• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Andrews Sketchpad (2 Viewers)

Cant speak for all, but yes, if I've left off for a while, my level seems to go back a few steps and I feel I've lost the ability for a while, Im sure as with everything practice practice practice, but as I only do this on a weekend as a distraction from office life, it does get difficult.
Im sure with the warmer weather and longer daylight hours, the pratice will become more intense and the results improve with time....
Like Tim, if I had a mad dog to walk each day, Im sure the practice would hold my deteriation in check, That said, Ive now got a pad of paper, pencil and putty rubber to attack my lunch time, and hope to make a bid for freedom more and more often during the week....

Another Graphic Drawing from a photo, The weekend opportunities arnt offereing up anything thats worth while for me at the moment, so having to resort to working from old photos.....
1.jpg
Sadly Ive caught a bit of 'shine' on the top wing........

My first day off in ages, suns shinning......so Is it just me, Everything Ive tried today, has turned out rubbish...? Its all ended up in the recycling bin.....

We all have days like that, Andrew - don't let it worry you. And, I saw the avocet before and really liked it, but forgot to comment - remiss of me. Suffice to say - the handling of tone here is splendid and there's just enough colour to lift the painting - it's a fine piece, well done.

Last edited:
My first day off in ages, suns shinning......so Is it just me, Everything Ive tried today, has turned out rubbish...? Its all ended up in the recycling bin.....

I've been there. I get a full uninterrupted day in front of me and hate everything I do! But as Tim says sometimes we all have days like that. You just need to count on it balancing out the next time out. In that sense it's like birding or fishing. Feast or famine.

days like that happen all the time, you just have to take them on the chin, sometimes binning everything and having a tantrum helps, sometimes saying 'sod this' and putting it away for another day works, occasionally, putting up with it and plodding on works. But then it can't be too far before you have a great creative day.

I also fall into the gulity party of looking but not commenting, I very much enjoyed the unusual point of view on the avocet and the very fluid shapes of the reflection. The refelction is more than just an image of the bird thrown back off the surface of the water, here it is an important element of the picture.

A different venue, a bit of sun, But still no energy to Sketch outdoors......

DSCN1954a.jpg

Need some serious attitude change towards the paper methinks....

AAAAAGGGHHHHH,
Fell of the front page again, sadly the outdoor sketching has gone to rats''t again, although the weathers getting a bit better as each week passes, although op north, they have a load of snow still.....
anyhow, Art classes, weve been mucking about with seascapes, and Tims charcoal seascapes have never left my mind.....so with a little effort and staring at Cornish seascapes (of which I have plenty..??) have started the prelim sketches for a large A3 (if the tutor has her way) watercolour...although not sure if Ill do it as a colour or monotone yet.....I have a small tin of watercolour graphite pencils i can play with for this one....
DSCN1956.JPG
Took a while to zone in, but managed to do this as a 'Negative Spaces' sketch ie just looking at the shaded areas first without doing straight edges, problem is now, I have a small stack of these photos with which to go mad with....
Tim, Your standards with the Charcoal Sketches are well safe, my efforts wont even give you (or anyone else) a sleepless night.....

Merde, Its Raining again...A quick Scribble of some daffs in the garden, done on sketching paper, hence the paper has cockled....
DSCN1960.JPG
Why are Bank Holidays traditionally wet..?

shame its not wildlife......weather seems to have had an effect on me. Think everyone needs a touch of sunshine to get us all out and about, Cant all retreat to our 'studios' and hunch over past photos....

Daffodils look good Andrew. Sometimes you just have to make the best use of what's available. But sometime you may find yourself doing a bird painting that just needs a touch of flowers and the memory of the daffodils might be helpful.

After 3 days of non-stop rain we finally have a beautiful, sunny day in the 70s, with more promised. Hope you get some of this same weather.

Haven't even finished painting the last seascape, and Im already roughing out the next one.....
DSCN1971.JPG
Its getting quite addictive....

That's a very energetic sketch Andrew - I like a lot. Hope you'll be posting your seascapes as and when they're completed -look forward to that.

Wip

Thanks Tim,
A sneek preview at the blocking in stage, the rocks will be very dark with little highlights, against a moody sky which has already had a few transparent layers added. Not sure what the outcome will be, just hope i can maintain the interest and see it through to the end...
Its on A3, 300 gsm - still looking scruffy, but now the fun begns

DSCN1972.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back