• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (50 Viewers)

As Sy has alluded to earlier, what a fantastic work party with huge amounts achieved. My recollection of March work parties is usually working in T-shirts as the sun beats down. Today we endured sleet, snow, hail and torrential rain before it finally started to dry up early afternoon. We also were thwarted by variousm mechanical failures, resulting in no mowers and just one strimmer running for most of the day.

However the full worklist was accomplished with included (apologises if I have missed any items off):-

- strimming of the foreshore
- clearance of the islands
- re-erection of the secondary fox fence
- securing the gate to the sewage works
- a thorough fox flush (nothing seen)
- completing to project to connect the fox fence to the hide
- fill in holes in the fencing along the boardwalk
- reviewing the fenmcing either side of the hide to ensure there is no visability of visitors to birds feeding on the Flashes
- strengthening the two stretch of fencing extending into the water
- creation of more gravelled areas for breeding waders
- filling in holes in the fox fence at the rear of the third flash
- infilling the gap between the hide and the blackthorn scrub with more cut blackthorn
- creating a screen by the ground floor entrance to limit the light flooding in
- clearing the Hen Brook of blockages
- installing the new weather station

Overall it was a stunning performance by the 22 attendees - Upstarts (John), Beyonder (Paul), Wheatearlrp (Mike), PeterE, Phil Q, Tim, Midlandsbirder (Craig), Hen Harrier (Jim), Hagar (Mark), Derek, Dennis (Waterrailus), Binus (Tracey), Woodchat (Dave), Gertatron (Gert), Whoever (Daniel), Sy V (Simon), Oriole Boy (Paul), Simon (Hairy Birder), Guy, UW82 (Des) and Paul A.

So many "thank yous" I dont know where to start but special mention needs to go to those on their first work party (Whoever, Midlandbirder, PeterE), Paul Moseley for interupting his Sunday to collect the equipment at the end of the day and Upstarts for his hidden work behind the scenes in preparing for the day and bringing all the tools together. Even those who turned up after the rain had finished played their part (didnt want to get your hair wet L'Oriel Boy ;))

However the biggest "thank you" needs to go to kingfisherajh for his stirling work through his recent posts for motivating the work party, which worked a treat. It was a tremendous turn-out and an amazing schedule of work completed in the circumstances; 99 out of 100 we would have called the work party off but I didnt have a single text or call questioning whether it was cancelled. This mirrors the efforts put in week in, week out by the Moors Pool work party every Tuesday. Many thanks for giving the work party even more purpose and commitment :t:

Lovely put Phil;) only thing you missed was Dennis was on his 1st work party as well.
I thing we get more response from this forum, than any advertisement on the reserve. This proves the value of this thread beyond all doubt, for all things Upton Warren. Like Phil said thank you very much to everyone I would go as far as to say, that since my first work party 28 years ago, taking into consideration the conditions endured today as well as the achievements, this was the most rewarding I have been involved in. And now you can all have a rest until September, unless you are coming to the Tuesday sessions at the Moors.:t::t:
Oh I nearly forgot Phil and Tracey and your 2 girls have a great wedding all of you.:kiss:

Last edited:
Well put Phil and the highlights for me today were;

Pulling up weeds on the islands whilst it was snowing!
Speaking German again
Sy serving drinks through the hatch of the ground floor hide - now known as 'The Flashes Inn"
A Peregrine
Sy swearing like a trooper whilst trying to get the Strimmer to life
The 'youngsters' who turned up, passionate about wildlife. There is hope!
General all round banter
Meeting new faces
Superior dark chocolate biscuits
Wearing waders - I may buy some and wear them round the house

Great day :t:

Just thought of something. You guys (unless you're FB regulars) won't have seen this. Based on the full-size version of my avatar, my long-time mate - Budgie (nickname) who had the dubious task of being my first Corporal when I came out of basic and trade training in the seventies, painted this:
Ain't she clever...

Attachments

• Heron Painting.jpg
    Heron Painting.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 90
5 shots from today the first 2 during the morning and the last 3 after we had finished the work.
1. and 2. part of the team - action shots.
3. The new shingle island
4. the spit (directly in front of the hide)
5. the 'Delta' to the right of the hide.
John

Attachments

• the team 1.jpg
    the team 1.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 110
  • team 2.jpg
    team 2.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 80
  • new shingle areas (2).JPG
    new shingle areas (2).JPG
    218.7 KB · Views: 71
  • the spit (2).JPG
    the spit (2).JPG
    217.3 KB · Views: 72
  • after work 4th mar  delta (2).jpg
    after work 4th mar delta (2).jpg
    216.1 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
5 shots from today the first 2 during the morning and the last 3 after we had finished the work.
1. and 2. part of the team.
John

You have an amazing knack of managing to capture us all standing around talking! :-O

Birding at the Flashes
Teal c40, Shelduck pair arrived late on.
Snipe c15 flushed, lapwing c40, curlew 15, Avocet 4, Oystercatcher,
Peregrine,
I think a meadow pipit was also seen by some one.
Have I missed out. Thanks Phil when you were fox checking, c50 mixed flock of thrushes and starling c30 were fieldfare the rest redwing/starling

Phil did you go to the MOORS birding

Last edited:
There was also a bit of birding done today:

MOORS POOL
3 Shelduck (pair and male), 2 Mute Swan, 7 GC Grebe, 1 Little Grebe, 26 Cormorant, 46 Tufted Duck, 6 Pochard, 19 Shoveler, 95 Coot, 4 Oystercatcher, 11 Teal, 5 Moorhen, 3 Pheasant, Sparrowhawk, 9 Snipe.

SAILING POOL
2 GC Grebe

FLASHES
15 Snipe, 4 Avocet, 18 Greylag Geese in transmitter field, Herring Gull, several Linnet, Fieldfare in fields to the east, 1 Grey Heron, Peregrine over, 8 Curlew.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for the work party today, had a brilliant time and as ever was ace being able to help out with the management of the reserve!

Thanks to everyone for the work party today, had a brilliant time and as ever was ace being able to help out with the management of the reserve!

Thanks coming all the way from York just for the work party (and the minor distraction of an American wood warber, you teenie twitcher! ;)). Hope to see you on the reserve during Easter.

Thanks coming all the way from York just for the work party (and the minor distraction of an American wood warber, you teenie twitcher! ;)). Hope to see you on the reserve during Easter.

What can I say, I'm Upton through and through!

Mega highlight for me today was a Harvest Mouse sat on my finger!!! Just a shame it got away without any photos!

So sorry I did'nt make it today, it was nothing to do with the weather, as a few of you know we were moving this weekend and we did'nt complete the final run until gone two o'clock.

So glad there was a good turn out and that all the jobs were completed, well done to all, and I look forward to the next work party in the late summer :t:

Great to see you as well Tim and always a pleasure to have you helping out. Thanks also for bringing Craig
With you, Craig and Jim a new team of young uns at Upton, to take over when Iv'e gone...but not yet8-P
B :)John

My first work party but definitely not my last. Had a very enjoyable day despite the snow hail rain and wind. good company got some worthwhile jobs done and added to my upton yearlist with avocet and peregrine but echo Tims thought that highlight was harvest mouse which i have never seen in the wild before. Shame it jumped into undergrowth just as i got camera out! cheers Dennis

1. and 2. part of the team - action shots.
John

Are you sure this was the same day all I remembers was RAIN,SLEET,SNOW and Hail :t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back