• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Emperor Moth Pupa (1 Viewer)

Simmo1111

Hi everyone,

This might be a long shot but I'm hoping that someone may be able to advise.

A few months ago we were given an Emperor Moth pupa by a friend who had bought some for herself. We were hoping that by now it would have emerged (certainly should have) and we intended to take it out to the local moorland to release it. Trouble is it refuses to emerge, to the point that we don't think it's going to. It's almost as if it's 'locked in' and can't get out. I spray it lightly with a mist of water and it's been kept in the porch to get maximum daylight as the days have lengthened. If I move the abdomen and then stop doing so it then wiggles around on its own quite vigorously and is obviously still alive.

It seems a tortuous existence to be trapped like this if it's never going to be able to emerge but at the same time I wouldn't want to dispose of it humanely to put it out of its misery if there's still chance that it might actually emerge in time if left as it is.

Does anyone have any experience regarding this kind of thing please?

Thanks very much.

Dave.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back