• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Ringing in Essex (1 Viewer)

Steve_Halstead

Sparrow or Crow?
I was talking today to Andrew Thompson who was describing how to become a bird ringer.

My question is, where would I start to contact someone if I was interested in shadowing someone and what have you.

Many thanks

BB

There is significant commitment to ringing and shouldn't be undertaken lightly. It's not an add on to birding as much of the time it will replace birding though it does have rewards of its own.

Also sometimes the trainers are not able to train more than 2 people at a time, I record nests for the BTO, Nest Record Scheme, NRS, and it would be the next step for me, however its been very hard to try and find someone to train me has our local trainer is not taking anybody else on at the moment.

Damian

From a quick look there are only two trainers in Essex right now. One on the border at E Bergholt & the other near Bishop Stortford. When I first looked into ringing 6 years ago, there was only one. s

I found many more ringers when I moved to Suffolk and was lucky enough to be taken on board by a group who ring near me. There are 5-6 willing to take on trainees in Suffolk including one person who I train with who is part of our group & already has 1 other trainee. We have two trainers in our group, as well as 2 A permit holders, and you can also be supervised by A permit holders within a larger group.

See a map to find trainers in your area:

http://blx1.bto.org/ringingTrainers/ringing-trainers.jsp?ref=TM34

I started off many years ago observing and helping in Japan. When I came back to the UK I attended a course for beginners run by the BTO at the Field Studies Centre at Flatford. A bit pricey, but a great introduction & well worth it. See courses here:

http://www.bto.org/volunteer-surveys/ringing/taking-part/training-courses

It can be hard work erecting nets, lane-clearing and carrying equipment, as well as early mornings, but what you can learn in terms of the birds themselves, the skill of extraction and potentially adding a little to everyone's knowledge on birds makes it worthwhile.

Depending on how much free time and money you have, it can take a long time to achieve your 'C' permit.

Sean

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back