• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Question about buying overseas. (1 Viewer)

black crow

Would it be unreasonable if you were buying new from overseas to ask the sellers to look over the binocular to make sure it's a decent sample before sending it out? If they are willing and able that is.

Are there any possible drawbacks to that? I'd like to minimize the chance of getting a bum sample and having to return it.

I have never bought anything this way but if I was tempted to do so I would certainly ask them to do this.

However, if you don't know the level of expertise they have about binos (most companies have some people working for them who have no personal interest in the product they make/sell) I would spell out exactly what you want them to check. For example I would want to ask them to check for free-play in the focuser and because this is called something different in different parts of the world (free-play, back-lash, dead spot etc etc) I would describe it in full such as 'free-play means the focus wheel can be moved to and fro a small amount without making any change in the actual focus of the bino'.
I think you would have to do this in full detail and choose the most simple English words possible to ensure they are understood as you cannot assume that folks overseas will understand everyday English and its colloquialisms.

Lee

This is scotland and they are an authorized Swarovski dealership. The communications I've had with them leads me to think they know binoculars fairly well. Communication is not hampered by a language barrier. They likely know much more than I do. Well let's hope so. What else would you ask about assuming that they know a lot about their products.

Thanks, Today is my birthday so I was thinking about buying myself a swaro porro, just because that rhymes.B :)3:):king::smoke:;)8-P

Last edited:
Happy Birthday BC :t: :t:

I wouldn't ask about anything else as focus free play is the only thing that really annoys me. And much of the other stuff I might fuss over is so personal. I could ask them to make sure that the hinge is not too loose but how do I describe that? And its one thing asking for a supplier to check for faults but another trying to get them to choose a cherry unit. Buying sight unseen is a risk we take as a consumer.

Anyways there is no harm in asking them to reduce your risk by checking over the product for you.

Lee

Happy Birthday BC :t: :t:

I wouldn't ask about anything else as focus free play is the only thing that really annoys me. And much of the other stuff I might fuss over is so personal. I could ask them to make sure that the hinge is not too loose but how do I describe that? And its one thing asking for a supplier to check for faults but another trying to get them to choose a cherry unit. Buying sight unseen is a risk we take as a consumer.

Anyways there is no harm in asking them to reduce your risk by checking over the product for you.

Lee

Yeah I'll give them a story (which is true, I've never spent more than $519 on any binocular) that this is a kind of once in a lifetime purchase for me and I want to make sure I don't have to return a bad sample. If they don't want to I won't complain but it seems to me it would save them the risk of a return also.

Thanks for the kind wishes guys. It's full sun today and upper 70s and I start Medicare as a "gift" from my Govt. Life is a mixed bag for sure. I'm going to hike today and eat Rocky Road ice cream and Pizza this evening at my Sisters with another friend and our 6 dogs.

This is scotland and they are an authorized Swarovski dealership. The communications I've had with them leads me to think they know binoculars fairly well. Communication is not hampered by a language barrier. They likely know much more than I do. Well let's hope so. What else would you ask about assuming that they know a lot about their products.

Thanks, Today is my birthday so I was thinking about buying myself a swaro porro, just because that rhymes.B :)3:):king::smoke:;)8-P

A cautionary note. Keep in mind that Swarovski Optik North America (SONA) is the sole importer and distributor for Swaro products in the USA. They will know by serial number that your product was purchased outside the US, i.e., making it "grey market," and will (probably) not honor SONA's US warranty policy. My guess is you'd have to return the binoculars to Europe for warranty repairs, if the need arises. Since all my Swaro products eventually needed warranty service for one thing or another I would not look forward to that possibility. Of course, it's your choice.

Ed

Last edited:
Well then they are lying to me because they said the US would honor the warranty and that I could confirm through Swarovski that they are a authorized dealership. They sell on Amazon. So I take it you are saying that's not true? Thanks for telling me.

Well then they are lying to me because they said the US would honor the warranty and that I could confirm through Swarovski that they are a authorized dealership. They sell on Amazon. So I take it you are saying that's not true? Thanks for telling me.

BC,

"Bush Wear" is a UK authorized retailer and all Swarovski sales carry the European warranty, which is 30 years.

SONA does offer, for non-USA distributor purchases, an opportunity, if you desire, to receive your optic, ship it to Absam, Austria where their production\services are located, then return the repaired optic back to you. If it is a warranty service, then you only pay shipping to get it to Rode Island, USA...SONA handles the rest of the logistics!

Unless you purchase from the US authorized dealers I mentioned before, then there is no lifetime warranty on your optics. There's just a promise by SONA to assist with the shipping and handling of your optic for service overseas!

Reality Check: Doesn't matter if they have a USA warranty (lifetime) or European Warranty (30 years), believe All Porro Repairs\Service work now has to go to Austria anyway!

Ted

Last edited:
I might be able to live with that...:t:

Agreed!

If I wanted a new Swarovski porro, I wouldn't hesitate in making an overseas "30 year backed" optical purchase myself!! :t: B :)

At "our age" (I'll be there soon enough), 30 more years sounds good to me! :D

Ted

Last edited:

Well, then, it's easy enough to contact SONA and find out: SWAROVSKI OPTIK N.A. Ltd. • 2 Slater Road • Cranston, RI 02920 /
[email protected]

The customer service number used to be 800-426-3089. It may still work.

Let us know what you find out, please. Better safe than sorry. :t:

Ed

A cautionary note. Keep in mind that Swarovski Optic North America (SONA) is the sole importer and distributor for Swaro products in the USA. They will know by serial number that your product was purchased outside the US, i.e., making it "grey market," and will (probably) not honor SONA's US warranty policy. My guess is you'd have to return the binoculars to Europe for warranty repairs, if the need arises. Since all my Swaro products eventually needed warranty service for one thing or another I would not look forward to that possibility. Of course, it's your choice.
I can say this is the same as for at least some camera manufacturers, so wouldn't be unusual if true. My favorite digiscoping camera for a long time was the Nikon Coolpix twist-bodies (950, 995, 4500) and I had to buy the last couple of them grey market. I was told in no uncertain terms that they would not be covered under warranty. I was okay with that, the cameras were nigh indestructible and very reliable.

Not only can the manufacturer tell by the serial number, but sometimes the manufacturer will make minor physical changes for each market. On the old Coolpix, the colored rubber grip was a different color for the USA market.

So I'd be inclined to be careful buying overseas in either direction if you want the warranty. Check very carefully that it's world-wide and not regional.

Elkclub

Absolutely I will do that before buying anything. Thanks again. I want this to go smoothly and with no surprises if I do this.

Agreed!

If I wanted a new Swarovski porro, I wouldn't hesitate in making an overseas "30 year backed" optical purchase myself!! :t: B :)

At "our age" (I'll be there soon enough), 30 more years sounds good to me! :D

Ted

Five or ten is plenty for me.

I can't imagine being 95 but my dad made it to 92 and his sister to 98. No one in my family died before 87 as far back as my living relatives go including great aunts and uncles. You might think that's cool but I find it terrifying. :eek!:

A cautionary note. Keep in mind that Swarovski Optik North America (SONA) is the sole importer and distributor for Swaro products in the USA. They will know by serial number that your product was purchased outside the US, i.e., making it "grey market," and will (probably) not honor SONA's US warranty policy. My guess is you'd have to return the binoculars to Europe for warranty repairs, if the need arises. Since all my Swaro products eventually needed warranty service for one thing or another I would not look forward to that possibility. Of course, it's your choice.

Ed

Bingo!

It might turn out to be not such a good way to save a few dollars.

Not likely with Swarovski, but things happen.

Oh, and Happy Birthday!!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back