Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Birds and Weather - 2018

Old Thursday 11th October 2018, 12:30   #226
peterbrash

My only experience of birding in a hurricane comes from Cape May where it was all about the seabirds. The western side was good as it was windy and dry with a flock of phalaropes, shearwaters, and bridled term the highlights. There was a flock of sooty terns within the eye itself and then the eastern side of the eyewall brought torrential rain and wind. Ten minutes of birding left my Jenoptems beyond repair and I forked out for a pair of ‘real’ Zeiss the next day.

As for ex Hurricane Michael this is the type of system I’d prayed for in my years on St Agnes. Coming up from the Gulf of Mexico and exiting off North Carolina (ish) and whipping straight across. I imagine there’s potential for just about anything to be in there. My prediction is multiple chimney swifts.

From what I’ve observed over the years it’s definitely the area just behind the warm front where the birds are. What I can’t work out is why sometimes the birds arrive on a broad front (American land birds from Hebrides to Ouessant) or sometimes incredibly concentrated, (double yellow warbler, northern waterthrush and solitary sand in a few miles of each other in Eire). Northern waterthrush, solitary sand , Rev and northern oriole on St Mary’s).

For me the sweet spot is just where the warm front and cold front intersects. Tonight’s low looks ideal for Cork/Scilly/Lundy/Pembrokeshire and early this morning the met had weather charts projecting to Monday (now taken down) that showed the fronts from ex Michael to be bang on for Scilly too.

About time someone booted a Connecticut warbler out of a weedy field edge.
Old Thursday 11th October 2018, 13:31   #227
Phil Andrews
It's only Rock and Roller but I like it

Latest projection shows Michael a little further south - missing Ireland and slamming straight into Scilly and Cornwall
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	115415_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	676979  
Old Thursday 11th October 2018, 13:42   #228
Captain_of_Crunch
YVdpep_re64

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbrash View Post
My only experience of birding in a hurricane comes from Cape May where it was all about the seabirds. The western side was good as it was windy and dry with a flock of phalaropes, shearwaters, and bridled term the highlights. There was a flock of sooty terns within the eye itself and then the eastern side of the eyewall brought torrential rain and wind. Ten minutes of birding left my Jenoptems beyond repair and I forked out for a pair of ‘real’ Zeiss the next day.

As for ex Hurricane Michael this is the type of system I’d prayed for in my years on St Agnes. Coming up from the Gulf of Mexico and exiting off North Carolina (ish) and whipping straight across. I imagine there’s potential for just about anything to be in there. My prediction is multiple chimney swifts.

From what I’ve observed over the years it’s definitely the area just behind the warm front where the birds are. What I can’t work out is why sometimes the birds arrive on a broad front (American land birds from Hebrides to Ouessant) or sometimes incredibly concentrated, (double yellow warbler, northern waterthrush and solitary sand in a few miles of each other in Eire). Northern waterthrush, solitary sand , Rev and northern oriole on St Mary’s).

For me the sweet spot is just where the warm front and cold front intersects. Tonight’s low looks ideal for Cork/Scilly/Lundy/Pembrokeshire and early this morning the met had weather charts projecting to Monday (now taken down) that showed the fronts from ex Michael to be bang on for Scilly too.

About time someone booted a Connecticut warbler out of a weedy field edge.
Really interesting info, thanks

Will be keeping an eye on the charts as to whether Scilly or Cape Clear look the better options.
Old Thursday 11th October 2018, 15:34   #229
opisska
Jan Ebr

Pembroke looks to be much rainier though, how do you even see birds in heavy rain? :) Also the winds will be rather southerly, won't the birds stop in Cornwall? I am still inclined to Cornwall, but if experts think Pembroke is better, it's even a little closer from Luton :) Thank again for all the info!!
Old Thursday 11th October 2018, 15:47   #230
Captain_of_Crunch
YVdpep_re64

The 12z weather model now includes the UK Met Office fax chart for Monday lunch time. It predicts occluded front of Michael moving over SW Ireland with warm front off SW Cornwall and NW Iberia. 120 hours is still way to early for certainty on this though.

Fax chart link: https://www.netweather.tv/charts-and-data/fax
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181010.2301.PPVO89.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	676997  
Old Thursday 11th October 2018, 15:49   #231
melodious

Looks like it's going to be exciting, Jan, can't really see you not coming up with a few things on your wish list!
Old Thursday 11th October 2018, 16:07   #232
Zoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by opisska View Post
Pembroke looks to be much rainier though, how do you even see birds in heavy rain? :) Also the winds will be rather southerly, won't the birds stop in Cornwall? I am still inclined to Cornwall, but if experts think Pembroke is better, it's even a little closer from Luton :) Thank again for all the info!!
Accurately predicting where American passerines will arrive is extremely difficult; as Pete said they can arrive on a broad front or in a concentrated area. Observer coverage is also a factor. I'd stick with SW Cornwall, it has a long standing records of great birds and is much better watched.
Old Thursday 11th October 2018, 17:14   #233
peterbrash

Quote:
Definitely head to Cornwall, much more chance of success. The valleys around St Just are always worth a look. I hope your American landbird dreams come true!
Old Thursday 11th October 2018, 17:56   #234
opisska
Jan Ebr

Cornwall it is, thanks!
Old Thursday 11th October 2018, 19:54   #235
Gastronaut

Quote:
Cornwall it is, thanks!
Just so we can recognise you, will you be wearing the hat while you're here?
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 07:01   #236
John Watson

And you'll wear the face mask ?

The exact route of the ex-Hurricane is hard to predict once it's started interacting with European weather systems, but it will be somewhat fierce. More obvious in a day or so. Cornwall, SW Ireland & NW France should be good, though

Of interest, Madeira is to experience its first ever tropical storm in a few days
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 08:30   #237
Gastronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Watson View Post
And you'll wear the face mask ?

The exact route of the ex-Hurricane is hard to predict once it's started interacting with European weather systems, but it will be somewhat fierce. More obvious in a day or so. Cornwall, SW Ireland & NW France should be good, though

Of interest, Madeira is to experience its first ever tropical storm in a few days
It's a fine hat.

Surface pressure charts on Met Office site today seem to show "Michael" fizzling out against blocking high pressure.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen shot 2018-10-12 at 09.35.11.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	677021  

Last edited by Gastronaut : Friday 12th October 2018 at 08:40.
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 08:44   #238
Jonathan Williams

Could be worth a look off porthgwarra today as a prob brown booby has been seen off ouessant this morning.
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 11:22   #239
lewis20126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gastronaut View Post
It's a fine hat.

Surface pressure charts on Met Office site today seem to show "Michael" fizzling out against blocking high pressure.
Usual shambolic predictions - the predictions of tracks of lows seems to be really poor - do they use any element of machine learning on the huge existing data sets?

cheers, alan
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 12:27   #240
opisska
Jan Ebr

Just emerged from the no-coverage death zone around Porthgwarra. Saw some Balearics, met birders complaining that the wind is too southerly and that it is awfully quiet there.

edit: the Manx has been downgraded to Balearic upon reexamination of photos. Balearic Shearwaters are terribly variable!

Last edited by opisska : Friday 12th October 2018 at 18:31.
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 12:53   #241
Captain_of_Crunch
YVdpep_re64

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewis20126 View Post
Usual shambolic predictions - the predictions of tracks of lows seems to be really poor - do they use any element of machine learning on the huge existing data sets?

cheers, alan
One thing to remember is that what you are seeing on the charts is based on a particular weather model 'run'. Depending on the model (and there are a number of them), these are run 2-4 times every day with the results published a few hours after that.

The commonest model that you see used on weather sites are GFS, ARPEGE, ICON, UKMO and ECM. It is best to look at a number of them to see if they broadly agree or if there are some disagreement (can be significant at times). Anything in the 0 to 72 hour range has pretty good accuracy, and anything beyond >120 hours should be taken with a very large pinch of salt though interesting from a broader outlook point of view.

The results and models are continuously reviewed by the pro meteorologists, and the models are frequently updated to improve accuracy. However, storms such as ex-Hurricane Michael are very dynamic and subtle changes in wind direction, wind shear etc can affect intensity/track so they are difficult to forecast.

Last edited by Captain_of_Crunch : Friday 12th October 2018 at 12:55.
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 13:25   #242
KenM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_of_Crunch View Post

The results and models are continuously reviewed by the pro meteorologists, and the models are frequently updated to improve accuracy. However, storms such as ex-Hurricane Michael are very dynamic and subtle changes in wind direction, wind shear etc can affect intensity/track so they are difficult to forecast.
......Michael Fish thought otherwise.
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 13:30   #243
Phil Andrews
It's only Rock and Roller but I like it

Michael now predicted to end into the Bay of Biscay
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 13:44   #244
edenwatcher

Michael Fish? I'm getting confused...

Rob

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 12th October 2018, 13:48   #245
Andrew Whitehouse
Professor of Listening
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by edenwatcher View Post
Michael Fish? I'm getting confused...

Rob
Don't worry. Hurricane Michael Fish isn't on the way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnxjZ-aFkjs

Listening to Birds

BF Supporter 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Friday 12th October 2018, 13:56   #246
lewis20126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_of_Crunch View Post
O
The results and models are continuously reviewed by the pro meteorologists, and the models are frequently updated to improve accuracy.
That's my point really - too many humans involved, you need machines to generate the model inputs

cheers, a
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 14:17   #247
Paul Longland

this time last year the tail end of the hurricanes brought an unprecedented fall of firecrests to the south west. Hopefully could see something similar this time round
Old Friday 12th October 2018, 14:48   #248
dantheman
Bah humbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Longland View Post
this time last year the tail end of the hurricanes brought an unprecedented fall of firecrests to the south west. Hopefully could see something similar this time round
Similar? Goldcrests? ... or are you thinking Golden-crowned Kinglets perhaps??
Old Saturday 13th October 2018, 00:37   #249
Julian Thomas

'Firecrest Day' on Portland last year was a wonderful thing to behold. More pertinently, a fall from the south in mid October 1996 brought not only a pile of Firecrests to Portland, but also the Northern Waterthrush.
Old Saturday 13th October 2018, 00:47   #250
Julian Thomas

As others have noted, from latest Magic Seaweed charts looks like Hurricane Michael might just manage to dump something on Cape Clear or Mizen before dying away to the south-east and hitting NW Iberia. Succession of systems following after that but tracking further north - Hebs?
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: