• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Essex Kingfishers (1 Viewer)

Early this morning a Kingfisher and Common Tern on Langdon Lake.
Then this evening a Kingfisher on the main lake, Warren Fishery. Approx 250 Starlings over Thurrock Thames NR.
A few House Martins and Swallows.
Great!

Last edited:
Even more Starlings over Thurrock Thames NR this evening.
Definitely twice as many as yesterday.
Some stopping on the visitor centre. A dog walker said it was a murmuration.
Kingfisher on the main lake. It took a dip in the water from a perch nearby.
Not sure if a nest is nearby.
The Swallows by the sluice and low over the ground.
Great!

Pair of Kingfisher this evening on Warren fishery.
They were calling loudly and one was hovering moving perch.
Not so many Starlings.
Two Egyptian Geese constantly chattering to each other.
Swallow low over the ground.
Great!

It's been a busy and wet week! Lol!
Finally got out this evening.
As soon as I got to the main lake at Standford Warren fishery, I could hear the familiar two tone call and it sounded like a pair.
Heard it a couple times and then saw one Kingfisher head off down the lake and another up the lake.
Great!

Kingfishers this evening at Stanford Warren Fishery & on the creek. Not seen one there for sometime. A Kestrel flew over as well. Great!

My first juvenile Kingfisher on the main lake Stanford Warren Fishery with it's parent!
Then one flew along the creek. Sparrowhawk, GWP, Buzzard, Hare and a few Swallows on the NR.
Great!

Quiet this evening with one Kingfisher on Warren Fishery but it was great as I ran up over Thurrock Thameside NR a few hundred Starlings took off and flew over my head. They were roosting among the bushes and there was a raptor in the distance after them. Great!

The usual Kingfisher at Warren Fishery.
A Kestrel flew over Stanford Warren yesterday and there were a few hundred Starlings flocking together.
This evening a GWP, Jay and a few Swallows.
At Langdon lake I could see the small fish come to the surface. Pretty good for a Kingfisher.
Great!

Yesterday, it was getting quiet down Warren Fishery as the Kingfisher does not hang around the nest anymore.
So I looked around the lakes and there was the Kingfisher on a shielded part of the lake by some reeds happy fishing away.
Today we saw the Kingfisher on the brook leading to the lake at the back of Basildon Festival Leisure park.
The brook had the most and largest minnows I have seen in any brook anywhere. I was amazed. And the water was shallow, easy pickings for a KF.
This evening the Kingfisher was all over Warren Fishery calling/tutting away. In a chase I assume.
One of the dog walkers told me he saw a Marsh Harrier, then a Sparrow Hawk flew over. Then a Kingfisher flew back up the creek from the Thames.
House Martins over the fishing lake.
Great!

I decided to check somewhere different and went to the Ingrebourne NR. I was determined to find a Kingfisher. I tried the regular footbridge but got bitten by insects so moved on. Good job I had some tablets in the car! Then I was rewarded with the Kingfisher coming round the bend just down from the Visitor centre and not far from the foot bridge. I'd have to check how many years I've spotted them here. More than a few years I expect. Great!

Two Kingfisher went speeding past last Thursday at Warren Fishery.
Reports of a Barn Owl over the houses at the weekend and a Marsh Harrier on the reserve.
The Kingfisher was on a protected, calm part of the main fishing lake this evening.
A flock of about 40 plus Goldfinches and then another Kingfisher along the creek by Thurrock Thames NR.
Great!

A pair of Kingfisher chasing on the Warren fishery lake.
Approx 40 House Martins feeding, the same number of Starlings and several Goldfinch.
Great!

Warren Stanford this evening the House Martins were still overhead feeding.
A couple of Moorhens/Coots looked like they were settling down to roost.
I could hear the Kingfisher calling in the distance, then I could hear it getting closer.
Finally it flew in from across the lake and landed in the tree in front of me maybe to roost as well.
Earlier I'd seen a Kestrel and on the way back I saw another.
Great!

Something different - a female Wheatear.
Two evenings in a row as I run up the track to the Thurrock Thames NR visitor centre.
Yesterday a Kestrel, this evening a bigger Sparrowhawk after the GWPs, Starlings and Sparrows in the hedge.
Both evenings a Kingfisher on the main Warren Fishery lake.
This evening a Kingfisher calling from the Wharf lake.
Both evenings several House Martins overhead.
Great!

Thurrock Thames NR - A Short-Eared Owl, we could see it in the distance. Yesterday there were two. A couple GWP. A couple Little Egrets. I was still amazed by the Owl after my run and then a Kestrel. And then to top it off a Kingfisher on the dam wall on the Thames side. I don't think I have seen one there before.
And this was after I'd already seen one Kingfisher and heard another on Warren Fishery. Due to the activity I think they have another nest. Great!

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back