• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Various Swiss wildlife for ID (1 Viewer)

Surreybirder

Ken Noble
I already posted a thread about the birds I saw during a week in Switzerland (about 3,000 feet above sea level) but I thought I'd post a few other pix in case anyone can Id any of the creatures.
The beetle was well over an inch long.
The one which I think was a hoverfly was also nearly an inch long--it was inside the cheese factory at Gruyere, unlike the other photos which were taken at Caux-sur-Montreux.

Attachments

• Swiss_beetle-a.jpg
    Swiss_beetle-a.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 166
  • Swiss_hover.jpg
    Swiss_hover.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 144
  • lizards.jpg
    lizards.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 162
  • bug1.jpg
    bug1.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 156
  • bug2.jpg
    bug2.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 162
Hi,
this is from memory, just as far as i know so you should check it again:

1. A ground beetle of the genus Carabus, probably a dark legged form of C. cancellatus
2. The vein pattern in the wing shows this is not a Syrphid (=Hoverfly), but of the Family Tabanidae
3. Probably Lacerta vivipara
4. A Bee Beetle (Trichius spec), Superfamily Scaraboidea
5. A Digger wasp, but I cannot Identify it to genus (more Photos available?)
6. Trichodes spec (alveolarius?), Family Cleridae
7. Strangalia spec. , maybe maculata, Family Cerambycidae
8. Leptura rufa , Family Cerambycidae

Thanks, that was making a dull day somewhat nicer!

Jörn

Thanks Jörn! There was an abundance of insect life among the wildflowers... a lovely place. Sorry, but I've no better photo of the digger wasp.
Ken

Hi Ken
I remember the fantastic beauty of nature in switzerlands high alps, it is really great! The most fascinating insect life I found, was in the valley of the rhone on the lower and middle slopes of the mountains-also the flowers were great. Hope you enjoyed your time as much as I did mine several years ago...
sadly enough now summer is my main working time...

Jörn

Hi, Jörn. the place I was staying was a bit further down the Rhone, on a hill above Montreux. I was technically working... but fortunately there were free moments when I could look around. Many of the wildflowers were over, so I expect that there would be even more insects a month earlier. But I saw some lovely insects as well as what I think was a pine marten.
Also a fritillary which the experts are still trying to ID!
(And an orchid which I think might be fragrant orchid.)
Hope you get there again one day!
Ken

Attachments

• fritillary.jpg
    fritillary.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 157
  • fragrant_orchid.jpg
    fragrant_orchid.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 134
Surreybirder said:
I already posted a thread about the birds I saw during a week in Switzerland (about 3,000 feet above sea level) but I thought I'd post a few other pix in case anyone can Id any of the creatures.
The beetle was well over an inch long.
The one which I think was a hoverfly was also nearly an inch long--it was inside the cheese factory at Gruyere, unlike the other photos which were taken at Caux-sur-Montreux.

Hi,
A bit late with a response but only just noticed this. I think the lizard is a wall lizard of some kind and not a viviparous lizard. A possible candidate is Podarcis muralis The Common Wall Lizard. A good site for ID is www.herp.it

If you do want to check look at all the pictures of this species as there seems to be a tremendous variation. I am not sure how comprehensive this site is though.

Keith

Keithec said:
Hi,
A bit late with a response but only just noticed this. I think the lizard is a wall lizard of some kind and not a viviparous lizard. A possible candidate is Podarcis muralis The Common Wall Lizard. A good site for ID is www.herp.it

If you do want to check look at all the pictures of this species as there seems to be a tremendous variation. I am not sure how comprehensive this site is though.

Keith
Thanks, Keith,
Somewhere along the line, when I changed pcs, quite a few of my photos got corrupted. However, I've downloaded the lizards from this page and re-edited them. I think the result is a bit better?
Ken

Attachments

• lizards.jpg
    lizards.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 147
Without a doubt, the lizards are Lacerta (Zootoca) vivipara. They're commonly associated with high altitudes in southern europe (as are sand lizards!).

Regards, Lee.

I double-checked my original idea of this being L. vivipara and i still have to say that this looks best to me for the pics available.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back