• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meinertzhagen and ernesti (1 Viewer)

I discovered that the BTO had a copy of Nicoll's 'Bird's of Egypt' in worn condition and arranged to view it. It was donated to the BTO in 1947!

I had time to browse through both volumes and to concentrate on wheatears of interest. The brief entry on Oenanthe lugens ernesti is in the last of these 9 images (in 2 posts). The first 3 images are of general interest.
MJB

Attachments

• 01 Nicoll Front endpaper.jpg
    01 Nicoll Front endpaper.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 02 Nicoll Title Page.jpg
    02 Nicoll Title Page.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 03 Nicoll Geology Map.jpg
    03 Nicoll Geology Map.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 11
  • 04 Nicoll O lugens lugens.JPG
    04 Nicoll O lugens lugens.JPG
    358.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 05 Nicoll O l lugens & O l persica.jpg
    05 Nicoll O l lugens & O l persica.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 16
The last 4 images:

Attachments

• 06 Nicoll O l persica & O l halophila.jpg
    06 Nicoll O l persica & O l halophila.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 07 Nicoll O l syenitica & O leucopyga leucopyga.JPG
    07 Nicoll O l syenitica & O leucopyga leucopyga.JPG
    312.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 08 Nicoll O leucopuga leucopyga.JPG
    08 Nicoll O leucopuga leucopyga.JPG
    331.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 09 Nicoll O leucopyga leucopyga  & O leucopyga ernesti.JPG
    09 Nicoll O leucopyga leucopyga & O leucopyga ernesti.JPG
    272.3 KB · Views: 18
Ernest Henry Saunders was born in July 1865 in Bloomsbury, London to John and Emma Saunders. Census records indicate that his father John was indeed an attendant at the British Museum. Whilst there is evidence that he did spend a considerable amount of time in Australia and in Kenya, he was back in England by the 1911 census living in Mortlake, Surrey. He was working as a commercial traveller and living with his English born wife Sarah Ida (nee Emmett) and his widowed mother. I believe he died in 1943. There is no confusion - having looked back several generations there is no genealogical link between Howard Saunders and Ernest Henry Saunders.

And according The Eponym Dictionary of Birds:

Pinarochroa sordida ernesti Sharpe, 1900 Ernest H. Saunders (DNF) was working for the Australian Museum in Sydney, collecting on Lord Howe Island (1887). He was a collector and taxidermist on the Mackinder (q.v.) expedition to Mount Kenya (1899).

Any news if he really died 1943? Any idea why we can find in Wikipedia here:

In 1895, he was one of the founders of the London School of Economics. At Oxford, Mackinder was the driving force behind the creation of a School of Geography in 1899. In the same year, he led an expedition of the first Europeans to climb Mount Kenya. It was during this expedition that eight of his African porters were killed; it is disputed as to who killed them, as both Mackinder and another man, Edward Saunders were recorded issuing death threats.

Are this different persons?

Last edited:
Mark, and this one says: "circa 1873", "Birthplace: Roydon, Norfolk, England" ... ;)

I would stick with "1872" (until a date is found).

The "famous naturalist" (!) Ernest Hose is also mentioned; here, here, here, here and elsewhere (simply search for: "Ernest Hose" + "Sarawak" or "Borneo"). He´s all over. No (reliable/safe) Death year found.

Mark, I´m Sorry I cannot help more on this one (Mr Hose is not one of "my guys"), running short of time.

He´s all yours.

/B
--

Hose's Broadbill, one of the toughest birds to see in Borneo.

Name: Ernest Hose
Birth: 10 Sept 1872
Baptism Date: 29 Sep 1872
Baptism Place: Roydon (near Diss), Norfolk, England
Father: Thomas Charles Hose (Rector)
Mother: Fanny
FHL Film Number: 2147145

Name: Ernest Hose
Death Age: 95
Birth Date: abt 1873
Death Date : 13 Apr 1968
Oneacre Roydon, Norfolk, England
Burial Date: 18 Apr 1968

Ernest Henry Saunders died 5 Sept 1944 (see attached).

Attachments

• Henry.JPG
    Henry.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Hose's Broadbill, one of the toughest birds to see in Borneo.
Andy, regardless of how tough it is to spot, or not ...

In my MS (and notes) Hose's Broadbill Calyptomena hosii SHARPE 1892, OD here, a k a Hose's Green ditto alt. Magificent Broadbill (or blåbröstad brednäbb, in Swedish, in line with its other alternate English name Blue-bellied Broadbill), commemorates the British Colonial officer Charles Hose (1863–1929), naturalist, collector, cartographer, author, etnographer, etc., etc.

Not to confuse with his Brother (according to the Richmond card, here), the guy we've been dealing with in this certain thread; "Mr. Ernest Hose", commemorated in "Falco peregrinus ernesti" SHARPE 1894 (here) as "Falco ernesti".

/B
--

Last edited:
That all makes sense

Charles Hose
1863–1929
BIRTH 12 OCT 1863 • Willian, North Hertfordshire District, Hertfordshire, England
DEATH 14 NOVEMBER 1929 • Nursing home, Purley Oaks, Surrey, England

Father: Thomas Charles Hose (Rector)
Mother: Fanny

Brother Ernest etc...

Nice early photo attached

Attachments

• hose.JPG
    hose.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 4
Andy, regardless of how tough it is to spot, or not ...

In my MS (and notes) Hose's Broadbill Calyptomena hosii SHARPE 1892, OD here, a k a Hose's Green ditto alt. Magificent Broadbill (or blåbröstad brednäbb, in Swedish, in line with its other alternate English name Blue-bellied Broadbill), commemorates the British Colonial officer Charles Hose (1863–1929), naturalist, collector, cartographer, author, etnographer, etc., etc.

Not to confuse with his Brother (according to the Richmond card, here), the guy we've been dealing with in this certain thread; "Mr. Ernest Hose", commemorated in "Falco peregrinus ernesti" SHARPE 1894 (here) as "Falco ernesti".

/B
--

Apologies.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back