol :t: - I saw 7 for the first time last year in the forests of Estonia-great bird :t:

Well, I'm a little on the late side to adding my list of birds to this thread, but gotta catch up sometime!
So far this year I've gotten 42 species from my apartment building in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
I'll list them in order of date:
Jan 1:
1) Common Tailorbird
2) Rock Pigeon
3) Black Kite
4) House Crow
5) Large-billed Crow
6) Red-vented Bulbul
7) House Sparrow
8) Little Cormorant
9) Rose-ringed Parakeet
10) Asian Pied Starling
11) Chestnut-tailed Starling

Jan 6:
12) Peregrine Falcon
13) Oriental Magpie-robin

Jan 7:
14) Eurasian Kestrel
15) Jungle Myna
16) Indian Silverbill
17) White Wagtail

Jan 8:
18) Purple Sunbird
19) House Swift

Jan 9:
20) Black-rumped Flameback

Jan 16:
21) Black-hooded Oriole

Jan 20:
22) Barn Swallow

Jan 22:
23) Shikra

Jan 23:
24) Asian Koel

Jan 25:
25) Fulvous-breasted Woodpecker

Jan 26:
26) Common Myna

Jan 28:
27) Spotted Dove

Feb 2:
28) Eurasian Hoopoe: flyby and the first new life yard bird of the year. #48 total
29) Red-necked Falcon

Feb 9:
30) Brahminy Kite

Feb 12:
31) Coppersmith Barbet

Feb 19:
32) Green Bee-eater
33) Citrine Wagtail - flyover for another new yard bird. #49

March 3:
34) Indian Pond Heron

March 11:
35) White-browed Wagtail

March 17:
36) Asian Palm Swift

March 20:
37) Black Drongo

March 23:
38) Blyth's Reed Warbler - yard bird #50! They're starting to head back to their breeding grounds and on the way are stopping at trees in the city. I've had one more since
39) Barn Owl - another yard bird #51 (and lifer!). Unsatisfactory views as it flew past a ways off then heard again. I knew they were common in the area, just was never out at the right time. I since got much better views

March 25:
40) Booted Eagle - surprising yard bird. #52

March 28:
41) Purple-rumped Sunbird

March 31:
42) Black-crowned Night-heron

Ok, I'm in. Small garden, but decent aspect, in North East Wales.

24th March
1) Greenfinch
2) Goldfinch
3) Great Tit
4) Blue Tit
5) Long-tailed Tit
6) Dunnock
7) Robin
8) Magpie
9) Jackdaw
10) Collared Dove
11) Woodpigeon
12) Stock Dove
13) Lesser Black-backed Gull
14) Herring Gull
15) Chiffchaff

Hello JWN, thank you for your welcome to the thread , that's kind of you :t:

Your story about photographing the peregrine made me laugh- hopefully your neighbour didn't clock you, lol !

Good to hear where you are making your garden observations from .... and that I am not the only one observing from a postage stamp ;) Are you surrounded by houses on all sides too ?

Best regards, Carol

Last edited:
Now employing more subtefuge, by looking and listening through the open bathroom window has rewarded me with :

8) smart, male Greenfinch, perched
9) Carrion Crows, in flight
10) Blue Tit feeding around blossom buds
11) Perched Collared Dove.

Lovely sunshine here in Clevedon, at present.

Happy birding everyone :t:

Nervous 99

You're on a roll Carol (perhaps a loo roll if you're in the bathroom :eek!:) In the photo you refer to we're higher up the hill where the snow was starting to lie, to the right of a new-looking paler chalet and to the left of the older darker one (both bigger than our place).
First Garden tick of the year just now which takes us to 99 since we arrived at this address in 2016, I didn't believe my ears at first as it's a song rarely heard heard at our altitude in the region, even managed to fire off a couple of distant 'record shots' as I believe they're called;):

59 Short-toed Treecreeper

I wonder what the 100th will be and will it be this year even (only two Garden ticks last year so the possibilities are reducing), I still reckon Whinchat is a glaring omission, they breed only 3kms away for heaven's sake:C

Attachments

• S t T 1.4.20.jpg
    S t T 1.4.20.jpg
    476 KB · Views: 42
Ken, bravo on the Woodlarks. Really hoping extra time at home will, at some point, net me something equally exciting!

Cheers JWN,.....extra time will surely deliver!....the more you put in, the more you get out. :t:

Thank you, Ken , that's kind :t:

How often do you see Lesser Spotted Woodpecker ? Is your garden quite large?

Carol Hi, Once in neighbour's garden (Jan) and in mine (Mar)...regarding frequency in garden, last time was probably c25 years ago. (abode backs on to woodland...which helps). Garden is c20 x 12m and is ''stocked'' with endemic trees...Holly, Ivy, Hawthorn, Ash, Elder, Sallow, small pond and a few Conifers.

Cheers

Attachments

• P1740590.jpeg    Oh what a beautiful morning..jpeg
    P1740590.jpeg Oh what a beautiful morning..jpeg
    105.7 KB · Views: 45
Cheers JWN,.....extra time will surely deliver!....the more you put in, the more you get out. :t:

Carol Hi, Once in neighbour's garden (Jan) and in mine (Mar)...regarding frequency in garden, last time was probably c25 years ago. (abode backs on to woodland...which helps). Garden is c20 x 12m and is ''stocked'' with endemic trees...Holly, Ivy, Hawthorn, Ash, Elder, Sallow, small pond and a few Conifers.

Cheers

Don't think any of those trees are endemics, Ken. Native, but not endemic.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back