• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

West Donegal (1 Viewer)

It will soon be Corncrake time. Here is one I prepared earlier

Attachments

• Corncrake-web1.jpg
    Corncrake-web1.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 213
Magheragallon today, 20+ Brent on the beach, a few gulls and not much else of note. Did not get the chance to explore further.

I've heard John Cromie mention that there's an isolated population west of Dungloe. The only area's I've seen them in Donegal is around Inch Island and Levels and near Blanket Nook (Tree Sparrow in same area and in the same boat as Yellowhammer, apart from Tory of course). A very scarce bird here now unfortunately. Away from those area's arable farming seems very uncommon here which is probably the reason why they are in such bother. Thankfully still common back in my own native Offaly but for how long I wonder.

Dermot

My Parents occasionally see Yellowhammer on their farm between Kilmacrennan and Ramelton. My mother saw one below bird feeder earlier in week.

Hi Everyone,
Have you seen any of the Golden Eagles recently? I saw a couple last year but none in recent months.
Richard

Saturday, Large flock of Brent still at Maghergallon, 60+ birds.

Wheatear all over the place in good numbers. Skylark, meadowpipit.

Bunbeg today, 3 - 4 Chough, Willow Warbler, Bullfinch pair, Goldfinch, Wren, Chaffinch, Robin, Blackbird. Terns over the sea, not sure whether Arctic or Sandwich, too far out.

No sign of Cuckoo yet.

Wheatear

Here is a photo of a Wheatear Maghergallon, Derrybeg 19/04/08

Attachments

• Wheatear-web.jpg
    Wheatear-web.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 164
No sign of the Brent at Maghergallon today. Must have began their journey north for the summer. A few Sandwich Tern about, also Oystercatcher, but not a lot else.

Maghergallon Saturday 3rd May. Flock of Whimbrel, counted 40+ on the golf course feeding.
Lots of Wheatear and a few Swallow.

Small numbers of Sandwich Terns close to the shore.

2 Chough on the headland behind the golf course and probable sightings of several more in the distance over the sand dunes.

Tory next Saturday so hoping for good weather

Richard

Last edited:
Forgot to mention, we had a beautiful hare in the garden. Sat beside a hedge not 20 feet from the house. Then ran off down the field.

A bit more like South Donegal, saw a Cuckoo on phone lines at Barnesmore Gap nr Ballobofey. Was driving to work and did not take time to stop.

Tory next Saturday so hoping for good weather

Richard

Richard

H and I have a week in Donegal in early June and we particularly want to visit Tory Island. Can you please let me know any information you have on getting over to the island and getting around once there.

Best of luck with your visit tomorrow,

Very many thanks.

Hi Patrick,
You get the ferry from Bunbeg harbour 9.30am. It's worth checking with the ferry company when the Magheroarty trip starts. www.toryislandferry.com.

Getting around on Tory is easily done on foot. Turn left at village and walk down road towards Lake for terns and various wildfowl. Good chance of Corncrake around the village back gardens and in grass area to rear of village. Don't forget the shoreline behind the harbour wall. This is a good spot for waders and possibly Chough feeding about the seaweed.

The cliffs at the other side of the island are good for Puffins, Guillemots, Razorbills. All easily accessible on foot. Climb up the hill for good views of the whole island. Choughs can usually be seen in this area too.

Richard

Last edited:
Hi Patrick,
We are going this Saturday instead. hoping for good views of Corncrake. If you need any further info please let me know.

Richard

Bunbeg Cuckoo

At last, the Cuckoo has returned to its usual patch at Bunbeg. Saw it sitting singing on the electricity wires both this morning and yesterday morning.

Tory Island

Spent Saturday on Tory and a good day's birding it was too.

Saw 3 - 4 Corncrake and heard others calling. Common Tern and Little Tern, Chough, Razorbill, Puffin, Manx Shearwater, Gannet. Had 55 species for the day. Will post the full list soon.

Poor day for bird photography, no willing birds prepared to pose for my camera! This is what makes bird photography so good, the thrill of the chase.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back