• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Aged or ill Bald Eagle? (1 Viewer)

rrybicki

Innocent bystander
United States
Hi All,

Forgive me if this is a silly question, or in the wrong forum, but I am kind of new at this. Below are a couple of pictures of a bald eagle that I photographed in Marblehead Ohio (south shore of Lake Erie) this weekend. I was amazed at the condition of the bird, it looked all shabby and disheveled, although it seemed to behave normally.

Is this a very old bird, or one this is sick? Or maybe it is just having a bad feather day?

I'd be interested in any comments by the more experienced members here.

Thanks in advance,

Russ

Attachments

• BE-2 050118 - Copy.jpg
    BE-2 050118 - Copy.jpg
    288.2 KB · Views: 46
  • BE-3 050118 - Copy.jpg
    BE-3 050118 - Copy.jpg
    559.2 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
It’s not old but young. Bald Eagles take 3 or 4 years to attain the clean white-and-dark brown “adult” plumage.

Thanks very much! We certainly see a lot of them, but not usually up so close. Glad to hear this one will be around for a while.

Russ

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back