• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kenya IDs #2 (1 Viewer)

RichardP

Two Shrikes from Ol Donyo in the Chyulu Hills.

Is the first Isabelline?

The others seem to be plain grey on the head and back, and no separation between the black eye stripe and the grey crown?

Attachments

• Kenya Bird IDs_05.jpg
    Kenya Bird IDs_05.jpg
    353.3 KB · Views: 59
  • Kenya Bird IDs_16.jpg
    Kenya Bird IDs_16.jpg
    564.4 KB · Views: 56
  • Kenya Bird IDs_17.jpg
    Kenya Bird IDs_17.jpg
    473.9 KB · Views: 34
  • Kenya Bird IDs_18.jpg
    Kenya Bird IDs_18.jpg
    515 KB · Views: 50
1st bird looks like adult female red backed, not sure that the second bird is a Lesser grey, looks like a good candidate for kobylini Red backed shrike.

Thanks for all the ideas - having had another close look at all the photos, and considering the time of year, and all the other sightings that were around, I'll put it down as a probable kobylini

Did you have any more pictures of the latter bird please Richard? kobylini photos are hard to come by, so any showing extent of grey nape/mantle and rump would be really helpful!

'll put it down as a probable kobylini
I asked the author of the book "Shrikes-A guide to the Shrikes of the world" for his opinion.
He thinks it's a hybrid collurio x phoenicuroides.
He also tells me : "Mixed couples are regular in at least three geographic areas"
Jean

Thanks Jean, I certainly bow to those with far superior knowledge than I can hope to attain, but I wondered if the OP had additional photos (showing the mantle) which lead him to agree with kobylini? I'd still be interested in seeing those, if for no other reason than broadening my knowledge.
A question to both yourself and Tom, what features did you use to ID it please?

Thanks Jean, I certainly bow to those with far superior knowledge than I can hope to attain, but I wondered if the OP had additional photos (showing the mantle) which lead him to agree with kobylini? I'd still be interested in seeing those, if for no other reason than broadening my knowledge.

nice grey had almost as in Red-backed but mantle colour wrong and tail mixture of black and redish

The author of "Shrikes" asked, like Shirihai and Svensson (2018), believe that collurio is monotypical.
Jean

No further photos

Daniel - Sorry - I don't have any further photos of this particular bird.

Having just caught up with the further discussion, like you, I am happy to accept the expert opinion.

Richard

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back