• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What digital Canon to buy (1 Viewer)

Hanno

Ho Ho Ho
Dear friends,

Advice is thought: I want to venture into digital photography. I have a lot of SLR equipment, especially lenses, and I was wondering if I could possibly continue to use these lenses on a digital Canon body? Which Canon would you reccomend?

I cannot pop into a shop and find out myself, digital photography is still in its infancy here in Vietnam.

Thank you in advance for any feedback,

Hanno

Hi Hanno, not too sure on compatability as far as new canon's with older lenses....got a feeling the old FD lenses will not work at all, they probably need to be newer EOS lenses. To be honest, it's best not to skimp on the lenses, dslr's seem to need the very best glass in front of them... especially if you're going into the 1Ds or 1D mkII.

The 10D still seems to be the favourite over the newer 300D, notably for bird/wildlife photography...but if you can afford the pro Canon dslr's, go for it!

Hanno,if you have the time,have a look in the photo gallery,and note which pictures have been taken with which cameras and which lenses.It may help.

Hi Hanno,
I think Andy is right about non-EOS lenses & Canon digital SLRs. If you have EOS lenses & your lottery ticket is a winner ( ;) ) take a serious look at the new 1DMkII. This camera is wickedly fast both in terms of frames per second & speed of autofocus. It has an 8.3 mega-pixel sensor with a huge cache buffer & a very rapid write-to-card transfer rate. The sensor is not full size & has a 1.3x conversion effect on EOS lenses. Autofocus persists with the central sensor up to f8 thus if you had a 600mm f4 lens it will autofocus with this & a 2x convertor yielding a total magnification of (600x2x1.3)/50 =31.2 times. This coupled with the large file size of Tiffs after raw file conversion (allowing considerable cropping) is coming close to digiscoping in magnification but with all the versatility of SLR. There is a downside however-one of these beauties will set you back about $4,500 US!

Dear all,

I would like to thank you for your input. The IDM kII sounds great, but I had better check with my bank manager first. I am going to Bangkok soon, where I should be able to have a look at the different models.

Cheers,

Hanno

Hanno, may I suggest you'll make a list of your existing lens. This list will enable us to answer the compatability question. There are great DSLR's ranging from US$ 900-7500 . All of them would give you great pics, if you've got the right glass. This is not the other way around.

Dror

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back