• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

UK dragonflies and damselflies, 2013 (1 Viewer)

Despite repeated visits 1-5 Jun, no sign of any northern damselflies at the pond near Loch Garten. No sign of northern emerald at Uath Lochan nor (per a friend) at Loch Maree on 4 Jun. Late spring put paid to chances of both, I guess.

I hesitate to say this, but BDS website now has a report of northern damsel at Loch Garten on 9 June. Also allegations of "hot weather".

I hesitate to say this, but BDS website now has a report of northern damsel at Loch Garten on 9 June. Also allegations of "hot weather".

Yes I saw. Was gripped but not surprised. My feeling was 'any day now' which is why I kept checking. Same happened to us earlier in the week with chequered skipper: we left two days before they emerged a the site we had been watching

Sorry JCL. We had an immature female Northern Emerald, flushed by chance on Wednesday evening at Uath Lochan. A couple of warm days I guess.

Nick and Phil

Attachments

• Northern Emearaldemail.JPG
    Northern Emearaldemail.JPG
    397.5 KB · Views: 84
  • Northern Emerald1email.JPG
    Northern Emerald1email.JPG
    390.9 KB · Views: 95
Dragonflies and Butterflies website

Hi Guys,
Not sure if you all know about a website called Bugalert? It is run by a friend of mine. He is trying to collect all info about these creatures. He has, on the Bugalert section, all the dates of when these should be, and/or are out flying about. Would help with anyone wanting to know about any certain creatures whereabouts!! Check it out, you may also want to send in your sightings too, all helps?
Cheers

Norfolk hawkers at Paxton pits Cambs. 23 June. On Hayling pit. 2 seen from the viewing point near the allotments. Good value cups of coffee at visitor centre , they should be able to update visitors to the latest news.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/aves-and-more/9119214710/in/set-72157625164915244

Only just seen this dragonfly forum , can confirm it was really hot at loch Garten when watching the Northern Damsels back on 9th June and not a single midge to be seen!
Was just a quick day visit so very lucky I guess.

just seen a report on Severnside Birds website of at least 3 Scarce Blue-tailed Damsels, including cracking photo. Present on a small pool at Western Approach rd. A great find!

Loads of damselflies (assuming) at Forest Farm, they seemed to be getting it on too. Also saw a broad bodied chaser.

Attachments

• DSC00804.jpg
    DSC00804.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 47
  • DSC00806.jpg
    DSC00806.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC00807.jpg
    DSC00807.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 52
I took a walk at one of my usual spots on Thursday around midday to see if there were any Dragonflies appearing yet, and was rewarded with a rather nice Four Spotted Chaser, the first time I have seen one at this location - Wilstone Reservoir. The meadow grasses were at chest height in places and I spent about 30 minutes wading through it all with my camera held above my head as I followed the Dragonfly waiting for it to perch so I could get some shots. All good fun but a hayfever sufferers nightmare as I was covered in seeds and pollen by the time I made it back to the path.

Here are a couple of shots - well worth the effort (and mossie bites) I think. I'll be back there this afternoon to see what else I can find.

Attachments

• IMGP2201 small.jpg
    IMGP2201 small.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 45
  • IMGP2209 small.jpg
    IMGP2209 small.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 49
Brilliant Emeralds showing well today around SW corner of Black Pond, Esher Common today. Not the best of pictures.

Phil

Attachments

• Brilliant Emeraldemail.JPG
    Brilliant Emeraldemail.JPG
    416.4 KB · Views: 117
Great photo! How many did you see + any other species of note there?

Hi aeshna5, pretty much constantly present with a rapid turn over of individuals, as they kept chasing each other away. I was hoping to find an ovipositing female (but with the family so not able to wait till later in the afternoon). Not a great deal of other species noted (usual damsels only). Hobby hunting around a lot of the time so suspect hawkers about.

Phil

Forgot to say there may have been the odd Downy, but not sure of this. The pictures I've checked so far seem to have long anal appendages and yellow in the face.

Forgot to say there may have been the odd Downy, but not sure of this. The pictures I've checked so far seem to have long anal appendages and yellow in the face.

Thanks. I know Downys have been reported there recently on the BDS Hot sightings page.

Loads of scarce chasers out at Wheatfen Broad yesterday, some mating although none seen ovipositing. Lots of banded demoiselles too, plus half a dozen other species including Norfolk hawker. A very impressive place, well worth the difficulty I had finding it.

RSPB Strumpshaw Fen had Norfolk hawkers and four-spotted chasers putting on a good display along the ditch by the meadow path, together with ridiculous numbers of mating azure damsels.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back