• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wasp nest by front door - any advice ? (1 Viewer)

Yesterday I found my 9th and 10th wasps nests in the garden. No wondering I'm getting so many in moth trap.

So far I've had to deal with five of them. The rest can stay put though one of the ones located yesterday is not in a great position as the flight path into it is straight over a path.
I'm not bothered by tham and its rubbed off onto my little daughter as she runs up to them to point it out to me!
The only time I get nervous is when someone else is freaking out and I'm afraid the wasp may think its me trying to squash it.

Angus T said:
Yesterday I found my 9th and 10th wasps nests in the garden. No wondering I'm getting so many in moth trap.

So far I've had to deal with five of them. The rest can stay put though one of the ones located yesterday is not in a great position as the flight path into it is straight over a path.
I'm not bothered by tham and its rubbed off onto my little daughter as she runs up to them to point it out to me!
The only time I get nervous is when someone else is freaking out and I'm afraid the wasp may think its me trying to squash it.

Hello Angus,
With ten wasps nests in your garden it's no wonder your loosing moths to wasps in your moth traps.

I think that the majority of people who have problems with wasps flying around them, may be standing on a flight line, or, very close to a nest site. Rather than waving their arms about in an attempt to chase the wasp away it may be more beneficial for them simply to step a few paces to one side so the wasp has a clear flight line.

Harry

Yellow Jackets are trapped in house wall!

Hi and help!

After 3 weeks of unscheduled yellow jacket visits (3/day) IN MY KITCHEN, the exterminator dusted an area of the roof that many, many of the little darlings were darting into - an interior wall void where they must have built a sizable nest (gulp)!

It is now day 3 after the dusting, and still the little ones appear in my kitchen, some dazed, some flying, (3 counted/killed today). The exterminator says they are probably trapped between the first floor ceiling and second floor. How reassuring!!!! He finds no "evidence" of them chewing through the wall board. He says they are probably coming thru the celing fixtures (again, how reassuring!!!).

ASSUMING that this nest is "plugged" (no activity on the roof anymore), how long will I have to endure these home wreckers before they and the nest starve to death? My nerves are shot! I live in New Jersey (please, no sympathy cards or letters).

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Al

alshar said:
Hi and help!

After 3 weeks of unscheduled yellow jacket visits (3/day) IN MY KITCHEN, the exterminator dusted an area of the roof that many, many of the little darlings were darting into - an interior wall void where they must have built a sizable nest (gulp)!

It is now day 3 after the dusting, and still the little ones appear in my kitchen, some dazed, some flying, (3 counted/killed today). The exterminator says they are probably trapped between the first floor ceiling and second floor. How reassuring!!!! He finds no "evidence" of them chewing through the wall board. He says they are probably coming thru the celing fixtures (again, how reassuring!!!).

ASSUMING that this nest is "plugged" (no activity on the roof anymore), how long will I have to endure these home wreckers before they and the nest starve to death? My nerves are shot! I live in New Jersey (please, no sympathy cards or letters).

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Al

Hello Al,
You wasp problem should soon resolve itself with the onset of Autumn. Once new queens have been produced the colony will go rapidly into decline. The 'dusting' done by your pest exterminator will no doubt hurry the process along, or terminate it permanently.

What you are getting at the moment are probably freshly hatched wasps which were in the pupal state when the 'dusting' was done. With some luck you should not be getting many more.

If you can find the access points to the nest, then plugging them up over the next few weeks should stop wasps entering next year and starting another colony.

Harry

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back