• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Getting rid of the Guardian (1 Viewer)

lpantic

I am in Southern California and have two hummingbird feeders in different locations. One outside my office window often has all 6 feeder ports occupied and other birds hanging out waiting for their turn. I have another of the exact same model of feeder outside my kitchen window that an aggressive bird has claimed for his own (or her, swoops down so fast it is hard to tell; I call it the Guardian) and lives sitting in the nearby pine tree watching the feeder and chasing off any competition. If I take the feeder down for a couple of weeks, will he/she maybe lose interest? I used to have large groups at this feeder as well until the Guardian claimed it and would like to get them back. The 30 ounce feeder outside the office has been drained and had to be refilled daily the past few weeks and the one outside the kitchen has to be dumped and scrubbed for mold because the Guardian chases the other birds away.

I have a feeling, that if you remove the feeder the 'guardian' is protecting, it may move over to your other feeder so I would leave things as they are if you truly enjoy watching your well used feeder ;)

Spread out the feeders

Dominant birds can indeed take over a feeder and another that is near. A single feeders will always have one bully/ guardian.

I resolved the problem by installing twelve (12) feeders all over the back, front and side yards. High and low in trees, off the patio and in some cases back in the woods. All the species & genders have their preference.

I also use many different feeder types and when I take them down to clean and refill they never go back to the same location. Although wild animals are 'creatures of habit' I feel that the location may be the same but a different feeder does not matter. I have found the Rufous will only concern themselves with the higher feeders. And they will ignore others.

I spread out the feeders making it more difficult/ more expenditure of energy for one bird to defend the food source. Plus, it allows the more timid bird an opportunity to sneak-in for a sip.

Here in Tucson we always have year-round resident birds- Costas and Broad-billed; Annas in the winter; many Black-chinned in the summer, some Magnificent; passing through Rufous. Last summer/ fall we had seven species.

Other neighbors here in SE Arizona also adhere to the many is better at attracting. But you also need some flowers as they do indeed enjoy natural nectar. OH and some flowing water.

I suggest you need to distract that bully/ dominant/ guardian bird

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back