• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How can you differentiate old ATS 80HD model from new ATS 80HD? (1 Viewer)

nature elvis

Hi

I'm thinking of getting a used ATS 80HD but before I do I want to be sure it's the most recent model. How can I be sure it's the aluminium one that follows the magnesium ATM and not the ATS 80HD which predated it? As far as I can tell they look identical. Are there any clear, visual signs on the body that would give it away other than say a serial number?

Regards

The serial no. is inside the bayonet mount. Add 1930 to the first two digits to indicate the year of manufacture.
My ATM 65HD begins with 81, i.e. 2011 so an ATS with anything higher than that should be the current model.

John

The serial no. is inside the bayonet mount. Add 1930 to the first two digits to indicate the year of manufacture.
My ATM 65HD begins with 81, i.e. 2011 so an ATS with anything higher than that should be the current model.

John

Thanks John, I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

I think its important to understand as I was concerned I could mistakenly pick up an earlier model with the inferior optics in the belief it is the version that followed the ATM. This helps. Thanks again.

As the OP indicates, ATS and ATM (and STS and STM) units are externally identical

From my observation of advertised units:

A) Original ATS/ STS production was from early 2002 to mid 2009: U7207 06132 to U7923 85182 (presumedly from an 06000 start)

B) ATM/ STM production was from early 2009 to early 2012: U7904 81968 to U8215 23737, and

C) New ATS/ STS production is from late 2011: U8147 20999 on

And there is no distinction between the numbering of non-HD and HD models, or different objective sizes

The same optical and mechanical design is used throughout the series in different alloy housings i.e. aluminium > magnesium > aluminium
- though the coatings have progressively improved over time e.g. see the work of Gijs van Ginkel at: https://www.houseofoutdoor.com/verrekijkers/verrekijkers-testen-en-vergelijken/

As John indicates in post #2, the serial number is located in the lens mount, and adding 1930 to the first 2 digits of the number indicates the year of manufacture
In addition, the next 2 digits indicate the week of the year of production, and the rest the consecutive production number

Also the inside of the mount is marked 'ATS' or 'ATM' (or 'STS' or 'STM') as appropriate
- and HD units are marked as such both on the focus collar and inside the mount

John

Last edited:
As the OP indicates, ATS and ATM (and STS and STM) units are externally identical

From my observation of advertised units:

A) Original ATS/ STS production was from early 2002 to mid 2009: U7207 06132 to U7923 85182 (presumedly from an 06000 start)

B) ATM/ STM production was from early 2009 to early 2012: U7904 81968 to U8215 23737, and

C) New ATS/ STS production is from late 2011: U8147 20999 on

And there is no distinction between the numbering of non-HD and HD models, or different objective sizes

The same optical and mechanical design is used throughout the series in different alloy housings i.e. aluminium > magnesium > aluminium
- though the coatings have progressively improved over time e.g. see the work of Gijs van Ginkel at: https://www.houseofoutdoor.com/verrekijkers/verrekijkers-testen-en-vergelijken/

As John indicates in post #2, the serial number is located in the lens mount, and adding 1930 to the first 2 digits of the number indicates the year of manufacture
In addition, the next 2 digits indicate the week of the year of production, and the rest the consecutive production number

Also the inside of the mount is marked 'ATS' or 'ATM' (or 'STS' or 'STM') as appropriate
- and HD units are marked as such both on the focus collar and inside the mount

John

Brilliant, thanks John. That's really helpful.

Not quite. ATM/STM have a black lens hood and a green focusser. On the ATS/STS it's vice versa.
I believe the latest ATS/STS are only made in HD versions, although the non-HD 65 mm scopes were allegedly quite good.
Swarovski's 65 mm and 80 mm scopes have the same focal length of 460 mm, giving the 65 mm versions an unusually "slow" focal ratio (for a spotting scope) of f/7.
This allowed moderately good correction of CA without the use of ED glass.

John

Thanks John (post #6),

You're of course right on both points (the differing colour combinations of the external coverings, and all the post 2011 ATS/ STS production being the HD version)
. . . ah, the perils of posting without sufficient scrutiny!

John

And for clarification: ATS vs ATM

Attachments

• ATS.jpg
    ATS.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 128
  • ATM.jpg
    ATM.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 123
Last edited:
Well, after all that I've decided to go for a used pair of the original 8.5x42 EL's which I've picked up at a good price. I think I'll revisit the scope idea at a later date. Thanks again guys.

atm tas

Thanks John (post #6),

You're of course right on both points (the differing colour combinations of the external coverings, and all the post 2011 ATS/ STS production being the HD version)
. . . ah, the perils of posting without sufficient scrutiny!

John

And for clarification: ATS vs ATM

I have had both scope versions (ATM and ATS latter as well as the earlier pre 2011 model).There is a difference in sharpness between the ATM and either ATS (pre 2011 and the more current model now)...although part of the difference I see is in the eye-piece. When I had the earlier version (pre-2011) ATS as well as the ATM, both scopes had the 20-60 eyepiece. I can remember looking thru the ATM with the eyepiece and wondered if I got a bad copy of the scope for something just wasn't right about the focus quality. I sold that scope and later bought the newer model of the ATS but this time I purchased the 25-50 eyepiece. WOW....what a difference.

I can conclude from my experiences with those three scopes that the older version of the ATS was superior in quality to the ATM (if both used the 20-60 eyepiece) and the latter ATS plus the 25-50 eyepiece is considerable better than both of those other scope combos..... jim

Last edited:
I can conclude from my experiences with those three scopes that the older version of the ATS was superior in quality to the ATM (if both used the 20-60 eyepiece) and the latter ATS plus the 25-50 eyepiece is considerable better than both of those other scope combos..... jim

Thanks Jim,
the ATM (evolution of the serie in the brand) was only supposed to have a Magnesium based body vs ATS, right? (apparently not).
Regards
Yves

Just to ask a stupid question. Does all of the advice above also relate to the 65mm version please ? So anything past 2011 will be an HD version in the 65

Many thanks

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Just to ask a stupid question. Does all of the advice above also relate to the 65mm version please ? So anything past 2011 will be an HD version in the 65

Many thanks

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

There were eight different versions of the ATM/STM and the old ATS/STS scopes, 65 & 80, angled and straight and HD and non-HD. All the newer ATS/STS scopes have HD objectives.
Perhaps Jim's poor ATM scope was a non-HD version. He doesn't state whether it was a 65 or 80, but a non-HD 80 would be very obviously inferior to an 80 HD.

John

PS:- The HD scopes have HD lettering on the focussing wheel.

Last edited:
There were eight different versions of the ATM/STM and the old ATS/STS scopes, 65 & 80, angled and straight and HD and non-HD. All the newer ATS/STS scopes have HD objectives.
Perhaps Jim's poor ATM scope was a non-HD version. He doesn't state whether it was a 65 or 80, but a non-HD 80 would be very obviously inferior to an 80 HD.

John

PS:- The HD scopes have HD lettering on the focussing wheel.

John..you are probably correct now that I remember it that my ATM was non HD. I just remember the first time looking into it and recalling how 'unimpressed' I was. But the HD of the ATS, which I had both the new and old, were excellent.

But...the change of eye-pieces was critical too...the 20-60 is just not as sharp as the 25-50 and the extra bit of range on either end, is un-noticed.

But...the change of eye-pieces was critical too...the 20-60 is just not as sharp as the 25-50 and the extra bit of range on either end, is un-noticed.

Jim,
The eyepiece should not influence centre sharpness or contrast to any noticeable degree, but the 25-50x does have a much better AFOV and perhaps it's better corrected for field curvature and astigmatism for better edge sharpness.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back