• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon 100-400is (1 Viewer)

LeeDavis

Lee Davis Wildlife Photography
Hi all,

Please can someone tell me if they have one of these lenses if they have dust inside of the main elements. if so thats ok, if not mine is faulty (Great!)

thanks Lee

I have a few small specks of dust in mine, it does not impair its performance. As the lens zoom action acts like a bicycle tyre pump, it is not surprising that it gets dust in it. You would be surprised at just how much crap you can have on a lens before it causes noticable effect on the image, just look at a mirror lens with a reflecting element smack in the middle of it!!!!

LeeDavis said:
Hi all,

Please can someone tell me if they have one of these lenses if they have dust inside of the main elements. if so thats ok, if not mine is faulty (Great!)

thanks Lee

Dust is a common phenomena with these push-pull style zooms. Canon do a 'fixed price' service that may be worth it if your unit gets too rough. I find it is very much dependent both on the environment you use the zoom in (think, it has to suck air in from somewhere ...) and also the bag or whatever you keep it in.

My favorite zoom still.

--
Peter

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back