• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Great White Worm of the Pacific Northwest (1 Viewer)

Cakes767

gardener
The Great White Worm of the Pacific Northwest is so rare that he cannot even be included in plans for preservation unless there are more sightings of him. He is native to the Willamette Valley in Oregon, US.

Oregon is also home to the largest known living organism on earth; a Honey Mushroom that covers 2,200 acres. They just discovered another huge one in Europe last year and he's estimated to be 1,000 years old. Honey mushrooms are edible by the way and the people of Euope gather the above ground sprouts every year during harvest season.

The Great White Worm is huge too and has other distinctions as well, for instance, he can spit 4 feet and Moby's spit makes especially good castings because it smells like a lily. I saw Moby in my garden one day and he was so huge I thought he was a snake. He only breeched up from the deep for a moment but as soon as I was able to take in the fact that he was wearing irridescent rainbow skin I knew I had just seen the biggest worm of my life.

Consider keeping a compost pile even if you don't have a garden yet (or aren't planning one) because Moby is a good friend. If you do have a garden, keep a watch out and fyi-don't use diatomaceous earth because it kills all soft bodied small fellows, even earthworms. maybe even Moby sized ones.

I saw Moby in California so he is definately alive and well (he says it's going to be an early spring this year) and his species may be spreading even further now since I became aquainted with him in Cali about 10 years ago. The sighting location was Quartz Valley, Siskiyou County, California, U.S. of A.

The only other sighting I could find of Moby is this one>
http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/news/oregonian/01/03/lc_61great30.frame

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back