• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I'm a Woodpecker (1 Viewer)

Ok, being this has stumped the experts it's time for a clue and bragging rights awarded for correct ID. If ID can't be established another clue will follow.

Head not visible in the first pic ( post #1 ).

BTW, the pics were taken in my yard from the dining window.

Attachments

• pileated woodpecker 3 5-15-05.jpg
    pileated woodpecker 3 5-15-05.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Pileated woodpecker
Yea, bragging rights awarded to rosbifs.

Not common here and the first and only one I ever saw which was in 2005. I understand they are fairly common a couple hundred miles south. If I hadn't seen him / her fly into the tree I would have never known. I first thought a large hawk coming through the yard until it perched itself on the side of that tree trunk at full speed.

Here is another pic.

Attachments

• Pileated Woodpecker parts ID 5-15-05.jpg
    Pileated Woodpecker parts ID 5-15-05.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 107
Hummmph... I got it before I saw Rosbif's reply - honest!

What a great garden bird for you SC.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back