• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bridge camera - general question (1 Viewer)

wunderlong88

I've been reading alot of threads here about using various bridge cameras (the Nikon P900 and others) and seeing pics that people have taken with them. What I don't know is if most of the shots are using a tripod or if you can get these great shots handheld?

I'm looking for something that I can use mostly handheld.

TY!

I've been reading alot of threads here about using various bridge cameras (the Nikon P900 and others) and seeing pics that people have taken with them. What I don't know is if most of the shots are using a tripod or if you can get these great shots handheld?

I'm looking for something that I can use mostly handheld.

TY!

I never use a tripod but when you get to the longer FL you can increase your keeper rate by using continuous and taking three or four shots, you often find the second or third is better than the first.

Most of the time, it's down to the photographer, more than the camera or stabilization system. Even stabilized, when you get into extreme focal lengths, it requires a fairly steady stance, good holding technique, etc. So those who have long-lens experience and are good, steady photographers will usually be fine handheld, those who don't practice good technique to hold still and firm may suffer some issues getting good results without blur. A monopod or tripod can help those who are a little less steady or practiced to hold the camera still enough to use those long focal lengths.

So what focal lengths are typically fine handheld? What zoom/mm is where is starts to typically be a problem without a tripod (assuming a decent image stabilization system)

I think for most people, up to 300mm or so could be handled by most people, if stabilized...even if not too steady...400-600mm gets into a range where it would take someone with a little more knowledge with proper holding techniques and a good, firm stance. Over 600mm would be more challenging for the average person, even with an excellent stabilization system...you'd need to likely practice and learn to hold better, or use a monopod to help out until you get better at it.

With very good technique and a lot of experience, even very long focal lengths are possible handheld. I've been shooting with DSLRs and mirrorless bodies with giant birding lenses for over a decade, so I've gotten pretty good with my steady hold...I've shot 1,800mm handheld with an APS-C sensor - much less forgiving than small sensors due to the very shallow depth of field and high resolution sensors.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back