• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My Other Wildlife Life List (1 Viewer)

gthang

Ford Focus Fanatic: mmmmmm... 3.1415926535.....
Well, I couldn't post this in the Lists forum, since that is for BIRDS, so here is my relatively short life list of mammals, spiders, insects, reptiles, amphibians, butterflies, etc...

MAMMALS:
1. Common Racoon (Procyon lotor)
2. Eastern Chipmunk (Tamias striatus)
3. Eastern Gray Squirrel (Sciurus carolinensis)
4. Red Squirrel (Tamiasciurus hudsonicus)
5. Striped Skunk (Mephitis mephitis)
6. Woodchuck (Marmota monax)
7. White-Tailed Deer (Odocoileus virginianus)
8. Common Muskrat (Ondatra zibethicus)
9. Black-Tailed Prairie Dog (Cynomys ludovicianus)

BUTTERFLIES:
1. Eastern Tiger Swallowtail (Papilio glaucus)
2. Cabbage White (Pieris rapae)
3. Pearl Crescentspot (Phyciodes tharos)
4. Red Admiral (Vanessa atalanta)
5. Juvenal’s Duskywing (Erynnis juvenal)
6. Frosted Elfin (Callophrys irus)
7. Compton's Tortoiseshell (Nymphalis vaualbum)
8. Eastern Comma (Polygonia comma)

REPTILES & AMPHIBIANS:
1. Eastern Red-Backed Salamander (Plethodon cinereus)
2. Painted Turtle (Chrysemys picta picta)
3. Green Frog (Rana clamitans melanota)
4. Northern Water Snake (Nerodia sipedon sipedon)
5. Eastern Ribbon Snake (Thamnophis sauritus sauritus)
6. Snapping Turtle (Chelydra serpentina serpentina)
7. Northern Leopard Frog (Rana pipiens)
8. American Bullfrog (Rana catesbeiana)
9. Eastern Newt (Notophthalmus viridescens)

SPIDERS:
1. Black-and-Yellow Garden Spider (Argiope aurantia)
2. American House Spider (Achaearanea tepidariorum)
3. Venusta Orchard Spider (Leucauge venusta)
4. Daring Jumping Spider (Phidippus audax)
5. Funnel-Web Grass Spider (Agelenopsis naevia)
6. Crab Spider (Misumenoides formosipes)

INSECTS:
1. Carolina Locust (Dissosteira carolina)
2. House Cricket (Acheta domestica)

DRAGONFLIES:
1. Widow Skimmer (Libellula luctuosa)
2. Eastern Pondhawk (Erythemis simplicicollis)

This is it so far, trying to ID a freaky-looking spider with spikes on its abdomen, a tiny snail, and a possible beetle larva...

Last edited:
Butterflies are insects, GT. And snails are molluscs, a whole new phylum (I think)... But hey, a good start. You'd better get a BIG notebook, though if you're going to keep a list of every thing that moves.

yeah, charles I know, but since they're more noticeable than other insects, I thought it was appropriate to have a separate list just for Butterflies. Still haven't gotten anything on the spiky spider. However, I've ID'd the larva as a Glowworm larva, but which species it is, I don't know, and ENature doesn't have a insect table for my area...

OK, it's been quite a while since I've last posted on this site... bird year list still coming along albeit slowly. Anyway, since this list was posted I've had some major changes to the lists.

First, the Butterflies. I've found a Compton's Tortoiseshell on Thursday April 7th, which is a new butterfly for me. Also, I've been trying to confirm IDs for two butterflies, namely a Red-Spotted Purple and a Pearl Crescent. At first I thought that the Purple was indeed a Purple, but early last week, I discovered that the females of the Eastern Tiger Swallowtail look almost exactly like the Purple! So Based on what I remember seeing on the "Purples" we saw, I concluded that it was in fact an Eastern Tiger Swallowtail female. And what I know know is a Pearl Crescent, I used to think was a Sivler-Bordered Fritillary...

And the Compton's Tortoiseshell... During my ID process I came across the ID of Painted Lady. But the Painted Lady had blue spots on the Hind Wings, whereas my mystery butterfly did not. So I took note of all the physical features of my mystery butterfly, and it turns out to be the Compton's Tortoiseshell, which has white spots on the leading edge of the hind wings, same as my mystery butterfly.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back