• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

jenni & winkler (1 Viewer)

Deb Burhinus

Used to be well known! ๐Ÿ˜Ž
Europe
I understand that Molt and Aging in European Passerines is available as an ebook but I canโ€™t find it online - can anyone provide a link please? (or even have a hard copy 1994 ed for sale!!)

Thanks

Thanks Jape for your emails!

no worries. the site with the copy is a russian scholars site with many hundreds of books, zoological, paleantology, aves and more if anyone is interested - and copyright may be suspect so i didn't post it here as i am not sure of legality. they are black and white .pdf which limits the usability.

That's going to annoy the dealers who charge so much for them now :t:

A

It depends! The colour plates of the 2011 edition paled in quality to the 1994 ed. If the 2020 repeats the same mass print run ... the e version is from the 2011 ed. Not so good if you are trying to compare different moult generations on the wing of a small passerine. People (including myself, will still be after the original) but the e version is a very welcome addition to the ipad right now (thanks to the BF member who gave me the pdf link!)

Last edited:
It depends! The colour plates of the 2011 edition paled in quality to the 1994 ed. If the 2020 repeats the same mass print run ... the e version is from the 2011 ed. Not so good if you are trying to compare different moult generations on the wing of a small passerine. People (including myself, will still be after the original) but the e version is a very welcome addition to the ipad right now (thanks to the BF member who gave me the pdf link!)

I really don't know what the printers are up to when they do this. I know it's profit obviously and that's alright for the printed word but when a book such as this which, sinks or floats, depending to a great degree on the artwork, why would they risk the quality?

Perhaps Jim can enlighten us?

A

We're almost at first-proofs stage. ...

The publication date for the brand-new second edition of Jenni and Winkler's masterpiece Moult and Ageing of European Passerines โ€“ 6th of February 2020.

We're almost at first-proofs stage. ...

The publication date for the brand-new second edition of Jenni and Winkler's masterpiece Moult and Ageing of European Passerines โ€“ 6th of February 2020.

Given the reported shortcomings of the 2011 version in comparison to the original, I think people were hoping for some assurances over quality?

Last edited:
Given the reported shortcomings of the 2011 version in comparison to the original, I think people were hoping for some assurances over quality?

There should be no problems, it's a completely redone second edition. Now treats apparently 74 species according to a mail received from the Schweizerische Vogelwarte (Swiss Bird Station), where Jenni is still working.

https://www.vogelwarte.ch/de/shop/fachpublikationen/moult-and-ageing-of-european-passerines

It will be available from 9 January 2020.

It will be available from 9 January 2020.[/QUOTE]

Correct. I was able to bring the publication date forward a month. So on sale from 9th January.

Jim

I was able to bring the publication date forward a month. So on sale from 9th January.

Jim

Good luck with the release Jim

Fortunately I managed to get hold of a very good condition original 1994 ed some time back but will be interested to see how the plates of the new ed compare to the 2011 ed.

and also which are the extra species covered!

Good luck with the release Jim

Fortunately I managed to get hold of a very good condition original 1994 ed some time back but will be interested to see how the plates of the new ed compare to the 2011 ed.

and also which are the extra species covered!

Wildsounds has this title as available from 16th Dec (tomorrow), doesn't say what the new species are, only that there are sixteen of them.

Best price I can see anywhere,............

http://www.wildsounds.com/cgi-bin/lo...=9781472941510

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back