• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ring-necked Parakeets in Essex (1 Viewer)

Mike Richardson

Formerly known as Skink1978
I will be in South Essex (Thurrock) for a couple of days next week and was wondering if there are any reliable sites for Ring-necked Parakeets. I know of a number of sites in London but would prefer to stay east of the city and avoid the congestion charge. Thanks

I live in near Southend and have not heard of any sites for Ring-necked Parakeet any nearer than the London Wetlands Centre at Barnes in south-west London

A couple of birds are very erratically seen around Rainham RSPB and the surrounding area, but basically they have colonised this side of the city yet. Best bet is to head west if you want to be sure of seeing them.

Thanks guys. I suspected as much. I've seen isolated reports of RNP in Essex on feeders at various reserves but not heard of any populations as such. Guess its only a matter of time. Cheers.

If you are ever in my neck of the woods keep your eyes and ears open 'cause we've got loads of them and I love 'em.

Mick

There are regular sightings in the ingrebourne valley(which is the border beetween hornchurch & upminster,and is accessible into hornchurch country park)
I also go to a place called berwick ponds,some people may be familiar with this as bittern have been recorded quite frequently there over the last few years.
In the summer evenings parakeets are always around this area.

If you travel around the M25 or the North Circular you wont get charged(congestion wise)

Best place for RN Parakeets is West London...Barnes and west...Isleworth --they fly over my house several times a day and I rarely go any distance without a small flock overhead...they are so noisy you cant miss them!

Any small park - or anywhere with trees or a bird feeder!
So its not too far if you are really keen to see them.

Thanks for the new info guys. My other half is from South Essex so I'm often in the area. On my next visit I will have put a bit of effort into finally finding a RNP.

Best bet would be Foots Cray Meadows near Sidcup, Kent. Was there with my wife couple of weeks ago (visiting the in-laws) and we had stonking views before we even got out of the car of birds down to 20 feet or so.

Biirds are totally unfazed by the many walkers and dogs that are around the meadows so a really reliable site.

Plus no congestion charge.

Best bet would be Foots Cray Meadows near Sidcup, Kent. Was there with my wife couple of weeks ago (visiting the in-laws) and we had stonking views before we even got out of the car of birds down to 20 feet or so.

Biirds are totally unfazed by the many walkers and dogs that are around the meadows so a really reliable site.

Plus no congestion charge.

Cheers Karl. No doubt I will be in Essex again before long, so a trip into Kent for RNP sounds like a plan.

Your best bet is Walton On Thames its a known place for them in peoples gardens and also over the local parks and greens. This is surrey and as such it has no congestion charge and also has the added attraction of the river and some very nice pubs :)

Your best bet is Walton On Thames its a known place for them in peoples gardens and also over the local parks and greens. This is surrey and as such it has no congestion charge and also has the added attraction of the river and some very nice pubs :)

Thanks Nick. With all these sites I should get RNP before long. Good pubs never a bad thing.

On the Essexbirders yahoo group 24 RNP's were reported this week from Cranham Marsh, Upminster.

Thanks Xenospiza. Somehow I managed to miss your post. Upminster is just down the road to my In laws so will probably be my first port of call. Noticed that RNP are reported at Rainham Marshes more these days also.

Cheers Karl. No doubt I will be in Essex again before long, so a trip into Kent for RNP sounds like a plan.

Kelsey Park in Beckenham has loads and they congregate from miles around in Hither Green cemetery towards dusk when there are hundreds of them.

If you are lucky you will get the blue crowned as well

There has been one solitary example. In Valentines park, Ilford. For about a year now. Very vociferous. And appears to enjoy annoyng the gulls on the lake. I also saw a flock of about 20, recently. in Eltham. S.E London. probably part of the same flock, already mentioned.

Last edited:
I live in near Southend and have not heard of any sites for Ring-necked Parakeet any nearer than the London Wetlands Centre at Barnes in south-west London

Apparently there are Parakeets on the Isle of Sheppey and certainly in Sittingbourne which isn't far as, in this case, the Parakeet flies.

Regards

Apparently there are Parakeets on the Isle of Sheppey and certainly in Sittingbourne which isn't far as, in this case, the Parakeet flies.

Regards

Plenty in south west Herts ie stockers lake which would also guarantee red crested pochard . Can,t go anywhere locally without seeing or hearing them and close to M25

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back