• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Leica APO77 Televid focusing problem (1 Viewer)

Only positive thing I can say, is that it did take Leica Germany a couple of weeks to respond to my original e-mail, so you may be in the system so to speak.
I think Leica are going to have big regrets closing the U K service centre.I've had on going problems with the Leica Germany service centre over the last 10 weeks but to be fair fair they did replace my 20x60 zoom eyepiece free of charge but locking system doesn't fit my scope.If only you could get on the phone and ask for some advice like when the Milton Keynes serve centre was open. JOHN

I was talking to 78 year old man from North Wales who sent his Leica APO 77 back to Leica 3 months ago because of lens coating problems he agreed to pay
a fee of £100 to Leica to have the coatings repaired on the scope.Then now after all this time he has another estimate from Leica saying that it's impact damage and the that scope warranty didn't cover the lens coating.Leica really need to get there act together people are paying good money for there equipment and deserve a better service than they are giving. John

I think the main problem is the availability of spares for these 'scopes.

During my time there it was very difficult (read virtually impossible) to get spares from the factory as most parts are made by outside suppliers who can close down, terminate contracts, etc.

I can only imagine that the situation has now got worse and that they simply cannot repair these older instruments anymore.

They are probably giving high repair quotes hoping that the owners will not go ahead with the repair and will buy a new Televid (which will be offered at a special price) instead.

Last edited:
I came on this thread accidentally. My sister and her husband were birding in the eastern USA in November when her 77mm APO Televid failed in the exact same manner. They were at Cape May, New Jersey when it happened, and two of the staff there joked about Leica scopes being "put together with a rubber band." I didn't know what they meant, but now I see that they were describing the actual construction of the scope. They said they had witnessed the focus mechanism fail on several Leica scopes.

I have a similar problem, main focussing wheel suddenly gone very very stiff and very difficult to turn. It will eventually focus after much effort and many turns. Any ideas what it could be. Scope is 6 or 7 years old so I suppose it is not under warranty ?? Leica Uk told me to contact Germany.........

I think even today the minimum warranty is 10 years so I suspect your scope is under warranty, glazzers. You should talk to them.

I'm surprised Leica UK doesn't act as the go between: what are they doing for their money?

A 10 year warranty on these 'scopes so you are covered.

Leica UK should be contacting Germany on your behalf - they sold you the 'scope !!!!

Contact the UK office. They have a system set up to arrange for a courier to collect your instrument and deliver it to the workshops in Germany for you.

Ok I did as you advised. Leica UK told me to contact Germany, so I sent Andrea a mail. She replied very promptly and told me that they were waiting on spare parts for focusing problems and these would not be available for 3 months ( ???). Leica would contact me when parts were available.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back