• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help with Nature Diaries (1 Viewer)

cjay

Notebooks.

I have always been interested in Wildlife & now wish to further my knowledge. What is the basic kit for an amateur Naturalist?

All one needs to study & record wildlife is a hardback pocket notebook preferably lined & a pen or pencil.

What notebook do you recommend?

I use an A6 “Black n’ Red notebook from office supply shops code C66655.

What do I put in my notebook?

Well to start with write the current day’s date, the weather & the time of your visit.
You then write down all you see on your walk. Be it birds Mammals, plants or whatever.

How do I know what I am looking at?

If you have no Natural History reference books at all purchase an all round field guide preferably a photographic guide like the Collins Complete British Wildlife Guide ISBN:0-00-220071-6.This will help you identify all manner of common wildlife.
Then just list what you see.

Do I leave my notes in that book or can I do something with them when I get home?

Why not keep a Nature Diary? An A4 hardback book is ideal. Here you can write a description of your field trip in great detail including all the things you have seen.

What then?

How far you go is up to you. There are Natural History recorders in many Counties who will take your records from you and keep them in an archive. Bird records can go to the County Recorder monthly.
If you do not want to publish your findings then keep them to yourself.
I consider this a rather selfish attitude & would encourage all Naturalists to send there records to the county recorders.

Can I place photographs in my Nature Diaries?

Well yes. I tend to intersperse mine with photographs of birds or butterflies etc.
Remember it is your book & you can add as much or as little as you like.

Can you show me an example of a Nature Diary?

Yes!

Saturday 9th November 2002.

Weather: After Heavy Rain again last night. A cool & overcast day with light showers.

Flixton Marsh Lane area Blundeston.
A Casual list of plants in Flower & Fungi with Birds added too.

Coprinus plicatilis (Little Japanese Umbrella)
Psathyrella velutina (Weeping Widow)
Lepista flaccida/Clitocybe flaccida (Tawny Funnel Cap)
Lepiota rhacodes (Shaggy Parasol)
Pleurotus ostreatus (Oyster Mushroom)
Pluteus salicinus (Grey Pluteus)
Stereum hirsutum (Hairy Stereum)
Microsphaera alphitoides (Oak Powdery Mildew.

Plants in Flower recorded here too were:

Ballota nigra (Black Horehound)
Hypochaeris radicata (Cat's-Ear)
Lamium purpureum (Red Dead-Nettle)
Persicaria bistorta/Polygonum bistorta (Common Bistort)
Raphanus raphanistrum (Sea Radish)
Silene dioica (Red Campion)
Silene dioica x latifolia ( Hybrid Campion)
Silene latifolia (White Campion)
Sisymbrium officinale (Hedge Mustard)
Tripleurospermum inodorum (Scentless Mayweed).

Birds
Barnacle Goose. Skiens of two flocks of 180 + 60 flew over Flixton Marsh
lane from the Somerleyton Marshes where Wildfowl shooting was taking place.

Green Woodpecker. One heard on Blundeston Marshes.
Greater Spotted Woodpecker. One.
Skylark. 20 on Stubble Field.

Your journal sounds wonderful, Jacob. Do you sketch in it, too?

Reminds me of a story -- I think it's true: At the beginning of manned space flight, the US realized it needed a writing utensil for space, one that would write in zero gravity, upside down, etc. They spent millions on research.

The Russians used a pencil.

Thanks. I am no sketcher but I use photographs instead. Nature Diaries give you something to look back on in increasing years & always a joy to read when Ill. As they help me to get better so I can go out again. It is good to look back at certain times of the year to see if sightings of early flowers correspond with this year.

CJ

Thanks Jacob for your post. I'm sorry I missed it before today. It sounds like a wonderful idea. I have been a journal writer for a number of years but have never considered a true Nature Diary. I have a day timer that I sometimes make a quick note in if I see something unusual. I do have lists on my computer but do not like the computer for journaling and doubt I would like it for a Nature Diary. I'm going to check out the office supply next time and see if there is a good hardcover I could use and give it a try. My only trouble is that I live in the middle of nature and there is always so much to see I'll never get anything else done.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back