• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Southern Migrant Hawker (1 Viewer)

Apparently several male Aeshna affinis at a site in Essex according to the BDS website. Anyone any info?

O

Well a modern browser (not this carp I've got at work) reveals the finder's name when you hover (your mouse) over the initials on the BDS page. You could try contacting him.

HTH

My interest was purely casual! I have never quite got my head around twitching insects!

O

Neither have I but there are plenty of people who do! It's at this point I usually launch into a diatribe against twitchers but I must be mellowing in my late middle age.

Must be old before my late youth (I can't call 33 early middle age yet)! I have done the twitching thing with birds but got more interested in finding my own stuff. For some reason I have never had the urge to twitch an insect even though I'd like to see some of these things. I've always assumed that I will find my own somewhere - the dream keeps me going!

O

Birdguides reports: "Essex; 8 Southern Migrant Hawkers in Hadleigh Castle CP by the pond and ditch near the railway, 800m from the station".

Presumably this means Benfleet Railway Station?

Twitch an insect. Who in there right mind would do such a thing?

Anyone know where the best place to park? Likely to be a challange so near to Leigh on Sea and Southend. Seems like a long walk from the country park car park?

Seems quite a spectacular species. Suspect there will be fair crowd there tomorrow.

Further gen from Birdguides:
"Still 3+ male Southern Migrant Hawkers at Hadleigh Castle CP at 16:55. Park at Benfleet Station and follow the central path east for 1km to the pond just north of the railway and south of the ridge TQ788857".

Twitch an insect. Who in there right mind would do such a thing?

Anyone know where the best place to park?

Taking these two questions together, kind of suggests that you may not be 'in your right mind'!;)

If you park near Benfleet Station (there is a pay and display car park), you can enter the country park through the gate at the junction of Station Road, School Lane and St Mary's Road and and follow the path as directed above. You will probably see several mixta Migrant Hawkers, and perhaps a Southern Migrant or two on the way.
We saw several mature males + at least one immature male and a female.

Attachments

• Southern-Migrant-Hawker---Hadleigh.jpg
    Southern-Migrant-Hawker---Hadleigh.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 394
  • Southern-Migrant-Hawker-2--Hadleigh - Copy.jpg
    Southern-Migrant-Hawker-2--Hadleigh - Copy.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 327
  • Southern-Migrant-Hawker-(Imm)--Hadleigh.jpg
    Southern-Migrant-Hawker-(Imm)--Hadleigh.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 280
Details (and a map) plus more pics on my blog - link below. It's a longer walk from the main country park car park, so coming in from the Benfleet station end is the best bet.

Thanks for the directions, and for posting the great pictures. Talk about blue eyes! Hope the sun breaks through tomorrow.

What a great find this is, and thanks for making the news public, to the finders.

One showed well till 5:45 pm, after which only one was glimpsed fleetingly at about 6:30. All my later sightings (till 7:45 pm) were inconclusive.

For the botanistically interested: on the way to the pond, you pass a nice patch of Hartwort on the downs.

Still 2+ males around today up to 2pm when I left; also 2-3 Anax imperator over the main pond and Aeshna mixta regularly up the track up the slope. Fabulous find and apparently also in Kent today! The great Odonata colonisation continues - what next??

cheers, alan

Southern Migrant Hawkers: A bit like buses really, as soon as you've seen one more follow.

Visited Cliffe with DB and JL, and after seeing a female Southern Emerald Damselfly, a tandem pair of Southern Migrant Hawkers turned up and cruised up and down the ditch (chased by the Kent dragonfly recorders).

Tomorrow I'll try for one in Hertfordshire! ;)

I had a bright 'migrant hawker' cruise past me at the same [Cliffe] site on 21st. I let it go as I was chasing after a male lesser emperor that had flown past 15 seconds previously! A case of not knowing where to look. I sense a trip back there on Tues.

I had a bright 'migrant hawker' cruise past me at the same [Cliffe] site on 21st. I let it go as I was chasing after a male lesser emperor that had flown past 15 seconds previously! A case of not knowing where to look. I sense a trip back there on Tues.

Very interesting! Hopefully they'll hang around for you. I would've settled for Lesser Emperor today, still not seen one in the UK.

So, for the second time this weekend, I've updated my blog with photos of Southern Migrant Hawker. Yesterday was perhaps somewhat predictable, given the news from Hadleigh on Thursday... but today was just amazing luck, to be stood about ten yards away from someone finding two more!

Just had a thought. With this Argos it! Odonata spotting purple patch that we are currently enjoying..

Anyone yet in the over 50 club?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back