• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to remove Manfrotto 128 RC tripod head (1 Viewer)

Yeah, I couldn´t be bothered taking it off every time I move on. Here are some photos of my solution, just in case anyone has the same problem, i.e. a Tripod Head that won´t come off the tripod (you just drill the hole, insert the bit, and whack it a few times; you can see where the panning-handle broke off on the first attempt):

My panning handle snapped at the very same point about a year ago. The cause in my case (I think) was prolonged small movements against the clamps when digiscoping.

I kept the bits, Araldited a short piece of hazel stick into the inside of the joint and for good measure sleeved the whole lot with a piece of copper plumbing pipe.

I bought a 701 head at about the same time as this so the repair's never been put to the test, but I reckon it's a good'un. (photo taken ten minutes ago)

Attachments

• P1010996 copy.jpg
    P1010996 copy.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:
Glad you got it off. I had the same problem trying to get a ball head off that had been on my Bogen 3221 legs since 1991. When I called Manfrotto to inquire about a new center column they said parts were no longer available available but offered me a substantial trade in on a new tripod. When all else failed I resorted to BFFI and was finally able to remove it.

Alan...neat solution! Looks fine!

Stbear....glad it worked out. What does BFFI mean? Brute Force of some sort, I assume....?

I've only just picked up on this thread, but here's a tip that nobody has mentioned. Put the tripod in the freezer (easy if it's a chest one, tricky otherwise) for a couple of hours, then pour a kettle of boiling water over it. Repeat several times. Then hit it with the lump hammer. The theory is that since each part is made of a different material they will expand and contract at different rates and so move relative to each other.

Pete

Gid'day from Canada

I had the same problem, I just had to read through... The freezer did NOT work. I got my drill, and make a hole, put a bolt in it tap it with a hammer and PRESTO! I the old head is free!

Thanks

steve

Last edited:
Gid'day from Canada

I had the same problem, I just had to read through... The freezer did NOT work. I got my drill, and make a hole, put a bolt in it tap it with a hammer and PRESTO! I the old head is free!

Thanks

steve

Congratulations Steve. But just wanted to note for others reading that they may want to try a pipe wrench (big enough to fit the entire head at the point where it interfaces with the tripod) before going to the drilling extreme (as Tero suggested above). I found an inexpensive one for $14 and it worked like a charm for my stuck head.

Best,
Jim

Last edited:
Gid'day from Canada

Thanks

steve
Congratulations Steve!:t: (The drilling and hammering is fun in a perverse kind of way, no? At least for me....I normally hate DIY.)

This info might be to late but.....

There are in fact two silver plates. This is the bottom of a head, and a big screw from the base goes into it. The three screws only prevent the two plates from moving apart once attached.

You need to take a plumber's wrench and turn one of the silver plates. You can take the three screws completely out before that.

Hi Everyone
This may be too late for Sancho but it might help others.
I was just Googling around for a solution to this self same problem and by putting all the ideas together and some images from the Manfrotto site I managed to get my head off ( so to speak)

Step 1
Take the plastic horizontal pan lock nut off completely. Its threaded screw has a slot at the top, maybe hidden under some grease. Find a suitable sized screwdriver and unscrew it anti-clockwise.

Step 2
The pan head now separates from the pan base (grey plastic disk). As per spare parts image http://www.manfrotto.com/webdav/site/manfrotto/shared/manfrotto_nord/pdf/1/128RC_20060301.pdf

Step 3
As suggested before get two plumbers wrenches or similar and lock them onto the two aluminium plates (one is part of the pan head and the other is attached to the tripod shaft) and unscrew in opposite directions. Mine wasnt to badly corroded so was easy.

Step 4
Reassemble the pan head.

Voila.

BTW the 3 screws have nothing to do with holding the head on.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
BTW the 3 screws have nothing to do with holding the head on.

The 3 grub screws do have nothing to do with holding the head on, but they have everything to do with the head not turning off the threaded shaft that does hold the head on.

If those screws are not turned out sufficiently the head will not turn off the column regardless of what you do to it.

Mike

The 3 grub screws do have nothing to do with holding the head on, but they have everything to do with the head not turning off the threaded shaft that does hold the head on.

If those screws are not turned out sufficiently the head will not turn off the column regardless of what you do to it.

Mike
So...let´s see if I understand this....even if the three grub screws fall out, the head´s not going to accidentally fall off, no?

Hi Sancho, The three screws when they are tightened against the head base, keep the head base from screwing off whilst turning head counterclockwise, if you don't want to use these three screws, just turn head clockwise all the time and follow your head around.;)
Regards,Steve

Hi Sancho, The three screws when they are tightened against the head base, keep the head base from screwing off whilst turning head counterclockwise, if you don't want to use these three screws, just turn head clockwise all the time and follow your head around.;)
Regards,Steve
Thanks Steve!

Years later, just in case anyone out there is still having this problem, as I certainly did today. I tried everything simple and obvious: removed the set-screws of course, reefed the pan-screw as tight as it would go, got a firm grip with the (padded) Vice-grips, applied the WD40, applied the sharp hammer taps, applied brute force, applied fervent prayer, etc. etc. No luck whatsoever. Finally, before drilling anything, before going to the shop, before buying a new tripod, I resorted to Mum's old jam jar strategy, and just held the darned thing under very hot running water for several minutes, and Bingo! (*v*)

Hi Skiphand, Welcome to Birdforum! That is a very good idea!

I forgot what I said to Sancho about the screws.;) That is just my sick humor. After this thread I have removed the 501 head off my tripod and installed it a few times.

Hi skipshand! I tried exactly the opposite i.e. I put the head and the column in the FREEZER for about 45 minutes. Even my little daughter would have managed to detach the head from the column then, if only it wasn't so late (spent some time using brute force to no effect...).

I also think putting back those three screws in and actually screwing them in MORE and then remove, coulde have done the job. That was my second idea but wasn't necessary.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back