• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Behaviour (2 Viewers)

birdman

Орнитол&
Just a "What's your favourite..." thread here.

The lapwings have recently started tumbling, which is something I enjoy seeing. And it got me thinking, what is your favorite bird behaviour.

No restritctions...

In addition to the Lapwings, I also enjoy the courtship dance of Great Crested Grebes.

Just recently I watched a pair of marsh harriers displaying. They were meeting claw to claw in a tumbling display. It was breathtaking.

With a bit of luck if they nest I might be able to see a food pass - I saw this for the first time ever last year.

This is my favourite (for now!)

Robin

It's The Hummingbird doing loop de loops in the backyard. One year a Hummingbird got so carried away with himself, he hit the ground and flew away in disgrace. He was really old and had a knot on his head, but I loved him best. His feathers were all messy too. He came back later,but this time he contented himself sitting on a branch next to me,looking sheepishly at me every so often.

Birdman,you always find the most interesting subjects to post:gh:Thank You.

The mating dance of the cranes is very beautiful. Also the way that the francolins gather all their tiny babies beneath them when anything approaches, and sit there looking just like large brown tea-cosies. Oh, and the way that the crowned hornbills sort of crash-land onto a branch. And . . . but I could go on and on!

Mine so far is the head jerking display of the Goldeneye male with females around. I tried it myself as you might have read and hurt my neck!!!

OH!OH! OH! Andrew!!! Sympathy and empathy to you.

Right arm up,index finger pointed,head tucked tight against right arm,back and forth,back and forth,Hummer standing guard,oops! Threw BACK OUT! I haven't tried the loop de loop(YET).

I am going to see if I can find your post right now to read the whole storyB :)

Mating dances of the Sandhill Crane rate high for me! No break dancers ever looked that amazing!

But I also love seeing the courtship feeding of Northern Cardinals: it seems so simple and intimate and caring to see a brilliantly red male giving one sunflower seed at a time to his mate, beak to beak.

And I'd love to see the courtship water dance of the Western Grebe sometime!

I have a few but top of my list must be the screaming dive of a Peregrine going in for the kill. Its an awesome spectacle.

Displays behaviour. Well I explained about the Red Kites last week when they seemed to be going in for the talon locking. I have seen many raptors do that including a pair of Golden Eagles on Kefalonia that didn't look like they were going to let go before hitting the ground - they did though - phew!! but it was close.

Not far behind are the Black Grouse Leks and the Ravens tumbling and twisting. G.C Grebes, Goldeneyes, Ruddy Ducks all going through their display routines along with the tumbling Lapwings all conspire to bring pleasure to the birdwatcher. There are many many more, suffice to say that it doesn't take a lot from birds behaviour to bring a smile to my face.

During a recent conversation I was reminded of a spectacular Hobby in pursuit of something at an extremely high speed at Soar in South Devon. I was enthralled by it completely.

Mine was the goshawk flying in fairly low then with a quick jink over the hazel bush and WHUMP strait into a nonchalently flying crow, the hit killed the crow outright. Quick clean and efficient! that is what struck me only one feather came out, and away went the hawk into the trees just a bit further over so to eat in peace, as the land there is off limits to all but landowner. Nina

To me the sight of a Peregrine in full stoop is an awesome sight, on the gentler sight I love watching Swallows skimming across the surface of water on a hot summers day and Barn Owls quatering fields in the mist.

I enjoy the manic spinning top action of Red-necked Phalaropes. Do they spin the other way round when the cross they cross the equator?

Seeing Bee-eaters swoop for aerial prey in Turkey was a real thrill. Is there a more graceful bird on the wing than the Bee-eater?

Harlequins' habit of choosing the most turbulent part of the river leads to some spectatular whitewater rapid riding, as these birds float downstream at breakneck speed. Is there a braver bird?

Am I going to end another paragraph with a question?

Edward

The common swift drinking is one of the tops for me, I love the scream as they fly in then almost effortlessly skim the surface of the water, all at speeds to make a fighter pilot scream!!

And of course the little fake rain dance that whites thrush do!

Ashley

Your Common Swift drinking reminded me of Alpine Swifts when they power dive across the water. You have to see it to appreciate just how different they are to the Common Swift (especialy when there are a few hundred competing for water in a very narrow space - as witnessed in Lesbos once)

THe Talon Clasp of Bald Eagles as they spiral down from the heights. What a sight!
The Tom Turkey "strutting his stuff" for the attention of a few females. A Ritual of wing scrapping, tail fanning, head turning color blue, white, red, "cocky" strut.
The House Wren as he Sings his sweet song checking all the likely nest sites and the sight of him trying to stuff those long twigs into the box.
Seems like which ever one I'm watching is my favorite of the moment! ;o)

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back